Contribute
Register

boot0 Error: The Official Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone...I've done everything as stated in method 1...but...damn it...got message
dd: /dev/disc0s2: Operation not supported
installing ML on probook 4530s wirh i5 2410.
Any ideas?
Tha for help

Article: boot0 Error: The Official Guide

Hello everyone...I've done everything as stated in method 1...but...damn it...got message
dd: /dev/disc0s2: Operation not supported
installing ML on probook 4530s wirh i5 2410.
Any ideas?
Tha for help

Try using 'disk0s2' instead of 'disc0s2' and see what that gets you.

Edit: Also, did you use Disk Utility to 'unmount' the drive before you issued the 'dd' command in terminal?

It did work but somehow my hard drive icon change to orange which means it is external..
Is this will effects my machine speed or this problem has its solution?

I did something a bit different to fix this: Booted into an OSX installer and used the installer terminal to connect to my network. I then copied the "boot1h" to the boot sectors on the large drive with the boot0 error. It worked. I explain in step-by-step detail how to do all this in a new thread "Boot0 Error FIX for 2TB Seagate Drive". This might be more involved for you than what is described here, so try the fixes here first. OK.

Please note that if you have an installer partition via XMove, the steps to connect to the network can be eliminated. You can reboot into the installer partition and will already be connected to the network. If you know how to use the terminal this is quite simple. There are only a couple of lines to enter. Easy really. Its all explained in the pdf. Read the attached or go to the new thread "Boot0 Error FIX for 2TB Seagate Drive".

Attachments

• Boot0 Error Correction v1.pdf
    259.8 KB · Views: 482

I get a sort of kernel panic, even after tried with option number 1. The screen is similar to the boot error but it gives me something like this:
boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: donexV&%/UAJ/"=? and a lot of strange symbols that I can't get from my keyboard. Anyone can help?

I'm getting the exact same issue! boot0: done followed with garbage. I've got the Gigabyte H77-DS3H motherboard & a 1TB Seagate drive (
ST1000DM003).

If you find a solution please post it! I can get by with usb booting, but I really really dislike it. :thumbdown:

MacMan,

Thanks for the guide. Mountain Lion 10.8.2 has been running flawlessly on my Hackintosh up until I ran Setup Assistant on my new MacBook Pro. Now when I try and boot I get the following error message:

Loading Operating System …

boot0: GPT
boot0: done

Not exactly the error message that you posted, but I figured it was close enough.

I tried "Solution 1: Use Unibeast" where my Unibeast volume is called "USB" and my Mountain Lion installation was on "disk2s2"

I launched Terminal and typed:

dd if=/Volumes/USB/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk2s2

The command worked and I got a [Process completed] prompt.

I restarted my Hackintosh, but I still got the same error message as above. Can you or anyone please help? I can boot into my Mountain Lion installation via Unibeast, but I would like to go back to the way it used to be. I never should have run Setup Assistant!

Bruno

After the unmount, the /Volumes doesn't exist anymore. The dd command won't work. I got an error saying no such file or dir.
If I don't unmount the volume, dd gives me a resource busy error. Please help.

try using of=/dev/rdisk0s2 instead of of=/dev/disk0s2

Just experienced this problem for the first time. My installation is a bit different from the one described in the original post —*I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and my boot drive is a 240 GB SSD, so the issues of large sizes don't seem to apply. Nevertheless, I got this error.

My fix was essentially the second option. I extracted the boot drive and used a USB-connected hard drive dock connected to my MacBook Pro. Since the drive is bootable, I reset the system into that install, and ran MultiBeast installer again with the same familiar options checked. Not sure why, but it worked. The takeaway here is that everyone should have a hard drive dock! They're relatively inexpensive, and with an eSATA connection, there is essentially no slow-down. Great for making clones and for booting in odd situations like this.

It should be noted that it is very bizarre indeed to see an installation that is normally at home on my desktop Hackintosh suddenly appear on my MacBook Pro. Surprisingly, most of everything adjusts and works like a champ.

I tried method 2. I connected drive to MacBook Pro and I got message that this disk can not be read. Gave me option to eject disk or initialize it. Any help would be appreciated. Also did method 1 and it froze on boot screen with grey apple.
Need help
thanks

I did everything as per solution 1, terminal informed me everything was done correctly and I still get the boot error. Boot error is slightly different than the one posted as after boot=done I get bunch of weird symbols. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back