Contribute
Register

boot0 Error: The Official Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution 1 only works if disk0s2 is the drive you installed osx on. To check type diskutils list in terminal and note down the identifier for your drive then the the command at step six with your drive identifier.

Well just bought a 2tb toshiba hd today and ended up here due to the boot error and found the solution (1) fixed mine, easy many thanks.

Thanks, just what I needed. Also remember to disable Vt-d in the BIOS or you'll only be able to boot in safe mode.

THis method worked for me!!!!! Thanks tonymac what would we do without you? I was in despair when my working install would not boot when I migrated to a new larger SSD. How will this be handled in the future? All drives are going to be like this!!!
Is this something that will be sorted by Chimera in the next version?

Remember to disable Vt-d in the BIOS or you'll only be able to boot in safe mode.

Solution 1: Use UniBeast
Pros: Easy- OS X Only
Cons: Requires use of the Terminal and UniBeast drive.

How To Do it:
1. Install using UniBeast
2. Boot new installation using UniBeast created USB.
3. Run MultiBeast and install as normal
4. Reboot system back into OS X installer.
5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS Lion on.
6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:

Code:

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

7. Exit Terminal
8. Reboot Normally

NOTE: The above instructions are based on OS X being installed to a hard drive connected to SATA port 0. If you are using a different port you will need to get the drive device name from Disk Utility by selecting the volume and clicking Info.

Works perfectly with my Seagate NAS HDD 2 To (ST2000VN000)

I had this exact same issue after I upgraded to 10.9.2, had issues, then used time machine to go back to 10.9.1. Once I restored from time machine I got the error. Tried some things but what ended up fixing it was I loaded MultiBeast and reinstalled the Chimera bootloader. Once I did, I restarted and it was perfect.

EDIT: I was getting the error for my boot drive.

There is another way, which some may find easier (or not!) and that is to boot with MBR not GPT. You will need a spare HDD to do it.
After successful install of OSX (this has to be done on a GPT formatted HDD), shutdown and attach another HDD (this will be the final one you'll use in your Hack). Reboot with USB and use Disk Utility to format this drive with MBR (like you did when creating Unibeast USB). Use Superduper or Carbon Copy to clone your new installation to the new drive. Restart your Hack with this new drive via your USB and run Multibeast to add a bootloader. You will then successfully boot from the HDD from then on. You could use the other HDD as a data drive after that, just reattach and reformat it.

Solution 2 worked for me, but now the system freezes on the grey screen with the Apple logo.

Article: boot0 Error: The Official Guide

I tried to boot with -x and I got:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown9) on stack)

Any idea?

Option 1 worked for me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back