Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@maxxx To get this screenshot with the i9-12900K you must have E cores disabled in BIOS and quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo disabled.

Raptor Lake (13th Gen) and Alder Lake (12th Gen) is socket compatible, same P+E Core architecture.
Somehow the MacOS is able to identify correctly with the 12th Gen and behaving differently on 13th Gen. I understand this is MacOS was never designed to work with this processor, I'm just curious to what differentiate them.

View attachment 566568
Out of curiosity, are you using CpuTopologyRebuild.kext?

10 May 2023 - Asus ProArt Z690-Creator build updated using Hackindrom 2.1.7

1. OC 0.9.2 update was successful.
  2. Ventura 13.3.1 (a) upgrade successful.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are you using CpuTopologyRebuild.kext?
Yes I did, I forgot to put it there. The kext works. updating geekbench score, highest so far for me.

1683776218185.png

1683773697386.png

1683773525802.png

Last edited:
Yes I did, I forgot to put it there. The kext works. updating geekbench score, highest so far for me.

View attachment 566585

So my i9 12900K has always shown hyper-threading disabled when I was not using CpuTopologyRebuild.kext. I experimented with it for a week or so. I noticed a nudge in GB scores, but I really didn't feel the difference in my apps. I did recently perform an in-place upgrade to Ventura 13.3.1a and it went surprisingly well. I thought I would give it a try first, knowing I may have to do a clean install. So far, no problems.
Here are my GB scores under Ventura:

GB5.jpg

GB6.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 7.46.37 AM.jpg

My rig hasnt been able to sleep for a long time, I follow CaseySJ to the letter and somehow mine can't sleep.

I'm experiencing issues with volume control, it always turns to maximum after sleep. Anyone has the same experience and possible remedy?

How to downgrade Thunderbolt firmware to NVM31 on Asus ROG Strix Z690-i Gaming WiFi mini-ITX board? I tried to flash with SPI-flasher,but thunderbolt flrmware still NVM36

You need to convince Asus technical support that you absolutely need support for Thunderbolt 1/2 devices, so they make a custom BIOS to downgrade NVM on your board.

Would someone mind clarifying this:
View attachment 565963
My understanding was that this is partially cosmetic and really only necessary when using a non-Apple equivalent card (esp not necessary with SMBIOS’s that don’t run headless), or when needing GPU port definitions. I’ve been running with both this and the audio DP commented out b/c if they are enabled/defined, System Profiler reports Metal as “supported” and GB has a non-descript ID. When commented out, System Profiler shows “metal 3” and GB identifies the GPU correctly. IOW: default auto RadeonFB definitions seemed better. HOWEVER, seems pretty clear GB scores higher when it’s defined in DP.

I know there were some discussions about this a few hundred posts ago, but I don’t think I gleaned any clarity there.

I’m using a reference AMD 6900 XT BTW. I might have to freshen up on my WG reading again!

Thank you for any help,
J
@CaseySJ might you have any insight on this?

TL;DR: Using a ref AMD 6900XT (or a spoofed 6950) with DP defined System Profiler only shows “Metal Supported,” with this commented out, System Profiler shows “Metal 3.”

Interestingly, I noticed that on the machine where I'm spoofing a 6950 to a 6900, if I spoof it via an SSDT (without a "model" string, and w/o DP spoofing obviously), Mac OS names it "AMD Radeon Navi21," as one might expect as if Mac OS is determining the card via the AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext. As soon as I ADD a "model" string to the SSDT spoof, cosmetically the system will change "AMD Radeon Navi21" to my name -- i.e., AMD Radeon 6900 XT -- but suddenly "Metal Support" in System Profiler will then say "Supported" instead of "Metal 3." There is something deeper going on under the hood that I just want to understand.

Thanks for any insight:
J

Last edited:
Is there a fix for the instant wake on sleep in macOS when the onboard Aquantia ethernet LAN (AQC113c) is plugged in?

Back