Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2014

Hey Tony, thanks for the reply. I know you're a busy man but is there any chance you could specify your z87 setup and your bios settings, its plaguing a lot of us.

Thanks!

I agree, I have a Z87M-D3H mobo and can't seem to find the magical BIOS settings to make this random freezing issues go away for good. If someone could post their BIOS settings that would be great. Thx.

I'm using the GA-Z87MX-D3H and besides freezes from too much undervolting in the first few days :D I haven't noticed any problems with this board. I'm running the F6 Ozmosis BIOS on this board and it behaves like a real Mac.

My changes in BIOS:
enable C1E
enable C3/C6
enable EIST
choose X.M.P Profile1
choose Enhanced Stability for Memory
disable VT-d
Windows 8 WHQL
disable CSM support
disable Secure Boot
XHCI auto
enable EHCI Hand-off
disable Serial Port
disable Parallel Port
disable Wake on LAN
enable ErP

I agree, I have a Z87M-D3H mobo and can't seem to find the magical BIOS settings to make this random freezing issues go away for good. If someone could post their BIOS settings that would be great. Thx.

Don't worry. We got it sorted.

I'm using the GA-Z87MX-D3H and besides freezes from too much undervolting in the first few days :D I haven't noticed any problems with this board. I'm running the F6 Ozmosis BIOS on this board and it behaves like a real Mac.

My changes in BIOS:
enable C1E
enable C3/C6
enable EIST
choose X.M.P Profile1
choose Enhanced Stability for Memory
disable VT-d
Windows 8 WHQL
disable CSM support
disable Secure Boot
XHCI auto
enable EHCI Hand-off
disable Serial Port
disable Parallel Port
disable Wake on LAN
enable ErP

That... is not how we got it sorted.

If you are one of the ones being plagued by the freezing then you should ensure that you have RAM from this list.
Then enter BIOS
set optimized defaults (Make sure XMP = Disabled)
Disable all c states
You can leave EIST on, but if you keep getting freezes turn it off
Vrin=Extreme
disable intel onboard graphics (assuming you have a GPU)

Ok now save and exit, boot into OsX. If you have your FakeSMC plugins and your FakeSMC HWM installed then rerun Multibeast and do your build again without them

That is a pile of the different things that have helped people. I am stable OC now with JUST the proper RAM, onboard graphics=disabled, vrin=Extreme, xmp=Disabled and Fakesmc plugins uninstalled.

So once you are stable with EVERYTHING as I said above, slowly change one variable at a time, run for a few days, then change another thing to how you want it and I will predict you find your culprit pretty quickly.

Ok, so what i read was not so satisfying..

I want to build a new Hackintosh, so I have chosen the GA-Z87X-UD3H and the Crucial Ballistik Sport DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 (BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00). I don't want any freezing issues :/

So what are your opinion? I know, the issues we are talking about appear with the GA-Z87M-3DH. But I don't think there are a lot of differences between the GA-Z87 Series...

Does anybody know what's up with the Crucial RAM instead of Corsair? Is there a clear better choice of one over the other now?

Thanks!

EDIT: the 1866Mhz Crucial RAM actually takes you to a 1600Mhz version

Does anybody know what's up with the Crucial RAM instead of Corsair? Is there a clear better choice of one over the other now?

Thanks!

EDIT: the 1866Mhz Crucial RAM actually takes you to a 1600Mhz version
We switched to Crucial as it has faster timings and lower cost than the Corsairs we were previously recommending. In addition we added the 1866 that you found.

If using GA-Z87N-WIFI, no need
IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter to use wireless keyboard
?
Thank you.

If using GA-Z87N-WIFI, no need
IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter to use wireless keyboard
?
Thank you.

Last I heard on that MB was that the integrated WiFi was not working but the integrated bluetooth was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back