Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Ventura public beta is now live.

** Public Beta of macOS Ventura Now Available **

If you have upgraded to OpenCore 0.8.2 it should be possible to perform an in-place upgrade to the public beta. As always, we strongly recommend making a full bootable backup first.

Update: OpenCore 0.8.3 pre-release may be necessary.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Have you updated?
Yes, I have it installed on a spare disk. I don't particularly like stage manager. How do you like it?

Opencore developers have had to make some changes to accommodate the new beta, it seems Apple is making some low level changes to how the kernel collection is loaded and so forth. I think the latest OC 0.8.3 beta is necessary to load the beta. Apple also dropped Skylake support including the UHD 530 frame buffer, but Skylake lives on with opencore, and Skylake users apparently can inject the Kaby Lake frame buffer.

The beta works okay but I wouldn't use it as a daily driver yet. It sometimes crashes during resume from sleep.

As a side note, I've been having issues with resume from sleep in macOS, with occasional USB drop-outs in macOS Monterey. Sometimes my USB2.0 keyboard would disconnect and macOS would say the keyboard needs more power which is odd. Also, certain attached USB3.1 disks occasionally disconnect as well during resume-from-sleep.

I thought the problem had to do with XMP profile being enabled, but it may be a BIOS bug. Seems that the issue is related to the amount of USB ports enabled. Asus z690 Formula has a weird internal USB2.0 hub situation going on, the internal USB2.0 ports and some of the external USB ports are attached to the same hub. In fact, my Kraken cooler stopped responding once after resume from sleep. I needed to cold boot to get the internal USB port to respond again...something that has never happened before.

So the solution has been to disable a couple of USB ports both in the BIOS and also in my macOS port map. In macOS, I disabled the port attached to the Aura Led controller (as I don't need to use it), the one attached to the OLED screen, and the one attached to the onboard Realtek Audio device (as I use a Motu audio interface), and some other USB2.0 ports. In the BIOS I disabled the front and rear USB-c ports (the Formula has a USB3.2 usb-c port on the rear in addition to 2 thunderbolt 4 ports). I also disabled another rear USB-a port in the BIOS. And the problem seems to have been resolved. No dropouts, no random disk disconnects.

I will continue to experiment and see if I can get the front USB-c port to work with sleep, but as it stands, any device attached to that port causes the system to immediately wake from sleep (in all OSes). Subtle bugs.

Next, have you tried disconnecting all USB devices except keyboard and mouse?

Are you using original Intel WiFi/BT or Broadcom/Fenvi BCM94360NG?

What devices are connected to internal USB 2.0 headers

What devices are connected to internal USB 2.0 headers

What devices are connected to internal USB 2.0 headers?
Thanks.
Broadcom OXWIFI for WiFI/BT.
I disconnect all USBs and looks like sleep behavior is normal.
I have connected via USBs, Logitech camera, external HD, 2 USBs for a external panel and iPad cable. Also via Thunderports a Lacie HD with apple adaptor...
After some research, leaving the HD on Thunderport and the other one on one USB after the system sleeps for some time, did awake but with some messages regarding the incorrect disconnection and the one on Thunderport doesn't shows anymore (until boots again).
Some of USB ports are showing ok but when connecting nothing shows up..(i.e Logitech camera, joystick, etc).

Thanks again for your help...

Last edited:
Yes, I have it installed on a spare disk. I don't particularly like stage manager. How do you like it?
Adapting to change is often a gradual process rather than a step function. Some changes are easier to adopt, of course, and I'm finding (a) Stage Manager and (b) Settings to be a bit harder to adopt. Some specific comments:

Stage Manager:
  • It's a bit awkward to enable and disable
  • I like having desktop icons present on the desktop, but Stage Manager hides them when any application window is present; it gives the entire stage to the application window
  • It treats the desktop as its own stage, so desktop icons are only shown when only the desktop is visible
  • It would be good to have a preference (oops, I mean setting) that allows us to keep (a) disk icons and/or (b) stacks and/or (c) individual file/folder icons visible at all times
Settings:
  • First issue is the linearization of various settings that were previously organized into hierarchical panes and tabs
  • Although linearization makes more settings directly visible, it adds clutter and makes us hunt through them to determine where the old familiar settings went
  • Various animations that showed for example, trackpad gestures, have been removed; not sure if animations will make a return, but it doesn't seem likely because iPadOS does not include them either

Opencore developers have had to make some changes to accommodate the new beta, it seems Apple is making some low level changes to how the kernel collection is loaded and so forth. I think the latest OC 0.8.3 beta is necessary to load the beta. Apple also dropped Skylake support including the UHD 530 frame buffer, but Skylake lives on with opencore, and Skylake users apparently can inject the Kaby Lake frame buffer.
When I return from vacation (soon) I'll test Public Beta 1 with OC 0.8.2 and again with 0.8.3.

