Contribute
Register

Black screen with blinking cursor after updating Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't think you need the boot argument for a 580
Alright removing the boot argument worked. I had to change resolution in prefs/displays but now I get 1080 retina.

Have a look at this OpenCore guide for a Haswell system that is similar to yours - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-z97x-ud5h-bk-i7-4770k-rx580-ventura-public-beta.321378/

While the EFI has been created to work with Ventura it would only require two changes in the config.plist to allow you to run Catalina on your system.
  1. Add IGPU empty framebuffer entry in DeviceProperties section
    • Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 16.07.52.png
    • You don't need any other IGPU entries, as your RX580 is being used to drive your display(s).
  2. Change UEFI > APFS > MinDate & MinVersion entries as shown below.
    • Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 16.08.12.png Entries for newer macOS
    • Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 16.09.22.png Entries for Catalina
You should already be using the iMac15,1 SMBIOS on your system.

I would confirm that you shouldn't be using the agdpmod=pikera or any similar boot argument with your RX580 dGPU.

Alright will check it out Edhawk

Last edited:
Have a look at this OpenCore guide for a Haswell system that is similar to yours - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-z97x-ud5h-bk-i7-4770k-rx580-ventura-public-beta.321378/

While the EFI has been created to work with Ventura it would only require two changes in the config.plist to allow you to run Catalina on your system.
  1. Add IGPU empty framebuffer entry in DeviceProperties section
    • View attachment 555690
    • You don't need any other IGPU entries, as your RX580 is being used to drive your display(s).
  2. Change UEFI > APFS > MinDate & MinVersion entries as shown below.
You should already be using the iMac15,1 SMBIOS on your system.

I would confirm that you shouldn't be using the agdpmod=pikera or any similar boot argument with your RX580 dGPU.
The key/value pairs don't match up, is that ok?
DeviceProperties.jpg

MinDate & MinVersion are already set to Catalina. Are you sure it's not the other way round and Catalina requires zeros?

2 errors:

- No Schema for Mindate at 6 index
- Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values....

And back to blinking cursor. The Mindate was removed from config so added it back.

So the other Opencore works better but it's a really old one. Not very wise use that one on my main boot drive me thinks.

And back to blinking cursor. The Mindate was removed from config so added it back.

So the other Opencore works better but it's a really old one. Not very wise use that one on my main boot drive me thinks.
use newer then

? newer gives blinking cursor mate, only the one you mentioned works but old version.
To be honest I am a bit confused by the whole thing? As you've somehow gone back to square one?

If you've updated the EFI properly there's no reason why it should start blinking. Blinking usually means something in the bootloader is off - either the BootX64.efi, Opencore.efi etc is wrong or a driver is missing (like OpenShell.efi or OpenHFSPlus.efi). OR the config.plist is somehow corrupted. On all of the bootloader builds you have to ensure ALL the relevant files for the version involved to have to be updated to the same release date, which includes the usual OC kexts - Lilu, Whatevergreen, AppleALC, & VirtualSMC.

The best way to update the older EFI file is to copy that to another USB stick or drive, and then update it using manual methods or Opencore Configurator or similar like Hackintool. Personally I prefer Opencore Configurator - you just load up the old file using the latest version and simply re-save, add in your OC updates manually into the relevant folders and it is mostly done.

There is OCAT (Opencore Auxiliary Tool) but I would avoid using OCAT for now as I noticed it doesn't always update the kext files correctly even though its been specified by the user. Better to do a manual check of the folders to ensure the kexts have been updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back