Contribute
Register

Can I use an RTX Turing card as a display adapter for Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 D
CPU
i5-9600KF
Graphics
RTX 2070
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm new to the scene and am trying to install Mojave on a recently upgraded system of mine.

I understand that RTX 2xxx series cards aren't supported by any version of macOS due to the lack of web drivers, so I'm wondering if an RTX 2070 can be used in a Hackintosh as a basic display adapter? I understand the limitations of this as I'm losing hardware acceleration, but my i5-9600KF lacks onboard graphics.

If not then I'll either purchase a supported AMD card, I have the RX 580 in mind (I only need it for basic simulation), or I'll build a new system for the purpose of a Hackintosh.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm new to the scene and am trying to install Mojave on a recently upgraded system of mine.

I understand that RTX 2xxx series cards aren't supported by any version of macOS due to the lack of web drivers, so I'm wondering if an RTX 2070 can be used in a Hackintosh as a basic display adapter? I understand the limitations of this as I'm losing hardware acceleration, but my i5-9600KF lacks onboard graphics.

If not then I'll either purchase a supported AMD card, I have the RX 580 in mind (a far cry from the 2070, but I only need it for basic simulation), or I'll build a new system for the purpose of a Hackintosh.

Thanks

Yea I think that it is possible to use it just as a basic display adapter just like ou said you will lose hardware acceleration.

Yea I think that it is possible to use it just as a basic display adapter just like ou said you will lose hardware acceleration.

Thanks, I've been having some issues with my Mojave installation to which I shall open another thread, but this does eliminate my question of crashing on graphics incompatibility.

Thanks, I've been having some issues with my Mojave installation to which I shall open another thread, but this does eliminate my question of crashing on graphics incompatibility.

I am not saying that it will not cause some kind of crashing I honestly have no idea what it will do or will not do. What I can tell you is that I just tried a 1080 in a EGPU it shows up but its not working.

For those wondering, macOS is surprisingly usable without display drivers from my experience.

Safari works well with little bugs, the aero effect on each tab creates a disgusting black/grey pixel mess (doesn't appear in a screenshot) unless it's in fullscreen. Included apps like TextEdit work well, so does the System Preferences menu system and even Chess! - At about 5 fps...

My issues so far are as follows:

- As there is no supported GPU available for hardware acceleration, my CPU is under much more strain to both render graphical objects and compile code, this effects my ability to develop an application and render it to a simulator. As the processor is handling multiple jobs, I do encounter the occasional stuttering including obviously laggy animations.

- Aero/translucent effects in macOS are null, leaving an ugly black texture over anywhere it should be.
Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 20.01.56.png

- Loads of apps use hardware acceleration, in my case these apps include Visual Studio Code, Spotify, and iOS device simulators. As you can see below, VSC freaks out without acceleration (although this can be disabled for a usable experience in VSC and Spotify).
Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 20.22.50.png

- Not so much an issue, but macOS detects my graphics as "Unknown 256MB"
Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 20.28.29.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 20.08.34.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 20.08.34.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back