Contribute
Register

Can't postpone the upgrade any more, moving to Catalina...but it's not going smoothly

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yes, I know it's already 2023 and Ventura is out, but I like my Mac OS's a few years seasoned :D

Long story short, I finally upgraded from using a Firewire audio interface and thus I need to move to Catalina, plus I wanna use Sidecar with my iPad.

So I just bought a new SSD (they seem to have become very cheap these days) and went to install Catalina. Everything seemed to be going fine and I got the loader beneath the Apple logo to go all the way to the end...and then it just hangs there.

I hit the reset button on the computer and added "-v" argument into Clover and that is about where my expertise ends, so I am hoping there's someone reading this to whom it does not look like complete gibberish :D ... anyway, screenshot is attached if you guys can take a look.

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• viber_image_2023-06-28_21-05-07-132.jpg
    viber_image_2023-06-28_21-05-07-132.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 19
..ooops, nevermind guys... I just browsed the forum more extensively (probably should have done it first) and saw GTX 970 is not suported on Catalina :(

that's a bummer...so I'm aparently gonna have to sell it, and I was soooo diapointed when I saw it goes for only $100?? I think I paid like 500 bucks for it in 2015 .. time flies I guess :(

Since i already wrote all this, and maybe someone even read it, lol, I would apreciate some advice on which gfx card to get....I mainly use this build for audio but I use gfx apps from time to time, so i need it to not totally suck in that department.

thanks guys.

..ooops, nevermind guys... I just browsed the forum more extensively (probably should have done it first) and saw GTX 970 is not suported on Catalina :(

that's a bummer...so I'm aparently gonna have to sell it, and I was soooo diapointed when I saw it goes for only $100?? I think I paid like 500 bucks for it in 2015 .. time flies I guess :(

Since i already wrote all this, and maybe someone even read it, lol, I would apreciate some advice on which gfx card to get....I mainly use this build for audio but I use gfx apps from time to time, so i need it to not totally suck in that department.

thanks guys.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

as it is possible your intel gpu may work

A secondhand AMD Radeon RX580 would possibly cost around the same on eBay as you would get when selling your Nvidia GTX 970. That is the dGPU I used on my Haswell Z97X-UD5H system.

The IGPU HD4600 is natively supported up to and including macOS Monterey, but might 'suck' when it comes to using Graphics applications. It would definitely make your system quieter, which might be a bonus when using the system for Audio work processes.

This guide for a similar Haswell build initially running macOS Catalina (where the USB configuration was undertaken), then Monterey and currently Ventura might be of some interest to you.

I already have basic info in my hardware profile, do I not?
i7 ? There are many different versions. Which one specifically ?

The IGPU HD4600 is natively supported up to and including macOS Monterey, but might 'suck' when it comes to using Graphics applications. It would definitely make your system quieter, which might be a bonus when using the system for Audio work processes.
This sounds promising, and it definitely would work for me, as I won't be needing to use graphics apps on this computer, at least not for a while.

I will check out the thread you linked....hopefully I can make it work using my integrated graphics.

i7 ? There are many different versions. Which one specifically ?
Sorry...didn't think of it at all, since my issue was about the graphic card.
I just updated the specs info :)

Back