Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Is TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 still the recommended wifi adapter for Mavericks? I still have a lot of issues with it.

It worked fine for me in a Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H.

After finishing the build I think I should have opted for a USB Wi-Fi adapter because of the following:

1. There are plenty of USB ports but only a couple of PCIe slots
2. USB Wi-Fi adapters are less expensive, as low as $7.
3. There are more choices of USB Wi-Fi adapters
4. You can put a USB Wi-Fi adapter at the end of a USB extension cable to position it for optimal reception but a PCIe card is in about the worst possible location in terms of reception.

Hi Guys new here. I just ordered all my parts for CustoMac Mini Deluxe then i see this new guide that uses
[h=1]Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0
instead of the (January 2014 Guide)Corsair Vengeance 8 GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 which shows to different model numbers on the amazon and newegg link (Corsair Vengeance 8 GBCML8GX3M2A1600C9). I just need to know what memory modules i need for my setup.[/h]

Building a new Hackintosh... Only thing I'm not sure about is the Ram... and now reading Linkandzelda's problem, i'm anxious on what to get... I was also looking for Corsair Vengeance...

- Are the suggested ones in the Customac list bug free?
- Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

d

Building a new Hackintosh... Only thing I'm not sure about is the Ram... and now reading Linkandzelda's problem, i'm anxious on what to get... I was also looking for Corsair Vengeance...

- Are the suggested ones in the Customac list bug free?
- Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

d

Hi Guys new here. I just ordered all my parts for CustoMac Mini Deluxe then i see this new guide that uses
Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0
instead of the (January 2014 Guide)Corsair Vengeance 8 GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 which shows to different model numbers on the amazon and newegg link (Corsair Vengeance 8 GBCML8GX3M2A1600C9). I just need to know what memory modules i need for my setup.

It is worth making sure your ram is on this list.
Though there are plenty of modules on that list that work perfectly fine.

To the crew @ tonymacx86 - Awesome article guys/gals.

REALLY makes me want to fork over $1.5k - $2k for a serious build -- I started with this site on my old Dell 1525 about 4-5 years ago- and your site was the only one where I found solutions to my issues I ran into (it still runs perfectly to this day by the way).

I went ahead and donated because this article is that valuable to me - a list like this, ordered and carefully picked out was non-existent 4-5 years ago and it was much harder trying to find "updated hardware" that was supported.

Just wanted to say thank you -- you guys are doing an amazing job, please please PLEASE keep this list updated with the latest and greatest.

Thank you for your hard work!

Hi guys,
What type of wire do I need to buy if my display is a 4K display. I mean which one should I use: Should I use a thunderbolt cable or some other cable. I am using two displays.

Any chance to have some kind of "average MSRP" added to the parts? Would help to get a quicker feeling of what's listed.

Not faulty per se, but many people have found that a few very particular models result in these freezing issues with this motherboard. Before you go out and buy new ram make sure that the RAM is in slot 1 and 2 (there is some writing on your mother board showing you which slot is which, they are NOT next to each other). That solved it for some people, but not for me. I had to purchase a different model # to stop my freezing issues.

Good Luck! keep us updated.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I havent tried it yet, but what I did do was remove my external HDD (which is WD 2TB and NTFS and runs with paragon NTFS), and the system has been stable for 46+ hours so far... Quite hard to believe. The other things I did were unplug the keyboard, couple hubs, sound and mic so not sure if it completely isolated the problem that way. I left it playing youtube videos and music without being plugged in in he corner while I use my old machine, and it has no crashed.

What should I do, should I try the RAM fix you mentioned or should I reboot it to see if this wasn't just a lucky boot? Plug back my mic and stuff to continue testing? This thing is so unpredictable I don't know how to proceed! lol

It worked fine for me in a Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H.

After finishing the build I think I should have opted for a USB Wi-Fi adapter because of the following:

1. There are plenty of USB ports but only a couple of PCIe slots
2. USB Wi-Fi adapters are less expensive, as low as $7.
3. There are more choices of USB Wi-Fi adapters
4. You can put a USB Wi-Fi adapter at the end of a USB extension cable to position it for optimal reception but a PCIe card is in about the worst possible location in terms of reception.

One disadvantage with USB Wi-Fi is that most require drivers from the USB's manufacturer
that must be OS X compatible. When Apple updates the OS those manufacturers of the USB
dongles take some time to produce the new updated drivers. In the meantime you are left
without working wifi for weeks or even months.

Has the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH board's Thunderbolt 2.0 been confirmed to work in Mountain Lion? Or is Thunderbolt 2.0 only compatible with Mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back