Contribute
Register

Budget (~$600) El Capitan/Sierra Office Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.
My office is offering ~$600 for a desktop office computer. As a web developer, graphics designer, and life-long mac user I was hoping to build a Hackintosh that I can reliably use. Something that performs much better than my Late 2010 Macbook Pro (fully upgraded). I would also like to do some video editing and 3d modeling with this machine.

The challenge I'm worried about most is being able to run two of these large monitors, which I already have and not part of the list.

The latest guide I have confidence in following properly is wildwillow's Haskell Build. Which looks straight forward, but hasn't been posted to for some time. I would love to run sierra, but would be fine with El Capitan for sake of stability and ease of installation and documentation (that's why I'm following this guide in particular).

I'm close to pulling the trigger on this, and would love some answers to questions like: Should I use this build or is there something better (easier, faster, up-to-date), should I spend the dough on a 2011 mac mini instead? Can I use this as an office machine?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your time and interest!

My Shopping List:
ADATA Premier SP600 64GB 2.5 Inch SATA III (for OS and Photoshop) $34
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) $75
EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit DVI/HDMI/VGA Low Profile $70
Intel Core i5 6500 3.20 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 $204
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H170 Mini-ITX DDR4 $114
-Total $497-

Already Haves:
1TB Hard drive
Computer Case (there's an office graveyard to pick from)
LOGISYS Computer PS480D 480W ATX12V Energy Star ATX 12V Power Supply
Mouse
Keyboard
2 x Monitors

Have access to, but don't intend on using:
Intel Motherboard DH55TC
2 x 8Gb Ram 1600Mhz
2 x 2Gb Ram 1333Mhz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back