Contribute
Register

Black screen after apple logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! But would it be possible to get all the states that I would get in for example windows. My cpu is able to clock itself to 3.9Ghz and play around in the lower Mhz areas.
Number of Turbo States: 5 (3500-3900 MHz)
Number of P-States: 32 (800-3900 MHz)

So there should be 37 states for a i7 4770 (non k) right? Hmm that number is suspiciously high..

Thank you! But would it be possible to get all the states that I would get in for example windows. My cpu is able to clock itself to 3.9Ghz and play around in the lower Mhz areas.
Number of Turbo States: 5 (3500-3900 MHz)
Number of P-States: 32 (800-3900 MHz)

So there should be 37 states for a i7 4770 (non k) right? Hmm that number is suspiciously high..

First, you rarely see the top states with OS X. I'm not sure if it is because multiple cores are active, or if OS X is throttling it due to profiles for iMac14,x. I suspect it is because multiple cores are active because I see the top states on my machines, but very rarely. Per Intel spec, you can only reach the top states if only one core is active.

And as far as states between idle and nominal (in your case, between x8 and x35), you will not see those states using iMac smbios. This is the case on a real iMac as well, so it appears 'by design'.

You could change to a different smbios (only choice would be MacBookAir6,x or MacBookPro11,x, as there is not a Haswell MacMini yet). The MacMini and laptop smbios tend to use some states between idle and nominal.

If it's not too much to ask (you already helped me a lot!) can you please show me where can I find an smbios for MacBookPro11 ? I have done some googleing but I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

If it's not too much to ask (you already helped me a lot!) can you please show me where can I find an smbios for MacBookPro11 ? I have done some googleing but I can't seem to find one.
Thanks!

If you google search you can find the bits & pieces. For example, Pike's blog: http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com. And there is an smbios generator with it in the Clover Configurator. You could use it, but pull the various items from it to build an smbios.plist compatible with Chimera/Chameleon.

Generated the strings in clover configurator. Nothing changed but I can live with 800-3400-3700. The temperatures are fine so really it's not a big problem. I'm going to test the machine a little bit more, after that I can finally test my code on a "mac" :)
If I don't find problems I will make an Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 + R9 280X + i7 4770 Guide.
It was fairly easy to patch the bios and install OSX thanks for this amazing website!
Thank you! :thumbup:

Generated the strings in clover configurator. Nothing changed but I can live with 800-3400-3700.

Not surprising.

You probably do not have a build of OS X that supports MacBookPro11,2. Current MacBookPro11,2 computers have a special build, with additional files in X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources.

You might find the update is available in Software Update.

A little update on things.

So everything seems to be fine except a few things. I installed windows 8.1 on a different disk (an ssd) and when I boot into windows and back to OSX, my video card (sapphire 280X) won't show up as a 7xxx series card. It shows up as a 7MB ATi card. I can fix this if I change my SMBios to iMac 14.1 from iMac 14.2. So after OSX "forgets" my VGA I simply change between 14.1 and 14.2 iMac SMBioses and restart so my card gets detected properly again. Any idea why this happens?

Also Asrock released a new bios update: (2.70) The release notes say: "Unlock C-State MSR." Does this mean I don't need to patch my bios if I use the 2.70 one?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87 Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Ohh yes and GUI boot flag mode does not work with my setup (a lot of weird text on the screen). I need to boot without GUI. Not a problem just saying, if anyone has problems booting with a 7970/280X try to boot without GUI mode.

So I tried to boot with the unmodified 2.70 bios and it works! Now us Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 users don't have to patch our BIOS!

But I still have the "boot into windows -> boot into OSX -> 7 MB Videocard" bug. Does anyone have an idea why is this happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back