Contribute
Register

Building a Hackintosh that can boot Windows 7 but need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to build a hackintosh (Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, any one of these I don’t mind) that can also boot Windows 7. I need something fairly powerful as I will be using it for video editing on Adobe Premiere and gaming, but I am a complete noob when it comes to building a computer.

I have been researching for about 2 weeks now and I’m still confused :(

I have a list of parts but I don’t know if they will be compatible.

CPU - Intel Core i7-4820K (3.70Ghz) or Intel Core i7-2600k (3.40Ghz)

Motherboard - no clue????

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB or 4GB?

Ram - going to need 16gb but not sure to go with DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 240 Pin or DDR4 PC17000 2133MHz 288 Pin

Storage - WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA along with a WD Purple WD20PURX 2TB 3.5" SATAIII

Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Air Cooler

Power supply - Corsair CP-9020048 600W (not sure if 600W is enough or too much)

Case - CiT Venom Mesh Gaming Case with Black Interior and 12cm Blue LED Fan

The biggest problem I was having was finding a motherboard that would be compatible. I have checked this site and the recommended ones are very expensive. I don’t know if it is because I live in England, but the motherboards that are recommend are like £300+??? I’m probably just a moron and am looking at the wrong thing but I would appreciate anyone who could help me out with this :)

Thanks very much,

Paul

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to build a hackintosh (Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, any one of these I don’t mind) that can also boot Windows 7. I need something fairly powerful as I will be using it for video editing on Adobe Premiere and gaming, but I am a complete noob when it comes to building a computer.

I have been researching for about 2 weeks now and I’m still confused :(

I have a list of parts but I don’t know if they will be compatible.

CPU - Intel Core i7-4820K (3.70Ghz) or Intel Core i7-2600k (3.40Ghz)

Motherboard - no clue????

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB or 4GB?

Ram - going to need 16gb but not sure to go with DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 240 Pin or DDR4 PC17000 2133MHz 288 Pin

Storage - WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA along with a WD Purple WD20PURX 2TB 3.5" SATAIII

Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Air Cooler

Power supply - Corsair CP-9020048 600W (not sure if 600W is enough or too much)

Case - CiT Venom Mesh Gaming Case with Black Interior and 12cm Blue LED Fan

The biggest problem I was having was finding a motherboard that would be compatible. I have checked this site and the recommended ones are very expensive. I don’t know if it is because I live in England, but the motherboards that are recommend are like £300+??? I’m probably just a moron and am looking at the wrong thing but I would appreciate anyone who could help me out with this. :)

Thanks very much,

Paul

Do you already have some or all of the components on this list? Or do you want to build from scratch?

I want to build from scratch. I did however buy the CiT Venom pc case last night haha

So you got the case only then.

I suppose you are aware that the CPUs you may want to use are from several years ago. You may be able to find one second hand, I suppose, but the problem is the corresponding motherboard. The 4820K requires a X79 motherboard and the 2600K requires a Z68 / H67 / P67 or Z77 / H77 / B75 motherboard. There should be no new ones available now. Are you able to find one second hand? Are you willing to use second hand CPUs and motherboards?

Since you want to use Windows 7, you cannot use the current Kaby Lake motherboards and CPUs, as Microsoft and Intel have dropped support for Windows 7 for these hardware. You can, however, use a current Kaby Lake motherboard and a Skylake CPU (i3 / i5 / i7 6xxx) as Skylake still has Windows 7 support.

From an announcement by Microsoft back in January 2016 :
"Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support. This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon. For example, Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon."

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

The biggest problem I was having was finding a motherboard that would be compatible. I have checked this site and the recommended ones are very expensive. I don’t know if it is because I live in England, but the motherboards that are recommend are like £300+??? I’m probably just a moron and am looking at the wrong thing but I would appreciate anyone who could help me out with this :)

Thanks very much,

Paul
Any of the boards at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012NH1MCM/?tag=tonymacx86-21 will work for what you want.
Purchase CPU and RAM to match the boards support list.

Note that for Win7 you must have an early model Skylake or earlier system - Late model Skylake and Kabylake support Win10 only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back