Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i was sure i could get it to work i'd go for the Club3D 6950.

614415.jpg

They go for around 200 euros (280 USD).

Pretty sure Black Ops / Starcraft 2 would rock on that thing @native res.

Ah well.. i'm eager for any new GPU - ACD configs... keep 'em coming people!

EDIT: Just installed 10.6.7, inserted the 5870 but .. nothing..
My wild guess is that the card should have a BIOS/POST(you should see something before the actual OS boot) initially for it to work. If that fails in first place, it ain't gonna happen.

injectx said:
...EDIT: Just installed 10.6.7, inserted the 5870 but .. nothing..
My wild guess is that the card should have a BIOS/POST(you should see something before the actual OS boot) initially for it to work. If that fails in first place, it ain't gonna happen.
Check Tony's blog for a new MultiBeast (v3.4.0) which should help with your problem.

Stork said:
Check Tony's blog for a new MultiBeast (v3.4.0) which should help with your problem.

Hmm something wrong with the download link.. i'm only getting 3.3.0.

injectx said:
Stork said:

Hmm something wrong with the download link.. i'm only getting 3.3.0.
Link on Tony's blog and MacMan's announcement thread both points to the Downloads page under the Resources > Downloads menu at the top of the forum pages. I just tried it and downloaded 3.4.0. Try again using one of those links.

Ok, link back up again. Hmm what to look for in MultiBeast?

Drivers & Bootloaders > Graphics > ATi 1.6.32.12 Drivers ?

or/and:

Drivers & Bootloaders > Bootloaders > Chameleon 2.0 RC5 ATi Experimental?
(which i've already installed from 3.3.0).

I could try installing things but I don't know if i would risk f*cking up my perfectly running system.

I'm now trying to get the 5870 working btw.

injectx said:
Ok, link back up again. Hmm what to look for in MultiBeast?

Drivers & Bootloaders > Graphics > ATi 1.6.32.12 Drivers ?

or/and:

Drivers & Bootloaders > Bootloaders > Chameleon 2.0 RC5 ATi Experimental?
(which i've already installed from 3.3.0).

I'm now trying to get the 5870 working btw.
Can't answer that since I'm still running my NVIDIA 9800GT. However, he said, check out this thread on the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15798
It's starting to be a long thread, read 1st page and skip to the last pages where NotShy starts mentioning MultiBeast v3.4.0.

Also check for info in the 10.6.7 Official thread, which is now over 40 pages. :(

Ok thanks for that. But when I don't have BIOS/POST screen, how do I ever get to my BIOS or even Windows?

I've edited my post on page 3 btw, check it out.

This is a little off-topic, but actually pertinent to this thread:

Everyone who is interested in getting a 27-inch, ips, high-res monitor working-- should take a look at the within-days-release of the Hazro HZ27WC-- same panel as the ACD, but with CCFL instead of LED, and with DVI instead of Display Port.

Selling for 420 BGP including VAT via UK Overclockers. And, apparently, it might even be 399 BGP direct from Hazro once they start selling it themselves (supposed to ship in the next few days). Even better, I think they're going to ship to the US... and then no VAT (not sure if/what customs might try to ch arge).

In any case, the monitor actually got incredible reviews-- and there are a few other models with more inputs, anti-reflective matte screen, etc-- and I'm planning on picking one up once I move to Germany mid-May.

TL:DR - Cheaper, just-as-good, identical panel, monitor that uses DVI instead of DP.

justruss said:
This is a little off-topic, but actually pertinent to this thread:

Everyone who is interested in getting a 27-inch, ips, high-res monitor working-- should take a look at the within-days-release of the Hazro HZ27WC-- same panel as the ACD, but with CCFL instead of LED, and with DVI instead of Display Port.

Selling for 420 BGP including VAT via UK Overclockers. And, apparently, it might even be 399 BGP direct from Hazro once they start selling it themselves (supposed to ship in the next few days). Even better, I think they're going to ship to the US... and then no VAT (not sure if/what customs might try to ch arge).

In any case, the monitor actually got incredible reviews-- and there are a few other models with more inputs, anti-reflective matte screen, etc-- and I'm planning on picking one up once I move to Germany mid-May.

TL:DR - Cheaper, just-as-good, identical panel, monitor that uses DVI instead of DP.

Thanks for the info justruss. Thing is, i had the Dell U2711 myself, which also uses the same panel as the ACD. However the big advantage of the Apple LED Cinema Display for me personally is the design and i kinda like the glare (similar to glossy photo prints) which creates deeper colors imo.

Also the LED backlight is really cool. Display on= instantly on full brightness (where CCFL-based monitors can take up to 5 minutes to warm up).

I know that there also are disadvantages, one of them is the price, which is a bit steep. But it's a price i'm willing to pay.

Thanks for the info though!

Check out the Hazro specs: The "C" model is glossy!

It's literally the only replacement for the ACD that's similar.

The other Hazro models include wide gamut and anti-reflective matte screens, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back