Contribute
Register

Bluetooth missing from preferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Pro Wifi AC/USB 3.1 - v2702 x64 - Clover.
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600 + RX 580
So I finally had an opportunity to not have to pay attention to the kids, and I wanted to pair my over-the-ear bluetooth headphones, and I went to system preferences, and - no bluetooth. If I type "bluetooth" in the search box, the icons get grayed out except for "Keyboard," "Network," and "Sharing."

Is this a pretty easy fix? Thanks, in advance.

So I finally had an opportunity to not have to pay attention to the kids, and I wanted to pair my over-the-ear bluetooth headphones, and I went to system preferences, and - no bluetooth. If I type "bluetooth" in the search box, the icons get grayed out except for "Keyboard," "Network," and "Sharing."

Is this a pretty easy fix? Thanks, in advance.

You need to find out if it is compatible for Mac, may work with windows but not necessarily with Mac. Good luck.

You need to find out if it is compatible for Mac, may work with windows but not necessarily with Mac. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! I probably wasn't clear - I wasn't originally referring to a Bluetooth adapter (like USB). I'm talking about going to system preferences. There's no Bluetooth option in there at all. Footnote - I did go to best buy last night and picked up an insignia Bluetooth USB adapter, and it didn't even think about working.

Any thoughts? Thanks again!

The point is your bluetooth adapter/host controller needs to work with macOS. A good indication would be it showing up in system profiler.

The point is your bluetooth adapter/host controller needs to work with macOS. A good indication would be it showing up in system profiler.

I tried building a Hackintosh on this same configuration at the point when Yosemite became El cap, and I essentially bricked it. I remember BT working then. I just now, a couple of years later (while I'm on vacation), came back and completely redid it. This time, Bluetooth is conspicuously absent everywhere, including the system profile.

Odd side note - I was somehow able to get FaceTime and iMessage to work.

See attached picture. Maybe that answers a question.

Attachments

• 20171122_100254.jpg
    20171122_100254.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 443
I tried building a Hackintosh on this same configuration at the point when Yosemite became El cap, and I essentially bricked it. I remember BT working then. I just now, a couple of years later (while I'm on vacation), came back and completely redid it. This time, Bluetooth is conspicuously absent everywhere, including the system profile.

Odd side note - I was somehow able to get FaceTime and iMessage to work.

See attached picture. Maybe that answers a question.
As Bluetooth controllers are USB devices it is possible the port isn't working. See this thread for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back