Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Thanks for the comments. I'm currently using a Gigabyte Z87X board for my main rig, and we've done extensive testing on the recommended boards. As stated many times over, these motherboards are in our opinion the best you can get for building a custom rig. I am familiar with the threads in question, however I'm not convinced that the issues that are springing up are hardware related. Rather they may be related to other factors such as UEFI setup, RAM timings, peripherals, and OS X Mavericks in general.

Hey i have a customac budget atx build. With a ga h87 d3h motherboard and a i5 4430 processor.
When i boot with a unibeast usb(as created by using your guide) i get stuck at apple logo with a spinning wheel. The spinning wheel stops spinning after some time and it gets stuck at that point.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.A friend of mine told me that i should not use haswell as it is not recommended.Instead i should use some ivy processor.Had almost given up hope till i read your post.
Thnkx for your time.

Tony

I want to consult you about the following combination of components: Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P85-D3 and the video card Asus GeForce GT210. Is it advisable to use?

MAVERICKS 10.9.2 SUPPORTED HARDWARE LIST??

If I buy a hardware listed in this "Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014" page, does it means that these hardware are tested to work in a HackIntosh build under OS X Mavericks 10.9.2? I know that it is not a warranty, but are these hardware listed because they work for Mavericks, or Lion, or Snow Leaopard or all of them, or just one of them?

I am particularly looking for video cards for video editing (Final Cut Pro) Hackintosh, maybe the GeForge GT 650 Ti. But I am not sure if the listed video cards is for Mavericks or for another version of OS X.

Also, I did not see the CPU Intel Core i5-2500K and its integrated HD 3000 video card. Is it not compatible with Mavericks 10.9.2?

I did a check in HCL 10.9.2 and I could not find some of the video cards listed here listed in their list of Mavericks 10.9.2?

Also, if a hardware is Mavericks 10.9 compatible, is it safe to assume that it will be Mavericks 10.9.2 and subsequent updates to Mavericks? or does i depend on each OS X upgrade release? i.e., once I have my HackIntosh set up, can I use the Apple appstore and "check for updates..." as a real Mac and safely get upgrades and security patches, or is there a risk of bricking my HackIntosh?

MY current hardware is as follows? Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H rev1.0; Intel Core i5-2500K; 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD with dual boot partition; 8GB DDR3-1600MHz Corsairs Avenger; USB keyboard and mouse; current video card: GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB and Intel HD 3000 --> Looking to upgrade to GeForce GT 650 Ti 1GB DDR5 and HD3000.

In a related question: IF I FOUND THE DSDT FOR MY MOTHERBOARD, does the same DSDT file works for all OS X versions, from Snow Leopard to Mavericks 10.9.2? or do I have to find the DSDT for each version of OS X?

Just needed some clarification. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Looking forwards to rebuilding my HackIntosh with new hardware and for Mavericks (Currently maxed out at Snow Leopard and finally taking the plunge into Mavericks).

PS: One Final, just-in-case-you-know question: Anyone got a GeForce 9600 GSO 768 or variant to work under Mavericks? I know it was a hassle getting it to work properly under Snow Leopard, but just in case i can save myself the purchase of a replacement video card.

MAVERICKS 10.9.2 SUPPORTED HARDWARE LIST??

If I buy a hardware listed in this "Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014" page, does it means that these hardware are tested to work in a HackIntosh build under OS X Mavericks 10.9.2? I know that it is not a warranty, but are these hardware listed because they work for Mavericks, or Lion, or Snow Leaopard or all of them, or just one of them?
Everything in the current Buyer's Guide will run Mavericks with no problem. None of the builds listed will work with Snow Leopard.

Also, I did not see the CPU Intel Core i5-2500K and its integrated HD 3000 video card. Is it not compatible with Mavericks 10.9.2?
The I5 and a Z68 mobo will work just fine with Mavericks. I'm using that combo myself.

MY current hardware is as follows? Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H rev1.0; Intel Core i5-2500K; 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD with dual boot partition; 8GB DDR3-1600MHz Corsairs Avenger; USB keyboard and mouse; current video card: GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB and Intel HD 3000 --> Looking to upgrade to GeForce GT 650 Ti 1GB DDR5 and HD3000.
Can't see any problems with getting that build to run Mavericks with or without a gfx card.

The I5 and a Z68 mobo will work just fine with Mavericks. I'm using that combo myself.

Can't see any problems with getting that build to run Mavericks with or without a gfx card.

Thank you for your reply. It is reassuring to know I have the right parts before starting.

Did you get both the integrated HD3000 and the discrete video card working under Mavericks? or did you have to choose to use the discrete card and disable the HD 3000? If you got both video cards working, do they work together? or does each video card work with the monitor attached to it? Do you know if Mavericks installation is different if I want to enable both video cards?

In my Win7 settings (planning dual boot), I have the video cards working under VIRTU driver, so that the computer automatically switches between the cards depending on the graphics load and even distribute the load among the cards if the load is really high.

Finally, do you you if the DSDT file for a motherboard is good for any version of OS X being installed as long as the BIOS version matches? or do I have to find different DSDT files depending on whether I am installing Mavericks or Lion, etc.?

Thanks again for your reassuring reply.

Everything in the current Buyer's Guide will run Mavericks with no problem. None of the builds listed will work with Snow Leopard.

The word 'everything' may not be accurate as I have this TP-Link WDN4800 wifi issue for months now since the release of Mavericks. Most users suggest turning of some settings but disconnection and slow bandwidth issues still persist. I always follow tonymacx86's Buyer's Guide as says those are the recommended builds and it is up to date. But he doesn't seem to notice those posts on the forum in this particular model. It even says that the wifi works OOB. So why recommend the WDN4800 when it's fully functional?

Tony just a recommendation for cases is the corsair 750d, 800d, and 900d all have good room and 900d great for water cooling enthusiasts with mounting for up to 5 radiators and the next case i'm going to use in my next build because of cooling. 750 and 800 still have good mounts. Plus there is multiple corsair cases on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back