Contribute
Register

Can't boot into Windows using Chameleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-M
CPU
I7-3770 @ 4.0 Ghz
Graphics
PNY nVidia GTX 650 ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone !

I installed the chameleon bootloader, but it won't work for me.
DSC00318.JPG
I can boot into ML, but I can't boot into Windows 8. When I boot into windows I get this error:
DSC00320.JPG
Does somebody know how to fix this error? And no, it doesn't help when I try to repair windows using the installation DVD.
I am NOT using Chimera, I'm using Chameleon. (does that matter?)

A couple of questions to clarify matters.
Did you install on separate HDDs or on a single HDD? Did you clean install Win8 or install over Win7?
What was your install procedure?
If on a single HDD, please boot OS X, open a terminal, type in diskutil list and take a pic of the results and post it.

Hi !
I installed Windows 8 on a 60 gb SSD and mac os x on a 2 TB HDD.
Yes windows was a clean install.
First, I installed windows 8 on my SSD Using the installation DVD, and then I installed Mac os X on my HDD.
Thanks for your answer :)

Hi !
I installed Windows 8 on a 60 gb SSD and mac os x on a 2 TB HDD.
Yes windows was a clean install.
First, I installed windows 8 on my SSD Using the installation DVD, and then I installed Mac os X on my HDD.
Thanks for your answer :)

OK, open a terminal and type in diskutil list. Look at the Windows SSD. If it says the volume type is GPT, then that is the problem. You need to install Win8 on MBR for Chameleon to see the boot partition.

If you need to re-install Win8, when you boot with the install DVD in the tray, hit F12 or the function key that allows you to select a boot device. You will see the Win8 DVD twice, once with EFI or UEFI in front of it and once without. Choose the one without the EFI and install.
Best course is to reformat the SSD with MBR MSDOS FAT using OS X disk utility. This will eliminate the System Reserved partition that Win8 will otherwise create. If you want the System Reserved partition, format the disk MBR partition tables and the partition free space.

I prefer to have the SR partition as it is needed for Recovery Points to work properly.

A couple of questions to clarify matters.
Did you install on separate HDDs or on a single HDD? Did you clean install Win8 or install over Win7?
What was your install procedure?
If on a single HDD, please boot OS X, open a terminal, type in diskutil list and take a pic of the results and post it.

Hi,
I have same problem but I installed OS X and Windows 7 on same disk divided by two partitions. One for OSX and one for Windows 7.

I found out solution to my problem and it is simple.
I first started UniBeast. Then I made two partitions one Journal and one FAT with GUID option. After that I started installation of windows and just formated that FAT partition. Now Windows told me that I cant instal them on that formated partition. Then I rebooted and started Windows installation again. Chose same formated partition and it just went threw and installed Windows 7 I don't know how but it just went. Everything else went just fine. After I installed Windows I started UniBeast everything went according to plan. I started multibeast amongst other options I picked out chimera 2.2.2 I think and after reboot I was in BootLoader auto-loading Mac just press any key while it loads progress bar and you will be able to choose between disks.

I found out solution to my problem and it is simple.
I first started UniBeast. Then I made two partitions one Journal and one FAT with GUID option. After that I started installation of windows and just formated that FAT partition. Now Windows told me that I cant instal them on that formated partition. Then I rebooted and started Windows installation again. Chose same formated partition and it just went threw and installed Windows 7 I don't know how but it just went. Everything else went just fine. After I installed Windows I started UniBeast everything went according to plan. I started multibeast amongst other options I picked out chimera 2.2.2 I think and after reboot I was in BootLoader auto-loading Mac just press any key while it loads progress bar and you will be able to choose between disks.

These are basically the steps I followed, and my situation is basically the same(except that I installed chimera 2.2.1). However I have the same problem as OP. Windows 7 won't boot. The drive is partitioned using guid, but formatted as msdos fat. When I tried to install using uefi copy of windows, it refused, and said the windows partition was mbr. So I installed with mbr copy of windows. I was able to boot to windows after installing windows. I was able to boot to windows after installing OSX. It wasn't until I installed chimera that I was no longer able to boot to windows.

Diskutil says guid_partition_scheme. 3 patitions. EFI, Apple_HFS, and Microsoft Basic Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back