Contribute
Register

BitterMelon's "Chip" build: GA-Z77N-WIFI - i5-3570K - HD 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
BitterMelon, thanks for the write-up! Was very helpful :headbang:.

I've was waiting for Apple to release a new Mac mini, but no joy, so figured I'd give this a shot.

Assembled a Z77N-WIFI with i7 3770K, 2 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 and a Plextor M5 pro 128gb SSD.

The purpose for this one is just to hang on a wall, headless in a wiring cabinet as a server, so no real need for any peripherals, just ethernet.

Pretty much everything worked as expected, although getting the SSD to boot without the thumb drive was a pain. It threw the Boot0 error. Found and followed the guide for resolving that - http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html. Took multiple attempts, and not quite sure what the correct recipe was, but it eventually sprang to life and hasn't been a problem since.

Enabling FakeSMC was similarly problematic, but eventually it also worked as per your instructions and its been stable since.

It runs pretty hot though. For the moment, I'm just using the Intel CPU fan. Transcoding 5gb video files certainly warms it up. The CPU cores all report between 93 to 103c, so I bought a Corsair H60 hydro cooler, but yet to install it.

Bluetooth seems to work ok. Only using it for a keyboard though. it seemed a bit hit and miss, but I plugged one of the ariels in and it seemed to work fine then. Assuming the whole thing is stable, I won't really need that either as everything will be controlled via VNC.

Airplay didn't initially work, but after reading someone else's post - http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...no-airplay-mirroring-any-tips.html#post403350, I changed the system definition from iMac 12,2 to Mac mini and now it plays happily on a 3g AppleTV.

Also let the appstore install the 10.8.2 upgrade. No problems.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the superb work & guide BitterMelon,

Manage to build a HT Mini with H77N & i3 3225, waiting for AR9280 wifi card from ebay. Case is from Realan Q8 with 6cm fan helping to pull hot air inside. Looking forward to do HDMI audio.

Attachments

• 548070_10151191430257768_1498956308_n.jpg
    548070_10151191430257768_1498956308_n.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 55204_10151197256092768_63369483_o.jpg
    55204_10151197256092768_63369483_o.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 384
OMG That rig looks SWEET!
Nice job, man!

Wohoo! The WiFi card finally arrived! :D I wouldn't recommend installing it after installing the motherboard in the Prodigy, but I didn't want to take the whole build apart, so I had no choice. Some fiddling (and cussing) later, I booted up and found it, as expected, to work excellently OOB. Speeds are as expected, around 100-120 Mbit/s on 5 GHz (copying from/to my NAS).

After putting in the Atheros wireless card in the GA-Z77n wifi my wired internet connection stopped working and i can't get it back. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Mine kept working just fine. So I'm not much help.

Thanks for the superb work & guide BitterMelon,

Manage to build a HT Mini with H77N & i3 3225, waiting for AR9280 wifi card from ebay. Case is from Realan Q8 with 6cm fan helping to pull hot air inside. Looking forward to do HDMI audio.
Nice size on that case, very little unnecessary space wasted. Very Mac mini. :)

OMG That rig looks SWEET!
Nice job, man!
Thanks! :)

Bra jobbat!
Tack! :D

We just finished a dual boot Mountain Lion/Windows 7 build with the GA-Z77N-Wifi, i3 3225, 16 gig of ram, One Samsung 1TB HD system drive in 4 partitions and 2-2TB Hitachi drives in a 4TB raid configuration as well as a BlackMagic Intensity Pro card for digitizing and streaming. We replaced the Intel wifi card with the Atheros AR9820. As a hint for anyone building one like this, it is very important when building a dual boot like this that you put Windows on the first partition or it won't install.

The case is a Silverstone SST-SG02-F which is reasonably small, takes a regular ATX power supply and has room for a DVD drive and three 3 1/2 inch hard drives. The system runs incredibly cool with the stock Intel CPU cooler, about 31-40 degrees Celsius.

Wifi worked perfectly with no work required. The only problems i'm having/had are that it didn't want to seem to boot correctly for HDMI (had broken up screen) similar to other posts on this thread and that once i plugged in the Atheros wifi card, i can't seem to get my wired ethernet to work. I tried making the connection inactive as suggested in one of the posts and then making it active and it didn't seem to help. ANY IDEAS ON THIS ARE APPRECIATED.

Making the HDMI connection after boot up as a mirrored monitor or extended desktop works perfectly

I believe I've gotten the wired Ethernet to work correctly by changing the "System Definition" from MacMini to iMac 12.2. We'll see if it holds up.

The custom "About this mac" it....it just made me speechless!! Awesome!!!

I can NOT explain how cool that is! That is the first thing I'm going to do when I get my build up 'n running!

Wohoo! The WiFi card finally arrived! :D I wouldn't recommend installing it after installing the motherboard in the Prodigy, but I didn't want to take the whole build apart, so I had no choice. Some fiddling (and cussing) later, I booted up and found it, as expected, to work excellently OOB. Speeds are as expected, around 100-120 Mbit/s on 5 GHz (copying from/to my NAS).

Mine kept working just fine. So I'm not much help.

I found that the problem apparently was the "system definition" was for a mac mini. Changing it to "imac 12.2" seems to have done the trick. We'll have to see how it hold up.

Thanks! :)

Tack! :D

Nice size on that case, very little unnecessary space wasted. Very Mac mini. :)

Hello all,

This build is very nice! So i've build exactly the same :)

What are your perfs under geekbench and cinebench? I'm asking this because I think I've got an issue with my processor. Cinebench says me my i5 3570k has got only two cores and four threads. Of course it's wrong, but the perfs are lower than in windows about 0,7 points. In the same way my radeon 6870 is not recognized as a 6870 in cinebench but as generic amd radeon graphic, and the perfs are about 45 fps. Does anyone has the same problem with this or a similar build?

Thank you all

I have (almost) the same parts
  • GB H77N-WIFI
  • i5 3570K (HD4000)
  • Corsair Vengeance 8Go
  • Bitfenix Prodigy (white)
  • Crucial M4 (last Firmware)

BUT ... I install, without problems exept wifi, Moutain Lion + Multibeast (same options as your screenshot) then I reboot ... and the computer freezes on Apple Logo (the spinning wheel turns once or twice then freezes)

Any idea ?

ps:
- Bios configuration is set to default
- my keyboard is a Logitech K800
- my mouse is a Logitech anywhere mx

ps2:
Very nice thread, congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back