Contribute
Register

Beginner questions | Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H | i7-7700K | MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello everyone !

I'm getting ready for my first Hackintosh ! Here's my build :

- Mobo : Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H
- CPU : Intel Core Kabylake i7-7700K Processeur 4,20 GHz
- Graphics Card : MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G
- RAM : Ballistix Sport LT 64Go DDR4 2400 MT/s
- CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D15S
- M.2 SSD : Samsung 960 PRO 512 Go
- SSD : Crucial 256Gb
- HDD : Seagate 2To x2
- PSU : BeQuiet! BN211 Power Zone 750W 80 Plus Bronze
- Wifi/Bluetooth Card : ABWB 802.11AC Bluetooth 4.0 WI-FI PCI Express
- Case : Fractal Design Define Mini C

It's a station for making 3D computer graphics, no gaming. I've been reading tons of threads and I have a few questions please :

- I tried to download High Sierra (HS) from the App Store but I only get the 19Mb downloader. How do I get the full package ?
- If High Sierra is a risky install for a beginner, how can I download Sierra since it's not on the App Store anymore ?
- How do I decide the needed kexts for my build ?
- How do I know the right options to select on Clover/UniBeast setup ?
- Do I need to update my BIOS right from the start ? Since I Just bought it, is the update necessary ?
- I have a hard time understanding the difference between Clover and MultiBeast, how do I know what's best for my build ?

Thank you very much !

Hello everyone !

I'm getting ready for my first Hackintosh ! Here's my build :

- Mobo : Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H
- CPU : Intel Core Kabylake i7-7700K Processeur 4,20 GHz
- Graphics Card : MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G
- RAM : Ballistix Sport LT 64Go DDR4 2400 MT/s
- CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D15S
- M.2 SSD : Samsung 960 PRO 512 Go
- SSD : Crucial 256Gb
- HDD : Seagate 2To x2
- PSU : BeQuiet! BN211 Power Zone 750W 80 Plus Bronze
- Wifi/Bluetooth Card : ABWB 802.11AC Bluetooth 4.0 WI-FI PCI Express
- Case : Fractal Design Define Mini C

It's a station for making 3D computer graphics, no gaming. I've been reading tons of threads and I have a few questions please :

- I tried to download High Sierra (HS) from the App Store but I only get the 19Mb downloader. How do I get the full package ?
- If High Sierra is a risky install for a beginner, how can I download Sierra since it's not on the App Store anymore ?
- How do I decide the needed kexts for my build ?
- How do I know the right options to select on Clover/UniBeast setup ?
- Do I need to update my BIOS right from the start ? Since I Just bought it, is the update necessary ?
- I have a hard time understanding the difference between Clover and MultiBeast, how do I know what's best for my build ?

Thank you very much !

You can try to download Sierra from this link :
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12

Unibeast and Multibeast for High Sierra are not yet available. I suggest you stay with Sierra.

There is a F6 BIOS update for your motherboard that fix the Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake hyperthreading bug. Please upgrade to this BIOS version before you proceed.

1 I tried to download High Sierra (HS) from the App Store but I only get the 19Mb downloader. How do I get the full package ?
2 If High Sierra is a risky install for a beginner, how can I download Sierra since it's not on the App Store anymore ?
3 How do I decide the needed kexts for my build ?
4 How do I know the right options to select on Clover/UniBeast setup ?
5 Do I need to update my BIOS right from the start ? Since I Just bought it, is the update necessary ?
6 I have a hard time understanding the difference between Clover and MultiBeast, how do I know what's best for my build ?

I'll address what I can:

1) I'm not sure what such a downloader is. Typically the app store will just download the installer to your Applications folder. If you get the whole thing, it will automatically launch the installer after downloading.

2) Probably, since we don't have Unibeast or Multibeast yet for High Sierra. You can do it without, but as you suggested, there are more variables/risks involved.

3) Research. Look for installation guides for your desired OS (Sierra or High Sierra) and motherboard. Hopefully what has worked for others will work for you, at least in terms of getting you a bootable installation that will then allow you to fine tune anything else that is needed. It's also helpful to familiarize yourself with the chips built into your motherboard. This should be accounted for if you find a guide for the same motherboard and OS version, but it's still helpful to know what specs your system has if you have to troubleshoot. If you have a motherboard without a guide, you might need to go hunting at the device level. e.g., what worked for this ethernet chip on a different board?

4) See above. An installation guide can go a long way to helping you get up and running. I've had the experience that the Unibeast Clover installation didn't get me booting. Too few options selected. After creating the installer USB, I used the official Clover installer to replace Tony's Clover installation/settings. The default settings from the official Clover installer seem to have an array of settings enabled. I'm guessing they do this to afford functionality to the broadest range of hardware. In any case, your mileage may vary, but thought I would share in the event your Unibeast Clover installation doesn't allow you to boot into the MacOS installer.

5) Already addressed by 007.

