Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Thank for your reply. I see other users - you included - to have at least Thunderbolt Bridge under Ventura machines. . So something’s wrong with my Thunderbolt patch. IOReg is showing basically that is not enable, isn’t it?
That screenshot is from my Z390 Designare with flashed Titan Ridge. So far no one has Thunderbolt Bus enabled in Monterey or Ventura with Maple Ridge. I was able to enable it in Monterey by importing IOThunderboltFamily.kext from Big Sur, but this is a 'bad idea'! :)

I'm interested in Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge because I want to connect point to point my Mac with a Thunderbolt NAS.
The only viable option is to install a flashed GC-Titan Ridge into Asus Z690 ProArt.

Just tested this on Asus Z690 ProArt with Ventura 13.2 and a USB-C enclosure containing NVMe SSD. Unfortunately you are right — when connected to a Thunderbolt port, the drive vanishes on reboot and needs to be unplugged and re-plugged.
Thank you for your test.
Ventura + SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml?

How can @Azimuth1 get it working on reboot?
Tested my TH/USB-C ports and devices (NVMe disks with USB-C 3.2 gen.2x2 controller) are correctly hot plugged again when I restart my machine.
Thank you as well.
You are on Ventura, aren’t you? Which SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05 version did you use for testing? I tried both V1B and V2 but I could not get it to work on Ventura 13.3 beta 2 (beta 1 & previous didn't work either IIRC).

@ori69 - would you be so kind to do the same test on your Gaming X and your flashed GC-Titan Ridge (do you have the TB Headers connected as well?) ?

Also:
The Gigabyte GC-AQC113C is installed in my Z390 Designare test bench. In Monterey 12.6.4 sleep works properly with cable connected to AQC113C. Just confirmed that a minute ago.

View attachment 564158
Who knows what would happen on Ventura.
When did the sleep issue with a cable connected to the Creator 10GBe port appear? Ventura or before?

It’s pretty much impossibile to find that Gigabyte card, so I am wondering whether another make would work or not.

The only viable option is to install a flashed GC-Titan Ridge into Asus Z690 ProArt.
Just to confirm. A flashed GC-Titan Ridge w/ pin 3&5 bridged would work on any motherboard even if there is no TB Header connected, do you agree? I am thinking to move to another board and I am wondering whether I should go back to a Gigabyte board.

Last edited:
@m4rk0,
I tested on Ventura 13.3 public beta 2 and SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2.aml. And I just confirmed that sleep/wake works correctly in Ventura 13.3 when Ethernet cable is connected to Gigabyte GC-AQC113.

@Azimuth1,
If USB-C devices connected to Thunderbolt ports reappear automatically on reboot, then:
  • Which version of BIOS is on your Asus Z690 ProArt?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which Maple Ridge SSDT are you using?

Last edited:
It’s pretty much impossibile to find that Gigabyte card, so I am wondering whether another make would work or not.
If it's "just" about 10 GbE, don't focus on any specific card, nor even on Aquantia controllers.

For Thunderbolt, however, the Gigabyte Titan Ridge (v.1 or v.2) is the the one for which custom firmwares are available, and this particular card running out of stock is essentially the end of hackintosh builds with fully working Thunderbolt.

Just to confirm. A flashed GC-Titan Ridge w/ pin 3&5 bridged would work on any motherboard even if there is no TB Header connected, do you agree?
That's the whole point of shorting these two pins.
I am thinking to move to another board and I am wondering whether I should go back to a Gigabyte board.
Gigabyte has forcefully removed :eek: support for Titan Ridge through BIOS updates for some Z690/Z790 boards. So if you need a Hackintosh with working Thunderbolt, the best bet looks like a (flashed) GC-Titan Ridge (while supplies last!) in a non-Gigabyte motherboard.
The future of Thunderbolt, however, looks more and more like a real Mac.

If it's "just" about 10 GbE, don't focus on any specific card, nor even on Aquantia controllers.

For Thunderbolt, however, the Gigabyte Titan Ridge (v.1 or v.2) is the the one for which custom firmwares are available, and this particular card running out of stock is essentially the end of hackintosh builds with fully working Thunderbolt.

