Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@etorix thanx for the explanations. I'm not desperate for performance, and honestly a i7 is overkill for my use (most used software is Ulysses, so yeah, overkill) but I like having a bit of performance, "just in case".

With option 2 the overall frequency will be that of the E cores, so roughly 1ghz less no ? I'm a bit rusty with modern cpus... Anyway, I guess I could try both and see what feels best.

Actually, maybe someone can answer that. Which of the 2 options would be more energy efficient, and coolest ? And if one is, would it be so significantly ? I'm trying to reduce my energy usage (ironically by planing to by an i7) when possible.

And again thanx to everyone, it feels good nowadays to find helpful people !

Last edited:
With option 2 the overall frequency will be that of the E cores, so roughly 1ghz less no ?
Again: P-core and E-cores manage their own frequencies independently of each other (values are in ark.intel.com for each model). The common value, and that which depends on the presence of active E-cores, is that of the ring bus which connects them all.

Actually, maybe someone can answer that. Which of the 2 options would be more energy efficient, and coolest ?
The coolest and most energy efficient option is… a real Mac with Apple Silicon.
The third best option is a Ryzen 7000 CPU. (Thanks to the knowledge of AMD OS X and some awesome debugging work by @CaseySJ AM5 is a very viable Hackintosh platform.)
The second best option is a Ryzen 7000 with its TDP/power limit dialled down one notch (170 W -> 105 W or 105 W -> 65 W): Small performance loss for big gains on power and heat.
An Intel CPU, at this point, is the worst option for efficiency, irrespective of settings. (Like AMD, one may dial down the power limits, but contrary to Zen4, this has an immediate effect on performance.) If macOS had a suitable scheduler for the hybrid architecture, option #1 would be the least bad; but since macOS has no such scheduler for x86 it probably doesn't matter or make a difference.

An Intel CPU with E-cores only would be an intriguing option for power efficiency, but I don't know if we will see Alder Lake-N in a platform which could be hacked into running macOS.

Was a Windows Feature Update applied recently? Here we see that Microsoft's boot loader has been interwoven with OpenCore:

View attachment 563423

Recommendation:
  • First try just these changes to OpenCore config.list (use the original version with serial numbers inside)
View attachment 563424View attachment 563425View attachment 563426View attachment 563427
Hi,
I deleted windows parts, in EFI,
And did all your suggestion,
Reset NVram,
And , it run more text , but still stucked ...

Attachments

• 16764718842604594777720980629868.jpg
    16764718842604594777720980629868.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 34
I never researched it much, and I always believed, without any good reason, that AMD cpus where more power hungry.
It's the opposite, and has been for some time. Comet Lake used so much power that Intel backed down from 10 cores to a maximum of 8 performance cores with Rocket Lake, and resorted to introduce Atom-derived E-cores and the hybrid architecture to increase the number of cores and compete with 16-core Ryzen.

Hi,
I deleted windows parts, in EFI,
And did all your suggestion,
Reset NVram,
And , it run more text , but still stucked ...
I just booted Ventura 13.2.1 on my Asus ROG Strix Z690i Gaming mini-ITX system using the attached EFI folder:
  • It is a copy of your original EFI folder with changes that were described in previous post
  • I also replaced OpenCore.efi and BOOTx64.EFI
Please copy your serial numbers into PlatformInfo -> DataHub and try this version.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I just booted Ventura 13.2.1 on my Asus ROG Strix Z690i Gaming mini-ITX system using the attached EFI folder:
  • It is a copy of your original EFI folder with changes that were described in previous post
  • I also replaced OpenCore.efi and BOOTx64.EFI
Please copy your serial numbers into PlatformInfo -> DataHub and try this version.
That is strange......
I still cannot boot mac os by this EFI.
Even I did a bios update.
Is mine board problem ?

That is strange......
I still cannot boot mac os by this EFI.
Even I did a bios update.
Is mine board problem ?
Perhaps the NVMe SSD is not compatible.
  • What is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
  • Are any SATA devices connected? If so, what are the makes/models?
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?

Perhaps the NVMe SSD is not compatible.
  • What is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
  • Are any SATA devices connected? If so, what are the makes/models?
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?

I using this 'Mac Pro' since last year , so I don't think it's compatible issue,
I tried take away all SSD , but still can't boot usb installer
I just updated Bios to 2204 , and same .
it is really strange ....

I using this 'Mac Pro' since last year , so I don't think it's compatible issue,
I tried take away all SSD , but still can't boot usb installer
I just updated Bios to 2204 , and same .
it is really strange ....
I am still on BIOS 2104. Have you tried that version.

Back