6) Whatever works! As suggested above with #4, if the Clover settings via Multibeast work, great! Unibeast and Multibeast both install Clover to the USB install drive and boot drive respectively. They're just Tony's tweaked Clover installations with personalized themes for the Clover boot loader interface. Multibeast also allows you to also install kexts for networking, audio, etc., as well as to set up certain patches for the Clover installation. For my part, I've typically found that whatever gets me booting into the MacOS installer is also what is likely to work with booting the OS installation.

Hope that helps!

Thank you @mutatio and @Jamesbond007 !!

1 - Great ! I'm downloading the Sierra installer as I write.
2 - Ok it will be easier if I stick to Sierra since I'm a beginner and that High Sierra has yet to mature.
3 - I've looked on TonyMac for builds with my Mobo (GA-H270M-D3G) but can't find much. Even though it's on the TonyMax buyer's guide (October 2017), it doesn't seem very popular, it's my main worry about my build. And since it's on the list, I have the infos about the Audio and Network. I'll check the mobo chipsets and search for them individually on TonyMac's threads.
4 - Same as above. I just have the feeling of making a patchwork out of my install process :)
5 - Yeah great, thanks @Jamesbond007 for the hint ! I'll go check this patch once I'm done building my computer.
6 - Since I'll be going with Sierra, I'll stick to UniBeast/MultiBeast. As a beginner, I guess my priorities are to lessen the risks and walk the highways :)

By the way @Jamesbond007 , you seem to have an experience with the GA-H270M-D3G mobo, did you already make a build with it ?

Again thank you very much, I'll keep the post updated with steps of my build.

Last edited:
Holy c***p ! I built my computer just fine and it was running smoothly, I started the BIOS update and the PSU tossed white smoke !! Did it already happen to some of you ??

Smoke from the Power Supply Unit? I hope your other hardware aren't damaged. Get them checked as soon as possible.

Thank you @mutatio and @Jamesbond007 !!

1 - Great ! I'm downloading the Sierra installer as I write.
2 - Ok it will be easier if I stick to Sierra since I'm a beginner and that High Sierra has yet to mature.
3 - I've looked on TonyMac for builds with my Mobo (GA-H270M-D3G) but can't find much. Even though it's on the TonyMax buyer's guide (October 2017), it doesn't seem very popular, it's my main worry about my build. And since it's on the list, I have the infos about the Audio and Network. I'll check the mobo chipsets and search for them individually on TonyMac's threads.
4 - Same as above. I just have the feeling of making a patchwork out of my install process :)
5 - Yeah great, thanks @Jamesbond007 for the hint ! I'll go check this patch once I'm done building my computer.
6 - Since I'll be going with Sierra, I'll stick to UniBeast/MultiBeast. As a beginner, I guess my priorities are to lessen the risks and walk the highways :)

By the way @Jamesbond007 , you seem to have an experience with the GA-H270M-D3G mobo, did you already make a build with it ?

Again thank you very much, I'll keep the post updated with steps of my build.

There could be some aspects of HS that need to mature, though my guidance was based more on the support/installation resources needing to mature. For example, you can currently create a Sierra USB installer using Unibeast and Multibeast is good to go with Sierra. We're still waiting on those from Tony for HS.

Assuming you can get Sierra installed and running smoothly, which it seems you did before the PSU flaked out, you could then do a direct upgrade to HS. Upgrading without APFS conversion would likely be the way to go (See Tony's guide). I'm guessing, however, that by the time all that gets sorted, the HS Unibeast and Multibeast installers will be available.

Crossing fingers that its just the PSU!

Last edited:
Holy c***p ! I built my computer just fine and it was running smoothly, I started the BIOS update and the PSU tossed white smoke !! Did it already happen to some of you ??

Depending on the board you have, BIOS upgrades can come with some risks. Ideally, not the kind that will fry your PSU. More so along the lines of whether a new BIOS will allow you to boot into the MacOS. My legacy Z68 board upgraded through a number of legacy BIOS revisions without a hitch, though I bricked the first Z170X board I got for my newer system simply trying to do a BIOS upgrade. Had the right BIOS file, properly formatted USB, the checksum matched, and yet the upgrade flaked out and the board became unresponsive despite troubleshooting. I would have suggested upgrading your BIOS first before trying to get the install up and running.

Best of luck with getting everything straightened out. :)

Thank you very much for all the insights @mutatio ! I upgraded the BIOS to F6 without problems and was setting it up for Sierra install when the PSU fried. I brought my computer to a repair shop and it seems it's a defective PSU, it happened to some people around me when I asked yesterday and today.

We couldn't check if the other components are okay since we needed to plug another PSU and for that I needed to unplug everything and redo it again since it's quite cramped with the NH-D15S and the 1080Ti in the mATX. But they checked and all cables are wired just fine. So I'm sending it back and I wil test again with a new PSU.

About the hackintosh setup, I'm going for a classic Sierra installation with UniBeast/MultiBeast and I'll upgrade to HS once it has been well updated here in TonyMac.

Thank you for your support ! I should be able to continue the installation once I receive a new PSU.

Is your installation detecting your NVME disk? because I have a nvme disk and it does not appear in the 10.13 boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back