Contribute
Register

Cannot get OC USB Drive with Big Sur installer to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried these but unfortunately while they did clear out previous settings and arranged the "enX" order, it didn't fix my issue so I tried to go back to the Realtek kext maybe it would work with this so I cleared it before I swapped the kext file and then after I swapped it as well and the result was the same, didn't work with either of these 2 kexts but I'll remember about this deleting stuff as it can come in very handy. I guess Big Sur just broke compatibility with my network built-in chip so I'll try to buy a compatible PCI-e one and in the meanwhile I'll use the internet from my USB Dock as that for some reason works.
I have reviewed the data of your motherboard and your Eth has to use RealtekRtl8111 and not IntelMausi.kext as I suggested. But I see that it still doesn't work. It may be some incompatibility with Big Sur, as you say.

I don’t know if this is relevant?

• NOTE: Sometimes Realtek's Gigabit Ethernet may not work correctly if you have RealtekRTL8111 v2.3.0. If you see this issue, try reverting to version 2.2.2

• NOTE: Sometimes Realtek's Gigabit Ethernet may not work correctly if you have RealtekRTL8111 v2.3.0. If you see this issue, try reverting to version 2.2.2
@TurboPablo It is worth to try. Do it.

Last edited:
I have reviewed the data of your motherboard and your Eth has to use RealtekRtl8111 and not IntelMausi.kext as I suggested. But I see that it still doesn't work. It may be some incompatibility with Big Sur, as you say.
Sorry for being inactive, I decided to abandon the hackintosh project for a while and just use my MacBook until I figure it out as I realised my dock couldn't handle the network traffic I needed on just one usb cable combined with the external drives and keyboard and other accessories, the speed and ping was sometimes so bad I would've been better off using my phone as a modem :lol:
As I recently did my usual computer cleaning to get rid of the dust, I decided since I already a mess taking everything out I might as well look on the motherboard itself and indeed it is a Realtek chip on there so the Intel situation is cleared. Thank you for your help, I finally managed to get it working.

Thank you for your help as well, this actually turned out to be the fix, I remembered something about my kext version being different on my old macOS versions than the one I downloaded for Big Sur but I didn't pay much attention to it, I just thought oh well maybe I do have to update too since I've been using the old one for a while, but downloaded the 2.2.2 as you recommended and everything works fine now. :)
I appreciate everyone's help and support with my silly issues

Thank you for your help as well, this actually turned out to be the fix, I remembered something about my kext version being different on my old macOS versions than the one I downloaded for Big Sur but I didn't pay much attention to it, I just thought oh well maybe I do have to update too since I've been using the old one for a while, but downloaded the 2.2.2 as you recommended and everything works fine now. :)
I appreciate everyone's help and support with my silly issues
Glad to read you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back