Contribute
Register

Black screen with blinking cursor after updating Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I'll switch over to OpenCore today. Hopefully it runs stable and everything works as before. One thing that worries though me is that iCloud was complaining even though I used same serials. I think it would be best to log out of iCloud (also on iPad) before switching bootloaders.
Yes indeed (for precaution)

I thought I would try OpenCore first before making the final step. Good that I did. I have two OpenCore Bootloaders, separate usb pen drives. One doesn't work anymore with a big list of errors. I've opened it with OpenCore Configurator so it must have messed it up. I think it complained of not having the latest version.
The other USB pen drive with OpenCore works but I only get 1080 or 1080 and not 4K resolution. Also acceleration is slow/laggy even though system report shows full support.
What I already don't like about this is that I just lost all my tabs in Safari and no way to get them back via reopen last closed window. There were a lot of tabs (50 maybe) so not good, damn shame!
So one drive has Halting on critical error with a list of CS: No Schema etc... errors and the other drive hasn't got proper acceleration and resolution but seems to work otherwise.
Im not sure about my USB ports as well but that can probably be fixed later.
Also OC icons are waaaaaay too big, I can't even see what's left and right on the screen. I need to fix that before switching.
So I'm not switching just yet!

Here's System Report for the working OC and Error sheet for the non working OC:

Attachments

• Errors.jpg
    Errors.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • OpenCore Graphics.jpg
    OpenCore Graphics.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 21
Here's System Report for the working OC and Error sheet for the non working OC:
The list of errors on the left for the non working OC is showing you what fields you have missing in the config.plist for the version of OC you are booting. You are likely using an old config.plist with new OC files.

Ideally if you were using an older EFI you would use that versions OCC to make changes to the config.plist OR you update the OC files in the older EFI and use a new latest version of OCC to update the config.plist to whatever latest version you have (or edit and add them manually with a Plist editor). One other area a lot of users don't know is that for versions up to OC 0.6.5 their exists a Bootstrap folder which used to exist in the OC release build. After around 0.6.6/0.6.7 it was removed so that needs to be removed in all later build versions.

When we update the OC files we generally need to update EFI/Boot/BootX64.efi, EFI/OC/Opencore.efi, OC/Kexts (Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, VirtualSMC all latest versions), OC/Drivers and OC/Tools folder to the same release version.

If you wish you could also use OCCompare to check against the two plists and see what is missing.

As for USB ports, generally SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-PLUG.aml is needed in ACPI for Haswell, and USBInjectAll.kext and possibly XHCI-unsupported.kext is required as a kext install under Kernel > Add. If you are booting Big Sur you will need to enable the XHCIPortLimit quirk. If you need further setting up of the USB ports you could try either USBMap script by Corpnewt or the USBToolBox USB mapper tool both found on Github. Hacktintool is also a good tool used to diagnose working USB ports.

With regards to the non 4K output, it is likely you're not using the correct GPU AAPL,ig-platform-id nor device-ids for Haswell, or that you're missing some of the key settings such as framebuffer-patch-enable or enable-hdmi20.
The settings below should be added to the PCIRoot device properties for your Haswell Intel IGPU.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 8.32.52 PM.png

For the slow acceleration of your AMD RX580, make sure you have agdpmod=ignore set in the NVRAM boot-arg (this is the correct setting for RX580 cards afaik).

Christ I need to stop fooling around and stick with the old clover way. I changed agdpmod back to ignore on opencore usb drive so nothing to do with clover bootloader yet I when I boot clover I get the apple logo and after black screen and monitor goes standby instead of the desktop. Pfffffff no end to this mess. Oh I also lost my BIOS, only black screen. Ive had this before way back when I was also probably fidling around with bootloaders.
I guess my hardware combo is just not made to mess around with. Too old, maybe faulty who knows. But when it works I should stick with it, not even updating clover.

Christ I need to stop fooling around and stick with the old clover way. I changed agdpmod back to ignore on opencore usb drive so nothing to do with clover bootloader yet I when I boot clover I get the apple logo and after black screen and monitor goes standby instead of the desktop. Pfffffff no end to this mess. Oh I also lost my BIOS, only black screen. Ive had this before way back when I was also probably fidling around with bootloaders.
I guess my hardware combo is just not made to mess around with. Too old, maybe faulty who knows. But when it works I should stick with it, not even updating clover.
don't fix something that isn't broken

So now Im locked out again because i can’t even choose what drive to boot from.

Update: im in after a few reboots. I will give OpenCore one more shot since I changed agdpmod to pikera so could have been my mistake. If that don’t work im sticking with clover.

Last edited:
With regards to the non 4K output, it is likely you're not using the correct GPU AAPL,ig-platform-id nor device-ids for Haswell, or that you're missing some of the key settings such as framebuffer-patch-enable or enable-hdmi20.
The settings below should be added to the PCIRoot device properties for your Haswell Intel IGPU.

View attachment 555685

For the slow acceleration of your AMD RX580, make sure you have agdpmod=ignore set in the NVRAM boot-arg (this is the correct setting for RX580 cards afaik).
Setting agdpmod to ignore makes my monitor go standby after boot. agdpmod=pikera works but low res and prob no proper acceleration.

Setting agdpmod to ignore makes my monitor go standby after boot. agdpmod=pikera works but low res and prob no proper acceleration.
didn't think you need the boot argument for a 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back