Contribute
Register

BitterMelon's "Chip" build: GA-Z77N-WIFI - i5-3570K - HD 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out that ring too. It might not be hugely important, but it helps when mounting it. When you slide and twist the mounting bracket onto the cooler, the ring is supposed to be snapped on from the bottom, locking the bracket onto the cooler. Not an easy maneuver in itself (the bracket keeps sliding off the groves and the ring won't reach), but it makes the rest of the mounting a lot easier. But since the other cooling solutions often seem to be using the same cooler, I assume they have the same problem. It might explain the temps if it didn't get properly mounted.

I'm not surprised that it's worse than the H100, that beast has twice the radiator surface for cooling. Though, it really should be better (or at least quieter) than the stock cooler...

It was definitely installed improperly. I was able to figure out the right procedure from instructions on how to install an H70 the right way - lots of people seem to be doing/teaching the wrong way. But even knowing how to do it I couldn't get all three pieces together before finally giving up in disgust. So I'm just going with the stock cooler for now. It's quiet enough and the temps under load are no worse than a badly installed 620. Idles in the low to mid 30s in a 72 degree room.

Thanks for your help.

I'd rather not partition my drives to run windows to play games, I'd rather just install OS X and then buy another SSD later on for gaming on windows, is this possible? Apparently BootCamp won't work on a hack.

Also, is it necessary for me to take out my graphics card it'll already be installed when I get CPU? (Getting CPU built by NCIX, I could totally build myself but they only charge $50 and come with 1 year warranty, can't go wrong.)

My build is as follows:
Ivy bridge i7 3770k 3.5ghz
Gigabyte z77n-wifi
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
ADATA sx900 256gb SSD
1 Tb wd caviar blue 7200rpm
Kingston 16gb RAM 1600mhz
Corsair pro series gold fully modular 650w power supply
Corsair cooling hydro H60
Bitfenex prodigy case black

I'd rather not partition my drives to run windows to play games, I'd rather just install OS X and then buy another SSD later on for gaming on windows, is this possible? Apparently BootCamp won't work on a hack.

Also, is it necessary for me to take out my graphics card it'll already be installed when I get CPU? (Getting CPU built by NCIX, I could totally build myself but they only charge $50 and come with 1 year warranty, can't go wrong.)

My build is as follows:
Ivy bridge i7 3770k 3.5ghz
Gigabyte z77n-wifi
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
ADATA sx900 256gb SSD
1 Tb wd caviar blue 7200rpm
Kingston 16gb RAM 1600mhz
Corsair pro series gold fully modular 650w power supply
Corsair cooling hydro H60
Bitfenex prodigy case black

You can mount 2X 2.5" drives on the right side panel so there should be plenty of room - and you won't have to remove the graphics card. Assuming no optical drive in your rig you'll have the sata ports and drive bays to add 2X 2.5" drives or 1X 3.5" & 1X 2.5".

If you haven't seen it there's video overview of the very versatile Prodigy case @ Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345017

Enjoy your build.

After putting in the Atheros wireless card in the GA-Z77n wifi my wired internet connection stopped working and i can't get it back. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

what about installing windows later on is this possible or must i do it from the start?
i cant afford another ssd drive right away so im planning on getting one later on, and im also planning on buying a panasonic blue ray drive (htpc reasons). should still have enough eh?

Yes, that's what I did. Just unplug the OS X drive and install Windows, then plug the OS X drive back. No Bootcamp needed.

No, the 660Ti should work with the installation afaik, it's just my Radeon that isn't supported and thus needs to be removed. You can leave yours in.
Also, the "CPU" is the thing in the middle of the motherboard, not the whole computer. Just to lessen the confusion.

After putting in the Atheros wireless card in the GA-Z77n wifi my wired internet connection stopped working and i can't get it back. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Not off the top of my head. But I'll certainly test it once the card arrives (come on postal service!).

Last edited by a moderator:
It was definitely installed improperly. I was able to figure out the right procedure from instructions on how to install an H70 the right way - lots of people seem to be doing/teaching the wrong way. But even knowing how to do it I couldn't get all three pieces together before finally giving up in disgust. So I'm just going with the stock cooler for now. It's quiet enough and the temps under load are no worse than a badly installed 620. Idles in the low to mid 30s in a 72 degree room.

Thanks for your help.
I'm confused now. I was checking out some install videos for the 620 on Youtube. They all seem to have a different mounting system, and different instructions from what I have. My parts are not color coded (all black instead of blue/green), I got big thumb screws instead of small regular ones and the mounting order is different. Mine mounts the bracket to the block first (hence the ring) and then to the motherboard. The ones on Youtube mounts the bracket to the board first, then push and twist the block intro the bracket. I guess mine is a newer revision (with LGA2011 support)? So, different mounting order, and crappier instructions. Yay for upgrade. ;)

Since the my unit is identical to the Corsair H70 (apart from that ring), I guess you could just skip the Antec instructions and mount it like Corsair suggests, like you did. Much better instructions too.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you swap the picture in the about this mac overview screen with your case. That is sweet!

It's the same size. It's up to you really, I'm just giving you an alternative. :)

I'm confused now. I was checking out some install videos for the 620 on Youtube. They all seem to have a different mounting system, and different instructions from what I have. My parts are not color coded (all black instead of blue/green), I got big thumb screws instead of small regular ones and the mounting order is different. Mine mounts the bracket to the block first (hence the ring) and then to the motherboard. The ones on Youtube mounts the bracket to the board first, then push and twist the block intro the bracket. I guess mine is a newer revision (with LGA2011 support)? So, different mounting order, and crappier instructions. Yay for upgrade. ;)

Since the my unit is identical to the Corsair H70 (apart from that ring), I guess you could just skip the Antec instructions and mount it like Corsair suggests, like you did. Much better instructions too.

It seems the H70 comes with that ring now too. A reviewer (on Amazon I think) had a picture showing how to sandwich the ring between the bracket and the plate explaining that all the install videos of the H70 were wrong. As you figured out on your own. I'm guessing that ring was added to ensure full pressure against the CPU. Instructions on how to use it would have been nice.

Antec & Corsair have dropped the ball by depending on their common supplier to provide the support. Although at least Corsair's instructions are closer to depicting what current customers are likely to receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back