Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Does the macOS installer start up properly?

Do you have a bootable backup? If so, does it boot properly?

If Windows or Linux is also installed, does it boot?
macos and installer cannot be boot .
Internel nor external.

Windows can boot (by opencore or windows boot)

macos and installer cannot be boot .
Internel nor external.

Windows can boot (by opencore or windows boot)
If macOS installer also fails to boot, then I think something is wrong with EFI folder and/or BIOS setting.

If there are 2 or more EFI partitions, let’s first check that the system is booting from the correct partition. We can check BIOS -> Boot Priority.

Another option is to copy the EFI folder, remove serial numbers from config.plist and then compress and post that folder.

Hi CaseySJ and everyone. I'm thinking of migrating my Z490 Xtreme hack to the Z690 ProArt build (i7 12700K, and a RX 5700XT). Thinking back is there anything you'd do differently with this Z690 build ? Any regrets ?

Also, I read a good part of the thread, and do I understand right that @CaseySJ recommends Macpro 7,1 as system definition?

Thanx for the great write up!

If macOS installer also fails to boot, then I think something is wrong with EFI folder and/or BIOS setting.

If there are 2 or more EFI partitions, let’s first check that the system is booting from the correct partition. We can check BIOS -> Boot Priority.

Another option is to copy the EFI folder, remove serial numbers from config.plist and then compress and post that folder.
Only 1 EFI partition I got ,

here is the EFI without s/n .
Thank you.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 27
Hi CaseySJ and everyone. I'm thinking of migrating my Z490 Xtreme hack to the Z690 ProArt build (i7 12700K, and a RX 5700XT). Thinking back is there anything you'd do differently with this Z690 build ? Any regrets ?

Also, I read a good part of the thread, and do I understand right that @CaseySJ recommends Macpro 7,1 as system definition?

Thanx for the great write up!
Hello @Bergier3K,

Intel's 12th Gen parts are available at discounted prices and I personally think they remain a compelling option. I wouldn't do anything different with the Z690 ProArt build, except perhaps to use this case, which should be releasing in a few days:

AY3SS2301280GU3R705.jpg

And yes I recommend MacPro7,1 for System Product Name.

@CaseySJ Thanx for the reply! It was indeed my intention to benefit from the lowering prices, even if here in north europe they remain higher than in the US. For the case I have a Fractal Torrent, no LCD screen (how do you even drive that with Macos ??) but a very nice airflow.

I forgot a question : For the P and E cores, do you favour more Option #1 or Option #2 ? (from what I understand Option #2 would be better no ?)

Last edited:
Only 1 EFI partition I got ,

here is the EFI without s/n .
Thank you.
Was a Windows Feature Update applied recently? Here we see that Microsoft's boot loader has been interwoven with OpenCore:

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 7.09.55 AM.png

Recommendation:
  • First try just these changes to OpenCore config.list (use the original version with serial numbers inside)
Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 7.14.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 7.15.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 7.16.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 7.18.00 AM.png

** OpenCore 0.8.9 Released **

Update to OpenCore 0.8.9 using latest version of HackinDROM, v2.1.5 as described in post below

Last edited:
** Updating and Using HackinDROM App **

@Inqnuam recently updated the app to version 2.1.5. This post describes the procedure to update the app and update OpenCore.

If you are running an older version, you will see a prompt to Download the latest version. Select that option, wait for the download to complete, then select Exit to quit the app. This is shown as Step 1 and Step 2.

(The app can also be downloaded manually from here.)

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.40.02 AM.png

When the new version is downloaded, this Finder window will appear. Drag the HackinDROM app to the Applications folder as shown:
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.40.09 AM.png

Now launch the App from the Applications folder and mount the correct EFI partition (the one that needs to be updated). In my case (2nd screenshot below) it is the Kingston drive. Once the EFI partition is mounted, right click in the red box shown in the 2nd screenshot.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.43.19 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.41.25 AM.png

An Update pop-up will appear as shown below. Click the Update option to begin. The app will perform an in-place update and backup the previous EFI folder.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 8.41.34 AM.png

Last edited:
I forgot a question : For the P and E cores, do you favour more Option #1 or Option #2 ? (from what I understand Option #2 would be better no ?)
Option #1 is: P+E+HT. You get everything you pay for and maximal multi-thread performance; the ring bus between cores is slightly throttled to accommodate the E-cores, which slightly throttles P-cores. (P and E core have their own, independent, peak frequencies.)
Option #2 is: P+HT, E cores disabled in BIOS. The ring bus runs slightly faster than in option #1, and P-cores achieve the highest possible single-thread performance; multi-thread performance takes a hit, since there are less cores to contribute.

@CaseySJ cautiously recommands to test with your actual workload, and decide based on your use case. One cannot argue with that. But I'd suggest that, unless you're desperate for absolute single-thread performance, option #1 is the obvious choice—and if you go for option #2, you may as well consider a CPU without E-cores.

Back