Contribute
Register

Big List of Solutions for El Capitan Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have El Captian installed on My dell laptop

I also have windows 10 installed on the same hard disk..

1tb hdd
500gb- EL CAPTIAN
500gb- WIndows 10

I want a option when i turn on my laptop to choose what operating system to boot from. I have to change my bios settings to switch too different Operating systems. Is their any easier way>>

Hi Mohamamd

I also have windows and OS x on the same drive i just left the USB stick i used to install OS x in the back of my computer and set it as my startup disk now i get a screen where i can choose between OS x and Windows. Since you are on a laptop i suggest: Make a third partition, copy the data from that USB stick to that partition and set it as your startup disk. That will do the trick i think...

Hello, I recently restarted hackintoshing after a year or so absence. I made a USB stick of el-capitan on a new 16 GB USB stick that had previously been made into a bootable Linux drive. I reformatted it to fat32 and after a few tries and a couple of different USB ports I managed to make a bootable drive. However, when I select the drive in my bios the screen goes black for a couple seconds, then boots to my default operating system (Linux mint in this case). I don't even get to the Clover installer. Any pointers for where I'm going wrong here? Thanks!

Hello, I recently restarted hackintoshing after a year or so absence. I made a USB stick of el-capitan on a new 16 GB USB stick that had previously been made into a bootable Linux drive. I reformatted it to fat32 and after a few tries and a couple of different USB ports I managed to make a bootable drive. However, when I select the drive in my bios the screen goes black for a couple seconds, then boots to my default operating system (Linux mint in this case). I don't even get to the Clover installer. Any pointers for where I'm going wrong here? Thanks!

Hi,

I'm not an expert but you say you are using fat32, To make a bootable USB you need to format it to mac OS X extended (journaled). The problem is that your computer doesn't see the USB as bootable and just goes to the next boot option (your linux drive)

Hope i helped you out.

Hi,

I'm not an expert but you say you are using fat32, To make a bootable USB you need to format it to mac OS X extended (journaled). The problem is that your computer doesn't see the USB as bootable and just goes to the next boot option (your linux drive)

Hope i helped you out.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I managed to make the drive in question formatted as Mac OS (Journaled) with Unibeast and it won't see the drive. I see it in my BIOs but it fails.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I managed to make the drive in question formatted as Mac OS (Journaled) with Unibeast and it won't see the drive. I see it in my BIOs but it fails.

The last thing i can think of is that not al the bios settings are set correctly like explained in the installer guide: Step 3: Recommended BIOS Settings. Like i said i'm not an expert, If this doesn't work i guess you have to find someone more experienced like Ammulder our so.

Hello! Turns out the error was all mine. I had accidentally created a Master Boot Record USB stick with Unibeast instead of the required GUID partition table. I am now successfully installed and running El Capitan. Now to just get my iMessage and iTunes working...

I'm running into a kernel panic after the Apple logo with the progress bar goes for a few seconds. The `kernel extensions in backtrace` has `com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily` at the top.

I'm on a MSI Z170a G45 Gaming board, and 6700K. I used the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi from the clover sourceforge page, which got me past the `osxaptipfixdrv error requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block` error. I uploaded a screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5300360/kernel-panic.jpg, would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

I'm running into a kernel panic after the Apple logo with the progress bar goes for a few seconds. The `kernel extensions in backtrace` has `com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily` at the top.

I'm on a MSI Z170a G45 Gaming board, and 6700K. I used the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi from the clover sourceforge page, which got me past the `osxaptipfixdrv error requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block` error. I uploaded a screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5300360/kernel-panic.jpg, would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Just guessing... Did you remember to disable the serial port in BIOS?

After creating the usb boot with el capitan and clover, when i try to boot on it i just have a " _ " on a black screen. It makes a couple time that i retry the procedure. Does anyone know what can i do ? thx

Regarding my last posit on clearing the kernel caches, I think I found the link:
https://seo-michael.co.uk/slow-shutdown-startup-macbook-mavericks-10-9/

To clear your kext cache open terminal and enter the following:

• sudo chown root:admin /
  • enter your password
  • sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
  • sudo kextcache -system-caches
  • Open System Preferences
  • Open Startup Disk
  • Ensure Startup Disk is still set correctly
  • Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.