So the solution has been to disable a couple of USB ports both in the BIOS and also in my macOS port map. In macOS, I disabled the port attached to the Aura Led controller (as I don't need to use it), the one attached to the OLED screen, and the one attached to the onboard Realtek Audio device (as I use a Motu audio interface), and some other USB2.0 ports. In the BIOS I disabled the front and rear USB-c ports (the Formula has a USB3.2 usb-c port on the rear in addition to 2 thunderbolt 4 ports). I also disabled another rear USB-a port in the BIOS. And the problem seems to have been resolved. No dropouts, no random disk disconnects.

I will continue to experiment and see if I can get the front USB-c port to work with sleep, but as it stands, any device attached to that port causes the system to immediately wake from sleep (in all OSes). Subtle bugs.
Interesting; various USB-related issues have been reported even in Gigabyte Z690 hacks. On the Z690 Aero G, for example, one of the USB-C ports does not work in macOS -- never figured out why.

Last edited:
Adapting to change is often a gradual process rather than a step function. Some changes are easier to adopt, of course, and I'm finding (a) Stage Manager and (b) Settings to be a bit harder to adopt. Some specific comments:

Stage Manager:
  • It's a bit awkward to enable and disable
  • I like having desktop icons present on the desktop, but Stage Manager hides them when any application window is present; it gives the entire stage to the application window
  • It treats the desktop as its own stage, so desktop icons are only shown when only the desktop is visible
  • It would be good to have a preference (oops, I mean setting) that allows us to keep (a) disk icons and/or (b) stacks and/or (c) individual file/folder icons visible at all times
Settings:
  • First issue is the linearization of various settings that were previously organized into hierarchical panes and tabs
  • Although linearization makes more settings directly visible, it adds clutter and makes us hunt through them to determine where the old familiar settings went
  • Various animations that showed for example, trackpad gestures, have been removed; not sure if animations will make a return, but it doesn't seem likely because iPadOS does not include them either

When I return from vacation (soon) I'll test Public Beta 1 with OC 0.8.2 and again with 0.8.3.

Interesting; various USB-related issues have been reported even in Gigabyte Z690 hacks. On the Z690 Aero G, for example, one of the USB-C ports does not work in macOS -- never figured out why.
I feel that when Stage Manager is on, the Desktop should remain visible for sure. It’s kinda weird to have to click first to access the Desktop.

Also, the main issue I have with Stage Manager is as follows. Say you’re on a Stage with Finder open, and you’re copying files from one folder to the next. Sometimes you may overwrite a file with a newer version or sometimes you need to type in your password depending on where you’re writing to. When this happens, Finder opens up a dialog box to allow you to choose yes/no to overwrite, or to type in your password. On every macOS version up until now, this dialog box seamlessly popped up over the current Finder window, and you entered whatever credentials. However, with Stage Manager, that dialog box is opened on its own “stage” so the window(s) that you previously had opened are minimized and the dialog box takes center stage. It is very jarring that copying a file can result in the main Finder window minimizing into the background. It’s ridiculous in my opinion. It’s not good UI design in my opinion.

The other thing I don’t like with Stage Manager is Mission Control’s integration (or lack thereof) with Stage Manager. Mission Control doesn’t seem to respect the “stage” that you’re in. Say you have Safari and Finder open on one Stage with other apps open on other Stages. When you invoke Mission Control, all open apps on that Desktop/space are displayed on the screen… it’s confusing. If apps are partitioned into “stages” with Stage Manager, then, when I invoke mission control from a specific “stage”, I’m not thinking about the other apps on other “stages”. I’m only thinking about the ones open on the current stage that I’m on. So why show all apps?

It would be good if apple allowed us to customize the operation of Stage Manager
  1. Show Desktop always? Yes/no
  2. Mission Control - display all apps or display only apps on the current stage?
  3. Etc.

Stage Manager has potential. However, as of this current early beta iteration, it seems to be more a solution in search of a problem (that causes problems of its own) rather than being a cool new way to interact with a Mac.

What Apple should do, if it wants to enhance productivity, is offer a window-snapping feature like Windows 11 or the one I use on Mac - Mosaic. There’s a bunch of others like moom, rectangle, etc.

Having some serious instability issues. Mem test showed a ton of errors. Currently running 4x 32GB 5200 RAM in my hack. I’ve read that 4 sticks isn’t working well on a lot of Z690 boards. Could this be the source of the problem, are there any workarounds to fix this other than running just 2 sticks? any help/guidance would be much appreciate!

Attachments

• 1A76C0AF-B014-4025-9F2D-1194E26913B2.jpeg
    1A76C0AF-B014-4025-9F2D-1194E26913B2.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
Having some serious instability issues. Mem test showed a ton of errors. Currently running 4x 32gb 5200 RAM in my hack. I’ve read that 4 sticks isn’t working well on a lot of z690 boards. Could this be the source of the problem, are there any workarounds to fix this other than running just 2 sticks? any help/guidance would be much appreciate!
Have you tested anything with just 2 sticks? or other types of memory?
BuildZoid made some comments on tuning DDR5 memory on Asus motherboards. Maybe you can get some ideas here:

Back