Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I don't think Z690 will be much different from Z790 but on my ProArt Z790 I'm running 2x 6950XT and they run perfectly.
Woah, what are your metal scores like? And did you use a riser to slot the second GPU in or placed in right under the first GPU? Looking at mine i don't see much clearance for the second GPU.. It'll go in, but the airflow would be horrible.

WiFi/Bluetooth help.

@CaseySJ, or anyone, how do i remove the I/O cover? Can I do it while it's in the case or do I need to pull the board out?

z790.png

Finally got my A/E key M.2 NGFF adapter card and wanting to swap out the WiFi/Bluetooth to the BCM943602CS from an old 11,5 MacBook Pro (mid 2015) i had laying around.

BCM943602CS.png

Few questions..
- Is this module supported by Monterey/Ventura?
- Is it worth swapping it out with this module considering how it old it is or should I keep it as is?
- Would I need to disable all Bluetooth/WiFi kexts before replacing the module? Or can I do that after?
- Will this work on Windows 11?
- Is there anything else I need to do within my EFi/config.plist to ensure smooth boot/operation?

Currently, WiFi/Bluetooth work.. The main reason to swap is for full support (AirPort included) with no kexts (from my understanding native chips don't need kexts). Also, to see if it fixes the occasional Bluetooth panic attack.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks

WiFi/Bluetooth help.

@CaseySJ, or anyone, how do i remove the I/O cover? Can i do it while it's in the case or do i need to pull the board out?
From memory, I believe there are screws on the backside of the board that you have to remove.:thumbdown
I'm using the Fenvi BCM94360NG from Post #1 and it is completely supported with no extra kexts.

WiFi/Bluetooth help.

@CaseySJ, or anyone, how do i remove the I/O cover? Can I do it while it's in the case or do I need to pull the board out?
Alas we have to remove motherboard from the case.

Finally got my A/E key M.2 NGFF adapter card and wanting to swap out the WiFi/Bluetooth to the BCM943602CS from an old 11,5 MacBook Pro (mid 2015) i had laying around.
BCM943602CS is natively supported in macOS. It just needs to be same size as the existing Intel module.

Few questions..
- Is this module supported by Monterey/Ventura?
- Is it worth swapping it out with this module considering how it old it is or should I keep it as is?
We use the BCM94360NG instead, which has the proper dimensions.

- Would I need to disable all Bluetooth/WiFi kexts before replacing the module? Or can I do that after?
Are you referring to OpenIntelWireless kexts? If so, those should be disabled before replacing the module. Also okay to disable afterwards.

- Will this work on Windows 11?
Needs Broadcom drivers in Windows.

Ok...

So on my understanding BIOS 1720 and 9901 are currently ok for 13900K?!?!
Tks
The last BIOS from ASUS you should install is 2103. 9901 is okay too.

I'm running 2103, and it is surprisingly compatible with GSkill 24 GB DDR5 modules... I have 48 GB RAM at 7200 XMP, paid only $240, less than half the cost of what 32 GB DDR5 RAM cost when it first came out in late 2021. It is surprising because 2103 came out in September 2022, several months before 24 GB modules came on to the market... on the AMD side, they needed updated BIOSes from 2023 to support 24 GB DDR5 modules.

I'm going to ride z690 off into the sunset with this BIOS until I either get zen 5 and/or Arrow Lake. Never updating again.

2204 works fine in terms of CPU and memory stability, but the problem is it updates the Thunderbolt firmware NVM to NVM36 which on one hand addresses hot plugging issues with JHL6240 devices, but on the other hand it ends support for TB 1 & 2 devices. The other problem is NVM36 has a bad side effect where when XMP is on and/or memory speeds exceed 5000 MT/sec, the Thunderbolt controller encounters connectivity issues (when a Thunderbolt device is physically connected) on warm reboots from the BIOS and/or resuming from sleep. I'm wondering if this is due to a SoC or Uncore voltage?

2305 and the upcoming 240x series must be avoided because they have a regression block. 240x can roll back to 2305, but 2305 cannot roll back to 2204 and below. While it is possible to overcome that block, it is not straightforward, and you may lose your serial number, UUID, and Ethernet Mac address in the process of rolling back.

Last edited:
Good to see a mention of Zen 5 here!
Yeah I’m looking to give amd a chance! I really like AMD’s focus on power efficiency. Intel seems to be interested in doing the same with its Intel 4,3, and 20A nodes.

We’ll see what the next generation has to offer!

The last BIOS from ASUS you should install is 2103. 9901 is okay too.

I'm running 2103, and it is surprisingly compatible with GSkill 24 GB DDR5 modules... I have 48 GB RAM at 7200 XMP, paid only $240, less than half the cost of what 32 GB DDR5 RAM cost when it first came out in late 2021. It is surprising because 2103 came out in September 2022, several months before 24 GB modules came on to the market... on the AMD side, they needed updated BIOSes from 2023 to support 24 GB DDR5 modules.

I'm going to ride z690 off into the sunset with this BIOS until I either get zen 5 and/or Arrow Lake. Never updating again.

2204 works fine in terms of CPU and memory stability, but the problem is it updates the Thunderbolt firmware NVM to NVM36 which on one hand addresses hot plugging issues with JHL6240 devices, but on the other hand it ends support for TB 1 & 2 devices. The other problem is NVM36 has a bad side effect where when XMP is on and/or memory speeds exceed 5000 MT/sec, the Thunderbolt controller encounters connectivity issues (when a Thunderbolt device is physically connected) on warm reboots from the BIOS and/or resuming from sleep. I'm wondering if this is due to a SoC or Uncore voltage?

2305 and the upcoming 240x series must be avoided because they have a regression block. 240x can roll back to 2305, but 2305 cannot roll back to 2204 and below. While it is possible to overcome that block, it is not straightforward, and you may lose your serial number, UUID, and Ethernet Mac address in the process of rolling back.
Thank you for the info, and updating to 2103 I need to update also the ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.1885 or I can skip this. Reason is only because my machine doesn't have windows...

The steps for this build are insanely detailed but the parts aren't available on Amazon or Newegg (or it's super expensive). Any suggestion on replacement parts for this build that will still work? (I'm new to hackintosh)

Back