Contribute
Register

Best Budget Intel Motherboard for music and video production i5/i7/i9 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think is a good case that will support all these case front connectors ?

Are you sure the Gigabyte z490 Vision G or Asus Strix ROG z490 will work with Mojave ?
No, but I do know that some have installed High Sierra with success on a tenth gen system. So it is possible. Ask the respective authors of the two Golden Build Guides. They own the board and can give you the best answer.

What is it you need to use Mojave for ? 32 bit apps ?

Last edited:
Are you sure the Gigabyte z490 Vision G or Asus Strix ROG z490 will work with Mojave ?
So you do have 32-bit apps…
And you could have answered yourself the question about the OS version to run.
Note that running Mojave has consequences for the GPU you could use: No Navi/Big Navi cards, you're limited to Vega and Polaris.

In this thread you have suggestions for three well-supported Z490 motherboards. Four with the Z490 Vision D, if you can source one. At this point it really is up to you to check their detailed specifications (including any fine print about line sharing…) and how you could fit in all your hardware requirements—which stretch a consumer platform to its limits, and possibly a little bit beyond. Then check the build threads here for Mojave support, or any other feature you're interested in.
Please carefully review and sort out your wish list (required/would be nice/could be nice/could do without), it will help you—and help us help you if you care to share the result.

If Mojave support is critical, and you want certainty that Mojave will run without issue and without extra hassle, then you should actually look at Z390 and 9th generation CPUs.

What do you think is a good case that will support all these case front connectors ?
Connecting all headers is not required…
If "audio" means that the computer should be as quiet as possible, you can't go wrong with the Fractal Define family with a Noctua NH-D15S or NH-U14S cooler, and Noctua NF case fans if necessary.
But the possibilities are endless and we won't build the computer for you. It's your computer, your taste and your requirements.

You can certainly run Mojave on a Z490 system, but as with any hackintosh there is a learning-curve. Unless you follow a Golden Build to the letter the choices you make will define any further work you may need to do to smooth out any rough edges. That's not something easy to answer in one simple post.

You can certainly run Mojave on a Z490 system, but as with any hackintosh there is a learning-curve.
Here's proof of concept. Someone with Gigabyte Z490 Vision G running Mojave.

I read the GA-Vision-G motherboard is a mid-tier z490 motherboard.
is there a better quality built motherboard available ?

I read the GA-Vision-G motherboard is a mid-tier z490 motherboard.
is there a better quality built motherboard available ?
Calling it mid-tier doesn't have anything to do with build quality. It just means fewer features than more expensive boards. If you have a low $300 budget you won't find anything as well built in the $240 price range.

As stated previously, the two top choices for a hackintosh are Asus and Gigabyte. Asus doesn't sell any Z490 board that meets your requirements and is under $300. What choice does that leave you then ?

Calling it mid-tier doesn't have anything to do with build quality. It just means fewer features than more expensive boards. If you have a low $300 budget you won't find anything as well built in the $240 price range.

As stated previously, the two top choices for a hackintosh are Asus and Gigabyte. Asus doesn't sell any Z490 board that meets your requirements and is under $300. What choice does that leave you then ?
What about the bios ?
Thats what I really care about is a bios that is easily configurable to work
with OSX. Is the Gigabyte bios better than the Asus ROG Strix for OSX ?

What about the bios ?
Thats what I really care about is a bios that is easily configurable to work
with OSX.
If you read the Z490 Vision Golden Build you'll see that they have researched the best BIOS to use with macOS. Some work very well some not at all. Since many Audio Pros use this board to get real work done everyday I'd say that it's easy to configure and works well. You can't have a Professional recording studio with an unstable hackintosh. No one would tolerate that in that environment.

That's all I can add. You need to do your own research in those Gigabyte and Asus Build guides to make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back