Contribute
Register

Best GPU for Hackintosh used for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when the Vega 56/64 were new, the yields for the HBM2 weren't very good and AMD just used whatever was available at the time and it happened to be Samsung. As yields improved, they started using the Samsung for the Vega 64s and Hynix for the Vega 56es because the Samsungs clocked better.

I don't think board partners had any say in which type of memory were used because the HBM2 were part of the GPU die package, they were not separate chips on the PCB.

By the time Radeon VII came around, I think Hynix caught up to Samsung on performance.

View attachment 435357

All of this is speculation on my part...

From another forum's user, I think I read an asrock user reported the same.
30D66BB5-2360-42CF-A493-CA9DC57D84A0.png

Of course as you say it’s speculation at this point only AMD knows what they put on the dies.

Well, you learn something every day. I didn't realise this High Bandwidth Memory was on-die. So they stack 'em like plates?

Makes sense to keep the distances short between GPU and memory, to prevent heat build-up.

So this is working like on-die Level 1 cache in CPUs to a certain extent. Just a lot larger capacity.

But 7nm is seriously thin, so I guess proper cooling is crucial.

Well, you learn something every day. I didn't realise this High Bandwidth Memory was on-die. So they stack 'em like plates?

Makes sense to keep the distances short between GPU and memory, to prevent heat build-up.

So this is working like on-die Level 1 cache in CPUs to a certain extent. Just a lot larger capacity.

If you look at the image, you can see the HBM2 on the sides of the Vegas and the Radeon VIIs. They are actually not part of the GPU die, just on the same package.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but my guess is that, at least on the Radeon VII, the HBM2 contribute more heat than the GPU itself. Considering the die shrink to 7nm, it should run cooler than it does.

There weee issues with the early Vega 56-64 models because the memory stacks weren’t level with the GPU. The heat dissipation wasn’t working well and the memory was overheating.

There weee issues with the early Vega 56-64 models because the memory stacks weren’t level with the GPU. The heat dissipation wasn’t working well and the memory was overheating.

Yes. I remember that. I think that led to the use of thermal pads albeit really good thermal pads...

Ah, ok, understood, it's all getting very cutting-edge. So my PowerVR PCI piggy-back card with 64-bit 0.48 GB/s from about 20-years ago, doesn't really cut the mustard any more? (Still got it along with a special version of Tomb Raider that ran on it) :D

Ah, ok, understood, it's all getting very cutting-edge. So my PowerVR PCI piggy-back card with 64-bit 0.48 GB/s from about 20-years ago, doesn't really cut the mustard any more? (Still got it along with a special version of Tomb Raider that ran on it) :D

Lol. I had a Voodoo 2 PCI card....

My configuration is i9-9900k, 32GB RAM. Which card should I buy? Which card will be better in FCPX? Vega 64 VS RX 5700 XT?

My configuration is i9-9900k, 32GB RAM. Which card should I buy? Which card will be better in FCPX? Vega 64 VS RX 5700 XT?

I am not sure what price range you are looking at but right now you can get a VII for $500 looks like the Vegas are in the 400 range and the 5700 xt is also in the 400 range. As far as what one is the best VII, Vega 64, 5700 XT, in that order. However, I can not imagine that it is a huge performance jump from card to card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back