Contribute
Register

Boot drives will not boot can't find solution boot0 error. Need help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
GT 240
(SOLVED) Boot drives will not boot can't find solution boot0 error. Need help please.

Solution

I stripped my computer all the way down to one stick of RAM and the SSD. That booted. Added the full 16GB of RAM. That booted. Added my user drive. That booted. Added my Time Machine/Rescue boot drive. Got the same error & wouldn't boot. Unplugged that drive. Booted fine. I then deleted the bootable partition off that drive. Machine wouldn't boot. Deleted both partitions, formatted the drive, and recreated both partitions. Machine booted fine.

Long story short is that whenever that drive was attached at boot, no matter what drive was selected to boot (SSD, old SSD, USB, CD) the machine wouldn't boot. After I deleted all partitions and reformatted the drive, everything is fine. No idea why just having that drive attached prevented the booting of another drive at the top of the boot order, but everything is working now.

Problem below
I've had my hack for almost 2 years without any real problems. A couple months ago, I purchased an 128GB SSD and moved the boot drive to it while keep my user folder on my 600GB velociraptor drive. Everything has worked perfectly. I purchased a new 120GB SSD and it tested faster. So I cloned the Crucial drive over to the kingston, ran multibeast on the kingston and rebooted. Worked perfectly. I also have 2 older 1 TB drives for time machine and a clone in the case.

I plugged a HFS+ formatted drive, in a usb2 enclosure, into my mac and my mac didn't see it. I unplugged the drive and plugged it into a win7 PC to format it. I formatted it NTFS, just in case somethign was wonky on the drive, and plugged it back into my Mac. Didn't mount and my keyboard and mouse were dead. OS X was still running with no problems, just not input from mouse and keyboard. I held the power button down until it turned off then reboots.

Now when I turn on my mac, I get the

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: test
boot0: done

and the machine hangs with that stick up in the top left hand corner.

This happens with either boot drives; current on the one I closed from earlier in the day. I have a mini running 10.7 and I've taken the ssd up to it and plugged it into the mini. Then I ran the newest multiboot on it and plugged it back into the mac. Still doesn't work. I've made sure the ssd is plugged into the SATA0 port on the mobo. Same messages. I've tried booting from the rBoot CD. Doesn't boot. I've tried booting from the USB boot drive I made after I upgraded to ML. Still doesn't boot. I emptied the CMOS settings and reset them in case it could a corrupted BIOS. Didn't help.

Anything else I'm missing? Like I mentioned, I've never had a problem with this mac until today. Is the any problem running Multibeast on 10.7 for a 10.8 drive? I could see something happening to one drive maybe, but I have two SSD drives that I can use for booting and both couldn't have gone bad at same time, could they?

I bumped my memory up from 12GB to 16GB a month ago. I haven't had any problems, but could this be memory related somehow? Bad mem, loose, etc...

Any help would be really appreciated.

gigabyte g4-p55a-ud4p mobo
16 GB of RAM
128GB Crucial M4 boot (old)
120GB Kingston boot (new)
600 GB Veliciraptor user drive
1 TB Time Machine
1 TB clone drive

Thank you for the help.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that. I've got 3 boot devices and all three do the exact same thing.

Kingston 120gb (boot drive in system when error occurred) I've run multibeast on it twice while plugged into another mac and it still will not boot. I get the boot0 error.

Crucial 128gb (old boot drive that was current as Monday and wasn't in system) I'm getting the boot0 error as well

8gb USB flash drive to boot ML that was verified to work after I purchased ML. I'ts going to to "boot0: done" and stays at the line in top left corner.

Is there any way this could be mobo related? All three bootable devices are giving the same error. The Kingston drive booted fine yesterday until the error. The Crucial booted fine the day before that and the USB flash drive was verified to boot before as well.

No idea what to try next. Thanks for the help.

iBoot isn't even getting to a prompt. Stuck at "Loading Operating System........................................"

Most probably not the cause, but could your BIOS boot preferences have changed inadvertently?

Thanks for the reply. I thought about that and checked them. Didn't see any changes. I cleared them and set them back. Same problem. I tried the "fail safe" & "performance" options and same problem each time. I've even pulled 12GB of the RAM out and same problem. I can't even boot off the USB ML installation flash drive I created. Same boot0 errors. Absolutely no idea what to try next.

What's weird is that I just cloned the new boot drive that morning (and rebooted several times to test) so if it was something wrong with new boot drive then I'd think I'd be able to put the old boot drive back in and it would work. But it isn't. Like I said, I get the same errors with iBoot and my USB ML flash drive. No idea. :(

Have you tried to unplug all drives except your boot drive?
I had (have) an issue with a drive that was connected to the system (my time machine backup) and was working fine for several month. From one day to the other, without an obvious cause, having this drive connected prevented booting. No matter which combination I choose, as long as it was connected no boot. Disconnected: Booting without issues.
Did not find a solution except reformatting....

Did not find a solution except reformatting....

Dude, why didn't you reply a couple days back? :) I just found that solution last night and added it to the first post. That was the exact problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back