Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hey! I'm new here. I just did a Monterey install, and everything seems to be working except my Thunderbolt ports. They are enabled in BIOS. I'm just wondering if I missed something. Also, my CPU speed doesn't reflect what its set to in BIOS. I set it to the ai overclock. I think its at 5.5GHz? How do I get it to be the correct speed? Thanks for any help!

Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi
Intel core i7-13700kf 3.4 ghz 16 core processor
Amd radeon Rx 6800
Samsung 980 pro 2 tb m.2
Teamgroup T-create expert 64gb ddr5-6000

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 1.01.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 1.01.04 AM.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
Finally Success!! Still Testing but at first impression very pleased :) Will update after a coupole days but so far so good, Gotta test all my TB 3 & 4 devices now but just so psyched I got this going..

***Update:
Plugged in my OWC TB3 hub and think it caused some wonkyness? My intenet speed has dropped from 500Mb p/sec to about 100mbps.. Keep getting an intermittant screen freeze like thousands of colored lines that freeze accross the screen and then it takes me to the login window, like literally logs me out? Still testing and overall really good but just a couple twaeks and should be solid.. Any idea as to the glitches ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 10.45.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 10.45.40 PM.png
    763.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ ...

Followed your mini-guide, and successfully updated to MacOS Sonoma, but....

- Wifi and Ethernet are not working (both intel and Aquantia ethernet not working)

Do you know what might be missing? I should mention that did't make the part of 'Enabling Intel Bluetooth' since decided to keep broadcom bluetooth... for now.

Thank you!
Hi @CaseySJ

Sorry to insist... any idea why Ethernert and Wifi are not working after updating to Sonoma?

Thanks

Hi @CaseySJ

Sorry to insist... any idea why Ethernert and Wifi are not working after updating to Sonoma?

Thanks
It's a well known problem why Ethernet and WiFi don't work in Sonoma. See the following "cure" in the link below. Scroll down to "Hackintosh Notes". :thumbup:

Hi @CaseySJ

Thanks
Apple removed support for the broadcom WiFi cards from 2017 and before, which unfortunately includes our Fenvi cards. The Broadcom WiFi cards are officially supported by Sonoma are not available for purchase 3rd parties, seems that Apple has a wholesale deal with Broadcom.

There are workarounds to re-enable support in Sonoma from the fine folks at Open Core Legacy Patcher, but it is unsupported by Apple.

This is strong signal that it is the beginning of the end of Hackintosh, at least with respect to new macOS builds. Sooner or later, x86 support will be gone.

It's a well known problem why Ethernet and WiFi don't work in Sonoma. See the following "cure" in the link below. Scroll down to "Hackintosh Notes". :thumbup:

Thank you @Stork will try it later!

The Broadcom WiFi cards are officially supported by Sonoma are not available for purchase 3rd parties, seems that Apple has a wholesale deal with Broadcom.
They don't use Broadcom wifi/bt chips exclusively in the latest Macs that are Sonoma capable. iFixit teardowns show that they use a soldered on USI made Wifi/BT module and some from other companies. Apple's website never lists the 3rd party manufacturers of the chips they use.

Screen_Shot_8.jpg

Last edited:
They don't use Broadcom wifi/bt chips in the latest Macs that are Sonoma capable. iFixit teardowns show that they use a soldered on USI made Wifi/BT module. Apple's website never lists the 3rd party manufacturers of the chips they use. Even desktop Macs like Mac mini and Mac studio have these soldered to the logic board.

View attachment 571779

I think my M2 Mac Mini has a Broadcom wifi chipset - 0x14E4, 0x4388 - and so do some MacBook Pros this year.

... but that doesn't mean that we as Hackintoshers have access to them. Like the USI chipset you show, clearly Apple is ensuring they have a monopoly on the hardware.

If memory serves they did this with sound-cards too a few years back. Then my iMac or Mac Mini had a Cirrus Logic codec but you couldn't get a third-party PCIe slot version for love nor money.

Same old, same old, as they say.

:)

I think my M2 Mac Mini has a Broadcom wifi chipset
iFixit doesn't list the manufacturer and I can't read it from the photo. Even zoomed way in. You may be confusing it with the Broadcom ethernet in that Mac mini ?

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Even if it were made by Broadcom, we as consumers can't buy these for use in hacks.
Screen Shot 7.jpg

One of the tiniest logic boards ever. Why there's no room for socketed modules.

The 2021 M1 iMacs use Murata, another obscure company. https://www.murata.com/en-us/products/connectivitymodule/wi-fi-bluetooth Apple goes with whomever can make the chips the smallest.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Last edited:
iFixit doesn't list the manufacturer and I can't read it from the photo. Even zoomed way in. You may be confusing it with the Broadcom ethernet in that Mac mini.

View attachment 571781

Even if it were made by Broadcom, we as consumers can't buy these for use in hacks.
View attachment 571780
Tiniest logic board ever. Why there's no room for socketed modules.

The 2021 M1 iMacs use Murata, another obscure company. https://www.murata.com/en-us/products/connectivitymodule/wi-fi-bluetooth Apple goes with whomever can make the chips the smallest.

View attachment 571782

You're right. I'm easily confused! :D

I only went on System Report to scrape the wireless detail and the Device IDs are as given above:

wifi.png

... I just remember Vendor-ID "14e4" is Broadcom from all my efforts in getting a card-reader to work over the last week..

But I'm not going to argue with iFixit! :thumbup:

Back