Gigabyte Aorus Z390i wifi
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Greetings everyone.

This is my my first build, and I started with a very simple configuration, a recomended Aorus Z390 i gaming wifi with a Samsung EVO 970 SSD, 16Gb memory and since I have pretty modest graphic demands, I was planning on using the onboard Intel 630 GPU.
Everything was fine with the installation, I built a Unibeast boot drive, installed Mojave following the Guide procedure, and after booting from the keydrive one last time, booted the SSD and runned Multibeast to adjust the SSD bootloader.

It installed the bootloader, but when loading from the SSD the reported black screen appeared after the initial Apple logo. I know it booted, but the DP port went off and I got not image of the login screeen (it was there, I checked). I booted again from the keydrive and tried to adjust the graphics for the 630, WhateverGreen etc. but without success. I checked the keydrive (Clover 4602) and SSD (Clover 4609) bootloaders parameters and the only relevant differences were the Graphic parameters FakeID (0x12345678 on keydrive vs 0x00000000 on SSD) and *-platform-id (0x00000000 on keydrive vs 0x3E9B0007 on SSD). I changed the FakeID to the keyf=drive bootloader value and I now have a working DP, but it does not persists, on next boot it is null again. How do I correct this problem permanently? Multibeast doesn't help at all, and the sound is also not working even with the Voodoo kext installed. Also neither value seemd to be a appropriate one... How can this affect the boot process? Shouldn't both ports (DP and HDMI) work?

Please someone help a novice. I'm getting frustrated after so many boots.

(I read somewhere that I need to avoid APFS conversion, which happens at installation. How can this affect the boot? I would need to backup the instalation, reformat and restore the backup...)

Last edited:

I had already tried that with no suscess. However, since everybody pointed to the same solution, I began to suspect the problem was on the other side of the cable. I was using a old Samsung HD 22 in monitor that only has DVI and VGA inputs, and DP-DVI e DP-VGA conversion cables. So I borrowed my wife's superduper 4K Philips monitor, which has all kinds of inputs, and it worked with both DP and HDMI direct cables. I tried to define a low resolution an then reboot on the old monitor, but that didn't work -- it is not the case the cable is not working - the logo appears and I can boot at low resolution from the keydrive, but Mojave seems picky and sets high resolution for the 630. Is there a way to force Mac OS to boot at a lower resolution, say 1920x1080?

I built this with a low budget in mind, and that did not include a brand new monitor for now...

HDA Intel board still not detected by MacOS.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back