Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess everything has changed, I just downloaded Multibeast 3.3.0 and I am lost now. lol Shows how long I have been using my system error free I used 2.6 for my build.

immapc said:
Well I guess everything has changed, I just downloaded Multibeast 3.3.0 and I am lost now. lol Shows how long I have been using my system error free I used 2.6 for my build.

Yeah, I appreciate the screen grabs. Gave me a chance to see those ATI Enablers people had referenced but left me scratching my head in 3.3. Got my drives working, but still no sound. Installed the Realtek kexts but guess I have to try a VooDoo kext. Can't find anything in the BIOS other than a reference to Azalea audio. I'm used to being given more options in ASUS boards. Do love the level of 'tweakability' in this GB board, though.

OK, now that I'm seeing my additional drives and partitioning them, just brought some 'outside' icons into the system and realized it's not seeing them and displaying only a generic icon, so trying to figure that one out.

Hmmm...false alarm on the icons. I keep all my tech files and installers for the network on a Win machine in the computer room. Turns out my beloved cache of icons got corrupted and are reading as "0KB" each, so no wonder Mac OS didn't know what to make of them. Fortunately I have a backup.

Yeah I love the ASUS BIOS. Ok so if your DSDT has the HDA portion for audio you only need to match the Realtek version, I think, so much has changed and now those are listed under Non-DSDT -shrugs-. For Non-DSDT it has more listed, it is the selection right above the Vodoo driver section. So click the HDA 8xx at the top and then select a Realtek version from the Non-DSDT section together. Try each one because the P6T is a Realtek chipset.

I have a problem and was wondering if someone could help me.
I really don't know what to do with this anymore.

I have an ATi Radeon 5770 Vapor-X which I used on my Dell U2410 via Displayport.

I then bought an 27" Apple LED Cinema Display plus a Displayport > Mini-Displayport converter. Plugged the Cinema Display in and.. nothing... no BIOS screen, just nothing. Audio + Webcam worked though.

So I read in another topic about someone with a Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X, using a Displayport > Mini-Displayport connector. He got it all working.

So I thought buying an 5870 would cure everything and would let me use my new 27" Apple LED Cinema display. Well.. unfortunately it didn't.. just plain old nothing. No screen at all.

I am using the ATi experimental bootloader from the previous MultiBeast (not the newest). So what could be the problem here? Non native Displayport = Nogo? -Well it was proven to work in another topic. So what then? XFX 5870 don't work? Ok brands have different BIOSes but I'm not sure if this could be the prob.

ANY help is highly appreciated! Really stuck here.

Apple Cinema Display LED tested cards:
Updated: 11 april 2011

aUkpJ

XFX 5770 Single slot (HD-577X-ZMF3) - WORKS
Confirmed by: injectx, immapc, elemental
xoeEn

Buy at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150501

Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X rev. 2.0 (100281VX-2SR) - WORKS
Confirmed by: haller
fot0

Notes:
  • - look for rev. 2.0! Rev. 1.0 is not tested and not confirmed working.
  • - use a DisplayPort to miniDisplayPort adapter
Buy at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102872 Not available anymore. Try eBay.

XFX 5870 (HD-587X-ZNFC) - NOT WORKING
Confirmed by: injectx
4Hb

Notes:
  • - tested with Displayport to miniDisplayPort adapter
  • - possible solution: flash bios to Sapphire 5870. Too bad i didn't try it myself because i had another buyer for the card, otherwise it could be a solution.
    If you wanna give it a try, the Sapphire 5870 BIOS is here. This post shows you how to do it.

Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X(100283VX-2L) - NOT WORKING
fp0Ip

Notes:
  • - tested with Displayport to miniDisplayPort adapter

Sapphire 6870 (100314-2SR) - WORKS
68P

Notes:
  • - DP > miniDP adapter needed for my version of the card which has one DP port instead of 2 miniDP ports.
  • - Use the guide in my signature to get everything working. There still are some minor issues concerning some desktop animations which aren't that smooth. My guess is that better support for 6xxx cards is upcoming.
Buy at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102913

GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB - WORKS
Confirmed by: thornomad
5dOi

Notes:
Buy at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125309

PowerColor PCS+ AX6870 1GBD5-PP2DHGJ Radeon HD 6870 - WORKS
Confirmed by: mjgunn
Kb6VH

Notes:
  • - Sounds like a vacuum cleaner at idle
Buy at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131383R

XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 - WORKS
Confirmed by: mjgunn
0Ee

Notes:
  • - Dead silent fans.
Buy at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

Did you do the 10.6.7 update and try the MBP update with the ATI support for the 5xxx and 6xxx cards?
I am wondering if that might of helped?

I have a 24" Apple display but I only have half of my parts for my hackintosh so far. So I am still reading up on and making sure the the card I get will work for my display.

injectx said:
Ok so because I really wanted to use my new Cinema Display I've decided to buy the XFX 5770 with mini-displayport. Arrived today and works like a charm! Perfect!
Please post the model number (too many variations of this card) and a link to where you bought it from. TIA.
injectx said:
...What I was thinking.. maybe it would come in handy to create a topic for Apple LED Cinema display-compatible GPU's. Because right now I would have to search several topics to know if a 5870 or 5770 would be compatible and which brand and type.
This is it. Many in this forum go cheap when they buy their monitors. I think this thread will continue as newer cards like the 6000 and beyond series become supported and get less expensive.

Since I have bad eyes, only the Apple Cinema Displays and NEC professional series of monitors work for me. So, that's why I have a 23" ACD and will probably pick up a gently used 24 or 27 inch ACD this year. Thus, I want to have a card with the mDP that works with the Hackintosh.

eelhead said:
Did you do the 10.6.7 update and try the MBP update with the ATI support for the 5xxx and 6xxx cards?
I am wondering if that might of helped?

I have a 24" Apple display but I only have half of my parts for my hackintosh so far. So I am still reading up on and making sure the the card I get will work for my display.

Hmm no I didn't install that update. Haven't been able to use my hackintosh for the past 2 weeks while I was waiting for the ACD to arrive.

Will try installing the update and test my old Sapphire 5770 and XFX 5870. I'm guessing it won't work because both cards won't show any BIOS/POST on startup. The new 5770 does.

stork said:
Please post the model number (too many variations of this card) and a link to where you bought it from. TIA.

The box model no. reads: (XFX) HD-577X-ZM
Part no.: HD-577X-ZMF3 <- you should be looking for this.

What I don't like about the card -besides the fan being a little bit noisier- is when gaming in Windows at native res. (2560x1440) the card is a bit slow (obviously).

So I'm still searching for a faster card. From another topic someone reported the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X rev 2.0 worked using an 27" ACD.

injectx said:
...The box model no. reads: (XFX) HD-577X-ZM
Part no.: HD-577X-ZMF3 <- you should be looking for this.

What I don't like about the card -besides the fan being a little bit noisier- is when gaming in Windows at native res. (2560x1440) the card is a bit slow (obviously).

So I'm still searching for a faster card. From another topic someone reported the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X rev 2.0 worked using an 27" ACD.
Thanks for posting the model #. I had assumed you were using that model, but wanted to make sure.

The only Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X at Newegg is the 6-mDP version, and it looks like a reference design. However, at Sapphire's web site, I didn't see that model, but did see several variants with both DVI and mDP output which is good for legacy DVI monitors. (I'm thinking, if you have an older DVI monitor and get a mDP montior, you'll need both for debugging.) But, I can do w/o noisy fans, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back