Contribute
Register

Big Sur stuck on boot - Z590/11900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh interesting, have you tried it with just 1 of the NICs plugged in? Sorry if that seems like a basic question.. old IT support habits die hard lol. My NIC pulls and holds an address via DHCP no problem (when viewing my network settings in System Preferences), however, pages will randomly not load, then start loading again. The Airport+BT kexts that @ori69 posted earlier do not seem to work for me either so I'll keep trying to dive into the network stuff.

The drivers don't work very fast under macOS, but I don't need to replace the WiFi card yet. With the same router under macOS, it's much slower.
Zrzut ekranu 2021-04-07 o 19.57.27.png

Oh interesting, have you tried it with just 1 of the NICs plugged in? Sorry if that seems like a basic question.. old IT support habits die hard lol. My NIC pulls and holds an address via DHCP no problem (when viewing my network settings in System Preferences), however, pages will randomly not load, then start loading again. The Airport+BT kexts that @ori69 posted earlier do not seem to work for me either so I'll keep trying to dive into the network stuff.

And I was wondering about the safe mode POST every time but I hadn't gotten around to looking into it so thanks for the heads up.

Sounds good to me on the iGPU stuff, thats the most important for me as I do not have access to an AMD card and the choppy graphics are pretty rough. I only use my hackintosh installations for coding/web dev stuff so just having smooth operation and (ideally) multi-monitor support would be amazing.
The thing is, even when iGPU works, it doesn't work super well, audio is a bit of mess, at least it was on the previous build where I used iGPU. If you're using USB audio or 3.5, I suppose that takes care of it - but for the most part it's highly recommended to grab an amd gpu.
I totally agree though, I was planning on doing this build without a dgpu because I don't game - ended up buying a dgpu last night lol

And I was wondering about the safe mode POST every time but I hadn't gotten around to looking into it so thanks for the heads up.

Sounds good to me on the iGPU stuff, thats the most important for me as I do not have access to an AMD card and the choppy graphics are pretty rough. I only use my hackintosh installations for coding/web dev stuff so just having smooth operation and (ideally) multi-monitor support would be amazing.
Ok, I switched gears and worked on the ethernet for a min. I think I have a solution for 1of the Ethernet i225v ports so far.
Looks like the full duplex was not running correctly, and running in full duplex, energy efficient, causing disconnects/reconnects. Changed to full duplex, not disconnects yet. Possibly small win.

It may be that you're going to need an AMD card I believe. Nvidia support is abandoned since 10.13.6, and Rocket Lake's iGPU doesn't appear to yet have any drivers for Big Sur (since Apple divorced Intel, support might never arrive). Leaving a supported AMD card to fill the void.

Ok, I switched gears and worked on the ethernet for a min. I think I have a solution for 1of the Ethernet i225v ports so far.
Looks like the full duplex was not running correctly, and running in full duplex, energy efficient, causing disconnects/reconnects. Changed to full duplex, not disconnects yet. Possibly small win.

Nice! Thats a good catch, I adjusted my settings to match as well. Has it been stable for you since? Also any luck with those iGPU settings?

Last edited:
Nice! Thats a good catch, I adjusted my settings to match as well. Has it been stable for you since? Also any luck with those iGPU settings?
Yes, completely stable now for both of them. Working on CPU a bit for Geekbench scores. Seem to be quite low compared to Windows. CPU friend is installed. Have you benched at all for the 11900k yet?

Yes, completely stable now for both of them. Working on CPU a bit for Geekbench scores. Seem to be quite low compared to Windows. CPU friend is installed. Have you benched at all for the 11900k yet?
as far as iGPU, looking into 655 pretty hard, as I think that might be slightly closer to the 750 in the 11900k. Worth a shot. Trial and error for different frame buffers, so far nothing with full acceleration, but I've found a few that seem close and aren't as choppy. I'll work on that tomorrow more as well.

as far as iGPU, looking into 655 pretty hard, as I think that might be slightly closer to the 750 in the 11900k. Worth a shot. Trial and error for different frame buffers, so far nothing with full acceleration, but I've found a few that seem close and aren't as choppy. I'll work on that tomorrow more as well.

So that's what I've been running mine as but I can't seem to get the frame buffer quite right. I haven't bench marked it all. A friend of mine said he has an old RX 560 kicking around so I might try that on for size and see how it feels. But until then I'll keep playing around with different values and see what I come up with.

So that's what I've been running mine as but I can't seem to get the frame buffer quite right. I haven't bench marked it all. A friend of mine said he has an old RX 560 kicking around so I might try that on for size and see how it feels. But until then I'll keep playing around with different values and see what I come up with.
Sounds good. Can you run a Geekbench 5 before you put the 560 in, and then again after? No OC. Trying to get an idea what the baseline is for you, as my baseline seems a little low compared to others.

Anyone get a "still waiting on root device?" I have the RHUB SSDT and xhciportlimit true, I also tried front and back, 2.0 and 3.0
I would switch usb drives but I've installed via this one before
Using 11700k with ROG strix z590 a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back