HD6870
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Currently running at stock setting, pretty much everything auto except HPET and AHCI just as Tony's guide for Gigabyte board.

Got a very stable system, boots fine, got bored, decided to overclock a little.
I only have stock cooler which came with a CPU so didn't want to do heavy overclock so I only change the CPU to 37 from 33.

When rebooting, it will give KP no matter what setting I have. I have multibeast SSDT for i5 overclocked and macbook pro 8,3. I don't have DSDT.

I thought my setting was wrong so tried booting Windows but no problem. I even overclocked to 3.9 (auto overclock setting by ETS by Gigabyte) and still boots fine. So I kept that bios setting and tried to boot to mac, still KP showing P-stepper error.
So it is indicating P state is not getting necessary code to boot.

I'd like to know how other i5-2500K guys are booting with overclock.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Currently running at stock setting, pretty much everything auto except HPET and AHCI just as Tony's guide for Gigabyte board.

Got a very stable system, boots fine, got bored, decided to overclock a little.
I only have stock cooler which came with a CPU so didn't want to do heavy overclock so I only change the CPU to 37 from 33.

When rebooting, it will give KP no matter what setting I have. I have multibeast SSDT for i5 overclocked and macbook pro 8,3. I don't have DSDT.

I thought my setting was wrong so tried booting Windows but no problem. I even overclocked to 3.9 (auto overclock setting by ETS by Gigabyte) and still boots fine. So I kept that bios setting and tried to boot to mac, still KP showing P-stepper error.
So it is indicating P state is not getting necessary code to boot.

I'd like to know how other i5-2500K guys are booting with overclock.

Please help and thanks in advance.

I have had the same problem with a 2500K and a GA-Z77X-UP4 TH, sorry I don't have a solution but you aren't the only one.

I have had the same problem with a 2500K and a GA-Z77X-UP4 TH, sorry I don't have a solution but you aren't the only one.

That is good to know. (in a way, I guess....) :)

Are you using an edited SSDT with your Sandy Bridge processor?

I am using SSDT from Multibeast. (for i5 overclocked)

Remove
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>yes</string>
from your boot.plist if it present

I never had that string in my boot flag.

Why are you using mbookpro system definition? I would go with the mac pro 3,1

Also any reason you are not using DSDT?

There is no DSDT for this board and you don't need it. Z77-DS3H is UEFI bios.

I will try with mac pro 3,1

Anyway, when overcloking, don't you just change CPU clock?

I personally wouldn't overclock without a third party CPU cooler especially when they are as cheap as $30, considering your CPU is much more expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Yes, you should be able to a small overclock by just changing the CPU clock (3.7 GHz should be in that range.)
Going much past that you would need to up the V-core aka more voltage which means more heat. Definitely don't do this with stock cooler.

I would try and reinstall the SSDT with multibeast and if that does not work you should try and extract the tables from linux and edit them with "DSDT Editor".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back