Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

A handful of interesting new products were announced at Computex 2023 in Taipei.

One early trend that caught my attention: Motherboards with all connectors located on the back side, and cases to accommodate the revised cable paths.

Example: Asus TUF Gaming with rear connectors
IMG_9490.png

Another emerging trend is the inclusion of 5GbE ports and Wi-Fi 7.

Last edited:
Motherboards with all connectors located on the back side, and cases to accommodate the revised cable paths.
A good idea, will make for a cleaner looking build. The problem is that most people already have a case that won't work with these boards. Wonder if Asus will start selling cases with their name brand on them to custom fit these ?

A handful of interesting new products were announced at Computex 2023 in Taipei.

One early trend that caught my attention: Motherboards with all connectors located on the back side, and cases to accommodate the revised cable paths.

View attachment 567343

Ouch! That motherboard will require a new case design. My current cases, which I like to reuse, won't accommodate that motherboard design.

A good idea, will make for a cleaner looking build. The problem is that most people already have a case that won't work with these boards. Wonder if Asus will start selling cases with their name brand on them to custom fit these ?
Along the same lines:
  • We cannot use Wi-Fi 7 without a separate Wi-Fi 7 router
  • We cannot use 5GbE without a separate 5GbE (or faster) switch
  • We cannot use DDR5 motherboards without DDR5 DIMMs
Similarly:
  • We cannot use motherboards with backside connectors without a case that supports them
The introduction of backside connectors is not so much a problem, I think, as it is an opportunity for those who are interested in the transition.

Last edited:

View attachment 567343

I did not attend Taipei Computex 2023 this year.

2023-06-04_20-04-19.png

Along the same lines:
  • We cannot use Wi-Fi 7 without a separate Wi-Fi 7 router
  • We cannot use 5GbE without a separate 5GbE (or faster) switch
  • We cannot use DDR5 motherboards without DDR5 DIMMs
Similarly:
  • We cannot use motherboards with backside connectors without a case that supports them
The introduction of backside connectors is not so much of a problem, I think, as it is an opportunity for those who are interested in the transition.
I think my interest in this iteration of motherboards would depend on the available cases. If there is an advantage in the new designs then I’d be open to changing both.

I think my interest in this iteration of motherboards would depend on the available cases. If there is an advantage in the new designs then I’d be open to changing both.
Standard motherboards (with frontside connectors) aren’t going away any time soon! This is just another option that is opening up.

Wow, I seem to be a few days late in noticing the new OpenIntelWireless drivers (2.2.0 stable) that should work properly with Ventura!

Latest HackinDROM 1.1.8 can update the driver automatically.

(This is for Intel Wi-Fi.)

Wow, I seem to be a few days late in noticing the new OpenIntelWireless drivers (2.2.0 stable) that should work properly with Ventura!

I just assembled the Gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR5 motherboard and tested the Intel BT/WiFi. The WiFi driver is working fine, but even though the Bluetooth driver is installed, it still cannot detect any Bluetooth devices.

Is the 2.2.0 stable version kext allowing full 11ac speeds now?

Back