Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SOLVED] Broken speedstep on Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Hello,

I'm trying to use Mavericks on Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (TPY in short).
The model number is 20CD0038KR and its specs are following:
- CPU: i7-4500u (1.8GHz, turbo 3.0GHz, 15W TDP, 2 cores, 4 threads)
- Display: 12.5" FHD IPS with multitouch and wacom digitizer
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
- Memory: 8GB DDR3L
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- and so on: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga/#techspecs

I managed to install Mavericks on it but can't fix speedstep.
The base frequency is set to 2.4GHz and the whole system is laggy.
More specifically, it seems that it becomes very slower as soon as "SMC: successfully initialized" is printed on the diagnostic screen during the OS X boot.

HWMonitor shows cores are about 70 degree Celsius and their clocks are ranging from 2.2GHz ~ 2.6GHz.. It seems that they are always turbo boosting... But the system is very slow. In the Activity Monitor app, the CPU usage is 100% even for a small job (e.g. launching text editor).

DPCIManager fails to get P States with DMIDecode error and the log window appears and reports there are three P states, 18, 24 and 27 after a few seconds. SMCMonitor shows nothing in the P & C states window.

One more thing: XCPM seems to be activated as dmesg says XCPM: registered and IOPPF: XCPM mode. But kextstat says X86PlatformPlugin and AppleLPC are loaded but not ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

That's it for my symptom. I used Clover r2652 for the bootloader and ssdtPRgen to patch SSDT (with SSDT/DropOem = TRUE).
I attached my Clover configuration, clover boot log, ioreg (dumped with IORegistryExplorer v2.1), ACPI tables (excluding MSDM, SLIC, UEFI) and dmesg output.

Still there are lots of remaining issues, but I can't continue with this horribly slow OS X.
I'd appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 20CD0038KR.zip
    649.4 KB · Views: 164
Hello,

I'm trying to use Mavericks on Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (TPY in short).
The model number is 20CD0038KR and its specs are following:
- CPU: i7-4500u (1.8GHz, turbo 3.0GHz, 15W TDP, 2 cores, 4 threads)
- Display: 12.5" FHD IPS with multitouch and wacom digitizer
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
- Memory: 8GB DDR3L
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- and so on: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga/#techspecs

I managed to install Mavericks on it but can't fix speedstep.
The base frequency is set to 2.4GHz and the whole system is laggy.
More specifically, it seems that it becomes very slower as soon as "SMC: successfully initialized" is printed on the diagnostic screen during the OS X boot.

HWMonitor shows cores are about 70 degree Celsius and their clocks are ranging from 2.2GHz ~ 2.6GHz.. It seems that they are always turbo boosting... But the system is very slow. In the Activity Monitor app, the CPU usage is 100% even for a small job (e.g. launching text editor).

DPCIManager fails to get P States with DMIDecode error and the log window appears and reports there are three P states, 18, 24 and 27 after a few seconds. SMCMonitor shows nothing in the P & C states window.

One more thing: XCPM seems to be activated as dmesg says XCPM: registered and IOPPF: XCPM mode. But kextstat says X86PlatformPlugin and AppleLPC are loaded but not ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

That's it for my symptom. I used Clover r2652 for the bootloader and ssdtPRgen to patch SSDT (with SSDT/DropOem = TRUE).
I attached my Clover configuration, clover boot log, ioreg (dumped with IORegistryExplorer v2.1), ACPI tables (excluding MSDM, SLIC, UEFI) and dmesg output.

Still there are lots of remaining issues, but I can't continue with this horribly slow OS X.
I'd appreciate any help.

Please provide complete details in your profile.

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx). For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

OK. I updated my profile. Is there any other hardware information necessary?

I would bet that it is an NVRAM issue, because it can give you an awful lag. What drivers are you using in Drivers64UEFI? Your IOREG doesn't show anything under NVRAM.

Confirm with terminal with, "nvram -p" or "nvram -x -p", if you get the message "NVRAM is not supported on this system" then thats what you should focus on to get rid of your lag.
This post tells you what combinations of drivers to try:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?p=1852956
---------------
Have a backup USB boot device, because some combinations you will find are unable to boot, and you'll need to boot to put a driver back !
-----------------
Also, take a look at the attached config.plist, I would try dropping those the tables that it shows being dropped, thats a sample config.plist, starting point for HD4400. I got it from this http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html, lots of good info that I have been using when working on the transition to Clover for my laptops. Obviously, there are HP specific things you should ignore, but it gives you an idea of the general principles.
----

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.8 KB · Views: 313
I would bet that it is an NVRAM issue, because it can give you an awful lag. What drivers are you using in Drivers64UEFI? Your IOREG doesn't show anything under NVRAM.

Added EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to drivers64UEFI and everything works smoothly! Thank you very much!!

Now DPCIManager Log says P States: 8, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27.

Did you ever get the wacom drivers to work properly for stylus / pen support with the active digitizer? I am thinking of getting that exact same Thinkpad Yoga. It has features the other Yogas do not, including the Yoga 2 Pro. I guess you would know that if you have that model too.

Did you ever get the wacom drivers to work properly for stylus / pen support with the active digitizer? I am thinking of getting that exact same Thinkpad Yoga. It has features the other Yogas do not, including the Yoga 2 Pro. I guess you would know that if you have that model too.

No, but you may try the (expensive) Touch Base driver. BTW, the clickpad experience was bad in Mac. I don't know how to tweak it. See this thread for my installation: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/129864-mavericks-lenovo-thinkpad-yoga.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back