Contribute
Register

BitterMelon's "Chip" build: GA-Z77N-WIFI - i5-3570K - HD 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now got WiFi to work with my AR5B195 card—it no longer gives me "connection timeout" or "failed" problems. My solution was to switch my home network from WPA2 to WEP. This is a bizarre workaround, and I'd appreciate any thoughts on why this is the case, and how to gain a more comprehensive fix.

I haven't experienced this issue at all. Try some other keyboards and mice and see if the delay persists. Hard to say what could be wrong other than the motherboard.

I RMA'd it with Newegg. Hopefully the new board works fine.

I have now got WiFi to work with my AR5B195 card—it no longer gives me "connection timeout" or "failed" problems. My solution was to switch my home network from WPA2 to WEP. This is a bizarre workaround, and I'd appreciate any thoughts on why this is the case, and how to gain a more comprehensive fix.

without wanting to sidetrack this thread into a wifi card discussion....

Follow steps here...

http://brielle.sosdg.org/archives/542-Fixing-Wifi-Isses-On-Some-Macs-10.8.x-including-10.8.4.html

Works for me on 10.8.4 and WPA (Thanks to you noticing WEP was working)

Are there any alternatives to the gigabyte 6870 card? 'They don't seem available anymore, at least in Europe. Or will any recent ATI card do?

Are there any alternatives to the gigabyte 6870 card? 'They don't seem available anymore, at least in Europe. Or will any recent ATI card do?
See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide for compatible graphics cards. The Buyer's Guide is a menu item at the top of this web page in the navigation bar. :thumbup:

See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide for compatible graphics cards. The Buyer's Guide is a menu item at the top of this web page in the navigation bar. :thumbup:

Thanks I did that, but see only Nvidia cards listed, I am looking for an ATI card. Or are there more versions of the buyers guide?

I might stay with the HD4000 graphics for a while and. Its a bit pity I have to loose theProdigy's drive cage when using such a long videocard.

Thanks I did that [review the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide's Graphics Card section], but see only Nvidia cards listed, I am looking for an ATI card. Or are there more versions of the buyers guide?
Yes, those are still the cards to get OS X up and running on your system in the easiest manner. We'll have to await 10.8.5 being released to see if AMD/ATI cards are fully supported.

I might stay with the HD4000 graphics for a while and. Its a bit pity I have to loose the Prodigy's drive cage when using such a long video card.
HD4000 is not hateful with an i5-3570K processor unless you have video editing and/or gaming in your requirements for a system. I've used HD3000/HD4000 with great satisfaction for my general purpose computing. I can even run GarageBand w/o issues with the Intel Integrated Graphics and without a graphics card. The 2nd, 3rd and now the 4th generation Core i3/i5/i7 processors (along with Intel's chipset) have made integrated graphics very useable. :thumbup:

BTW, have you seen the advanced press/pictures on the mATX version of the Prodigy. http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...itfenixs-new-prodigy-m-matx-case-spotted.html

Reminds us of neilhart's Prodigy case mods.

Do I still need Buckeyes1995 fix for the HD4000 that was mentioned in the OP? When I click the link in the OP i get a permission denied message. Maybe someone can me direct to it.

Is a DSDT not necessary for the GA-Z77N?

Would a I3-3245 work too? It also got HD4000, but is a fair bit cheaper.

I believe that it is possible to get wifi and bluetooth to work using just a Atheros AR5B195 half mini PCI-e card, like this.

However, I have had some difficulties getting mine to work so far. My difficulties are as follows:
  • My bluetooth works quite well at first, but my magic mouse often loses connection. I restart the mouse, it disconnects, and then about twenty seconds later it connects again. Oddly, this doesn't affect my wireless keyboard!
  • I can get my Hackintosh to recognize the wireless card, and it shows me the correct list of nearby networks. However, I cannot connect to any of them. When I try connect, I get "connection failed" or "a connection timeout occurred."

I am using this IOath3kfrmwr.kext from RehabMan and some other wifi kext—I can't recall precisely which one, downloaded from OSX86.net

I would like to try this one as FungusFeet recommends below, but annoyingly OSX86.net tells me that I've exceeded my permitted number of downloads. Apparently, this is meant to be 15 downloads per day, but I have certainly not downloaded anything like that number of files. If someone would kindly post a different link to that kext, I'd appreciate it!

I also have the same problem with the Magic mouse. I read somewhere that it might be badly design of the battery connection inside the Magic mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back