Contribute
Register

Best GPU for Hackintosh used for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
They all work but there may be some issues associated with the HBM2 memory in MacOS. There are Samsung and Hynix versions and I think the Samsung may be buggy?

@Gigamaxx,

I have Samsung HMB2 on my Vega 64 LC and its never been an issue in MacOS, further more it is able to take a memory overclock of 1100Mhz over the stock 945Mhz which results in a very a nice boost in performance (more so over a GPU die overclock).

My understanding is that Samsung HBM2 Memory is preferential over Hynix as Hynix HMB2 has no headroom for overclocking where as Samsung HMB2 can. Hynix memory was used on some 3rd party OEM Vega 56 and 64 cards as a cost saving.

All though I'm not 100% sure I think all Radeon VII's use Samsung HMB2 memory as they are all basically manufactured by AMD and use the same reference design, just shipped in a re-badged box.

Cheers
Jay

They all work but there may be some issues associated with the HBM2 memory in MacOS. There are Samsung and Hynix versions and I think the Samsung may be buggy?

I also have Samsung HBM2 on my PowerColor Vega 56 Red Dragon. Never had any issues with it and the card overclocks extremely well with the Samsung HBM2 and Vega 64 BIOS.

I haven’t had any issues with mine (Vega 64, R VII) but others were reporting crashes and reboots. After returning cards and changing out they seem to fix the issue. I did read early on that there were problems with one of these manufacturers memory modules from a tech website.

@Gigamaxx,

I have Samsung HMB2 on my Vega 64 LC and its never been an issue in MacOS, further more it is able to take a memory overclock of 1100Mhz over the stock 945Mhz which results in a very a nice boost in performance (more so over a GPU die overclock).

My understanding is that Samsung HBM2 Memory is preferential over Hynix as Hynix HMB2 has no headroom for overclocking where as Samsung HMB2 can. Hynix memory was used on some 3rd party OEM Vega 56 and 64 cards as a cost saving.

All though I'm not 100% sure I think all Radeon VII's use Samsung HMB2 memory as they are all basically manufactured by AMD and use the same reference design, just shipped in a re-badged box.

Cheers
Jay

F3387E6B-5355-4C10-B452-BC19A3ABFCD9.pngA1CE48E8-CE8C-41B8-A4D0-6864D6738E68.png

@Gigamax,

Interesting ...I stand corrected :O

I assumed (incorrectly) that AMD would use Samsung HMB2 for the Radeon VII as Samsung HMB2 was superior to Hynix HMB on the Vega 56 and 64 GPU's.

But having looked into further it seems that Hynix was the only supplier of HMB2 memory for Radeon VII as Samsung could not supply HMB2 with the higher clock rate required by the Radeon VII.

Cheers
Jay

@Gigamax,

Interesting ...I stand corrected :O

I assumed (incorrectly) that AMD would use Samsung HMB2 for the Radeon VII as Samsung HMB2 was superior to Hynix HMB on the Vega 56 and 64 GPU's.

But having looked into further it seems that Hynix was the only supplier of HMB2 memory for Radeon VII as Samsung could not supply HMB2 with the higher clock rate required by the Radeon VII.

Cheers
Jay

They may be using both brands which could be causing the issues in macOS.

I went through three Radeon VIIs. All had Hynix HBM2.

This is interesting. I don't have a high-end GPU yet, but don't Apple themselves use Hynix memory?

I think when the Vega 56/64 were new, the yields for the HBM2 weren't very good and AMD just used whatever was available at the time and it happened to be Samsung. As yields improved, they started using the Samsung for the Vega 64s and Hynix for the Vega 56es because the Samsungs clocked better.

I don't think board partners had any say in which type of memory were used because the HBM2 were part of the GPU die package, they were not separate chips on the PCB.

By the time Radeon VII came around, I think Hynix caught up to Samsung on performance.

3a18-shrink.jpg

All of this is speculation on my part...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back