Gigabyte has forcefully removed :eek: support for Titan Ridge through BIOS updates for some Z690/Z790 boards. So if you need a Hackintosh with working Thunderbolt, the best bet looks like a (flashed) GC-Titan Ridge (while supplies last!) in a non-Gigabyte motherboard.
The future of Thunderbolt, however, looks more and more like a real Mac.
I was lucky(about time!) and succeeded in getting an open box GC-Titan Ridge for a normal price. Indeed, looks like the end of the line.

Thank you etorix :)

What do you mean?

Yep, got one sitting here. I was thinking to future proof it with a second one but they are running OOS lately…

I always wondered why there are two headers: a 3 pin connector and a 5 pin connector. Provided that the 5 pin one turns on the card, what are all of the others about?

Gigabyte has forcefully removed :eek: support for Titan Ridge through BIOS updates for some Z690/Z790 boards.
I noticed it. Ori69 managed to get the latest BIOS for his Gaming X to have the support added back…

Hello! Quick question - just finished new a new build with i7-13700KF, Asus ProArt Z690 Creator and Radeon RX 6600 with Monterey OS. All working great, no problems at all.

My question is - I had to update the BIOS on the motherboard to 2004 to use 13th gen CPU. Update went fine, computer is working blazing fast, geekbench scores are great and it’s stable. But I’ve read here that, besides updating the BIOS, I should also update the IntelME (even before updating the BIOS). Unfortunately, I don’t have a running Windows setup to do it. Is it really that important?

The board shipped with 1003 BIOS and IntelME version 16.0.15.1620 V3. Can I run into some potential problems if I won’t update the Intel ME firmware? Or - is there a way to do so without Windows?

Hello! Quick question - just finished new a new build with i7-13700KF, Asus ProArt Z690 Creator and Radeon RX 6600 with Monterey OS. All working great, no problems at all.

My question is - I had to update the BIOS on the motherboard to 2004 to use 13th gen CPU. Update went fine, computer is working blazing fast, geekbench scores are great and it’s stable. But I’ve read here that, besides updating the BIOS, I should also update the IntelME (even before updating the BIOS). Unfortunately, I don’t have a running Windows setup to do it. Is it really that important?

The board shipped with 1003 BIOS and IntelME version 16.0.15.1620 V3. Can I run into some potential problems if I won’t update the Intel ME firmware? Or - is there a way to do so without Windows?
If you're running Raptor Lake, then, yes, it is very important to update the ME. I would recommend to not update the BIOS beyond 2103 at the moment. 2004 should be fine too.

Hi Casey!
Hello @tdcam

Let’s start with the basics:
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which GPU?
  • Are any Thunderbolt devices connected?
  • What devices are connected to *internal* USB 2 headers?
  • What is the make/model of the monitor?
  • Are you using a straight DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (no adapters)?
  • Is this a brand new installation?
  • If so, was Migration Assistant used to import an older system?
I have a simular build:
Ventura
Radeon 6600
Asus Strix Rog Z790-E Gaming

Everything is working, but I have a strange issue. Every time a boot or reboot I MUST ResetNvram or I get a panic, [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]

ResetNvram and it boots fine. A hint, when I get into macOS it tells me there was a crash and ask if I want to reopen where I left off. I have never had this problem with any other Hacks.

Thank you in advance for any info you may be able to provide.

Mike

Hi Casey!

I have a simular build:
Ventura
Radeon 6600
Asus Strix Rog Z790-E Gaming

Everything is working, but I have a strange issue. Every time a boot or reboot I MUST ResetNvram or I get a panic, [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]

ResetNvram and it boots fine. A hint, when I get into macOS it tells me there was a crash and ask if I want to reopen where I left off. I have never had this problem with any other Hacks.

Thank you in advance for any info you may be able to provide.

Mike
Some questions:
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?
  • When did the problem begin? Did it begin with Ventura 13.1 or 13.2 or 13.3?
  • When you installed this system, was it a clean install without using Migration Assistant?
  • Which version of OpenCore?

Back