Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

So after recently doing an update to Sierra I decided I wanted to try to get iMessage working (a feature I never really bothered with). I looked through the guides and followed the process of updating my system definition correctly for this to work (selected the correct build, made sure the SN wasn't in use generated a uuid...etc). Prior to this I was using iMac14,2 as my system definition. I figured since I'm bothering updating this I may as well change it to iMac15,1 as this closer represents my hardware, hoping to get some stability and performance benefits from this change.

Unfortunately these changes left my hackintosh unbootable. When it starts up it hangs on the Apple logo for a while (without a loading bar under it) and then eventually turns into a circle with a slash through it. It stays like this until I power it off.

I tried to change the smbios through clover on boot back to iMac14,2 trying newly generated values and values used in my last working configuration. I have also tried boot flags -x -v -f.

On two occasions I was able to boot back in (once in safe mode once in regular mode) but following the same procedure is no longer working. The first time I got back in I used the magic wand and reconfigured my smbios using iMac14,2, but I'm still having the same issue.

I also have a time machine backup from earlier that day that I can just reinstall from if that's easier, but I'm unsure how.

Thanks for the help.

Update:

I can now boot using a USB created through UniBeast. I have tried many times to reset my smbios to iMac14,2 through both Clover and MultiBeast without any different results (Apple logo on boot for a while to infinite circle slash). Not sure what I'm missing or what else I can do other than restore my smbios to the same system definition I had before. I'm more confused as to why restoring it to what it was wouldn't just resolve the issue.

Hey SloppyClamPizza, were you able to find a solution to your problem in then end?
I encountered the exact same issue, after doing the exact same thing you did for the exact same reason (iMessage).

If you know the solution, I would be immensely grateful.

Cheers,
Oli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back