Contribute
Register

Broadcom dropped from Sonoma Beta

Yes, Sonoma has dropped support for the natively supported Broadcom WiFi/BT cards we all use. As Apple have dropped support for any system older than a Kaby Lake iMac/MBA/MBP (except for iMacPro). None of the CFL or newer Apple systems use these removable Broadcom WiFi/BT cards. They all use soldered WiFi/BT cards, which we can’t purchase.

Yes, there is a kext that works with Intel WiFi/BT cards in the Sonoma Beta OS. This is still under development but is unlikely to include any new or previously unsupported features, such as Airdrop.

Hopefully, when Sonoma is out of Beta testing and released for general public usage the Acidanthera team will release an update for AirportBrcnFixup.kext that will allow our Broadcom WiFi/BT cards to work in Sonoma, without the need to disable SIP or any other built-in security features.

I doubt the Acidanthera team have the time or inclination to release an update for the kext while the OS is still in Beta testing, as Apple could change things related to WiFi before they release the GM version of Sonoma. Which would/could make any work they have undertaken during the beta phase worthless.

Well that is my hopes and thoughts on the matter. Only time will tell if I am close to the truth.
I doubt Apple would do that, as they haven’t pulled the plug on hackintosh even tho it’s been around for years. and if they were going to pull the plug on the brcm support after an Acidanthera release, nothing would stop them from doing so for 14.1…

I think Apple is just purging Intel laptops/desktops from macOS support, and it’s just a matter of time before all Intel support is gone. Given that the entire mac line has now transitioned to Apple Silicon. Sad to see x86 go. But it is not unexpected. Intel should have used EUV for 10nm…

but... this thread is on Sonoma :(

Sonoma is not fully released yet, only Betas. It was just being pointed out that the latest Ventura point upgrade had lost Brcm too. So it's not likely to get better as Sonoma progresses:

I'm guessing that they will all be dysfunctional with Ventura by the time Sonoma is ready for public release.
I seem to be the oddball with bad wifi on 13.5. Driving me nuts.

Have you removed any and all WiFi ‘fixes’ you may have tried while dealing with these issues?

Is your macOS a Vanilla installation regarding WiFi, i.e. no third-party kexts in /L/E or your OC setup, no WiFi apps installed, which might clash with the native Apple WiFi configuration?

Do you have an Intel or other make of WiFi/BT card present in the Z690 system?

Have you removed any and all WiFi ‘fixes’ you may have tried while dealing with these issues?

Is your macOS a Vanilla installation regarding WiFi, i.e. no third-party kexts in /L/E or your OC setup, no WiFi apps installed, which might clash with the native Apple WiFi configuration?

Do you have an Intel or other make of WiFi/BT card present in the Z690 system?

All vanilla, nothing 3rd party or in LE, no intel WiFi/BT on the board. Will upgrade to 094 as a test in case something shifty happened there. It shows up in IOREG and all seems well but bad behavior. Im ok without but I am super curious to what caused it to fail.

All vanilla, nothing 3rd party or in LE, no intel WiFi/BT on the board. Will upgrade to 094 as a test in case something shifty happened there. It shows up in IOREG and all seems well but bad behavior. Im ok without but I am super curious to what caused it to fail.

094 didn't correct anything. A lot of head scratching going on here. I did notice that our card types are slightly different. Perhaps its just patience thats in order.

Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 9.32.24 AM.png

I don’t think patience is required.

The two Broadcom cards are different, same vendor ID 0x14E4 obviously, but different device ID’s.

Mine is an Apple BCM4360CS2 card (0x14E4 0x133) and uses the device ID 0x43ba, this module has 3x antennas.

Your Fenvi T919 is the Broadcom BCM4360CD card (0x14E4 0x111), which has 4x antennas. I am not sure which device ID your card uses, it should be 0x43a0.

AirPortBrcmNIC (plugin for AirportBrcmFixup.kext) supports these three device ID’s: 0x43ba, 0x43a3 and 0x43a0.

If your card isn’t using one of these three device ID’s then it won’t work in Ventura. You may need to add the WiFi cards PCIe device details to your config.plist, with a ‘device-id’ entry setting it to one of these three supported ID’s.

Hello,
The latest OS Ventura update works very well with Fenvi HB1200 Wifi/BT card.
As can be seen there are no aditional kexts involved :

View attachment 570873
hi may I ask, which app are using for this screenshot?

I don’t think patience is required.

The two Broadcom cards are different, same vendor ID 0x14E4 obviously, but different device ID’s.

Mine is an Apple BCM4360CS2 card (0x14E4 0x133) and uses the device ID 0x43ba, this module has 3x antennas.

Your Fenvi T919 is the Broadcom BCM4360CD card (0x14E4 0x111), which has 4x antennas. I am not sure which device ID your card uses, it should be 0x43a0.

AirPortBrcmNIC (plugin for AirportBrcmFixup.kext) supports these three device ID’s: 0x43ba, 0x43a3 and 0x43a0.

If your card isn’t using one of these three device ID’s then it won’t work in Ventura. You may need to add the WiFi cards PCIe device details to your config.plist, with a ‘device-id’ entry setting it to one of these three supported ID’s.
Smart advice, I'm out of the studio today but will try that. I feel like we're zeroing in.

Back