Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Hi Guys new here. I just ordered all my parts for CustoMac Mini Deluxe then i see this new guide that uses
Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0
instead of the (January 2014 Guide)Corsair Vengeance 8 GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 which shows to different model numbers on the amazon and newegg link (Corsair Vengeance 8 GBCML8GX3M2A1600C9). I just need to know what memory modules i need for my setup.

Look up in this thread there are numerous links to GAs supported RAM list. But it seems like people who are having issues with specific RAM on the Z87MX-D3H board are in the minority.

Hi, I'm new in the hackintosh world. I've installed a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 Toxic in Mavericks 10.9.2 and there was no need any kext installation or something. The card was good taken by the computer and I'm playing STEAM games in very high quality. It's 1000 times better than windows I must say.
Thank you all for this great site!

It worked fine for me in a Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H.

After finishing the build I think I should have opted for a USB Wi-Fi adapter because of the following:

1. There are plenty of USB ports but only a couple of PCIe slots
2. USB Wi-Fi adapters are less expensive, as low as $7.
3. There are more choices of USB Wi-Fi adapters
4. You can put a USB Wi-Fi adapter at the end of a USB extension cable to position it for optimal reception but a PCIe card is in about the worst possible location in terms of reception.

You need to activate some kext or the wifi card was detected automaticamente?

Interchanging parts?

Just wondering if these parts are interchangeable, as long as they are compatible with each other in the end? I like some of the suggested builds, but I want to build the Budget ATX with the i5-4570 over the recommended i5-4430. Also, even RAM that isn't suggested should work, as long as it has the same specs, latency and all? Thanks in advance.

Why not include the 2TB and 3TB Seagate SATA drives too?

Also, One more vote for adding the Fractal Design Define r4 case, which I have and is pretty damn awesome. It's heavy, well-built and very quiet.

This is potentially worth adding ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002S53IG8/?tag=tonymacx86-21

(Syba 2 Port 1394B with 1 Port 1394A PCI-Express x1 Card)

Very useful for people like me who are used to firewire800, don't want to purchase a Thunderbolt board, and get a board (like the GA-Z87X-UD5H) that only have headers for Firewire400. It's only £25 and works out of the box perfectly.

I've had this board for a month and my rear USB ports are fine. Maybe there is a just a bad batch of these going around but I can report mine (purchased from amazon) does not suffer from this problem as yet.

In any case, it's a hardware issue and not a hackintosh one. There's plenty people with this board and working rear USB3 but unsurprisingly, they're not piping up in the forum threads where users are reporting issues.

The [ASUS] GT640 needs to be removed from the list. It is not UEFI supported. Since all [hackintosh] mobo's are UEFI the GT640 is rendered useless for a hackingtosh. Thanks.

Just wondering if these parts are interchangeable, as long as they are compatible with each other in the end? I like some of the suggested builds, but I want to build the Budget ATX with the i5-4570 over the recommended i5-4430. Also, even RAM that isn't suggested should work, as long as it has the same specs, latency and all? Thanks in advance.

Good name brand ram with same specs should work and use whatever CPU fits the socket.
I don't know why they insist on recommending this ram over that ram. It's all the same if it has the same spec and you get it for a better price. If the CPU is supported by your chosen motherboard than it should work without issues.

I've been using Mac Pros and Macbook Pros for the past 4 years. Decided its time to test out a TonyMac Hack ... going to build from the buyers guide: Custom MacMini Deluxe with the i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and will add a couple 3TB drives for backup. I'll keep everyone posted.... This looks like a great community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back