Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ or anyone with knowledge about this.

I got this offline cloner . It does M.2 SSDs. I was just wondering if you recommend CCC over this, or do you think it is okay for me to use an offline cloner.

I have actually never used it before, so I thought I could just take use of it, now that I already have it. if it is good to do so. I'm just not sure if it would be as good as CCC, and copying over EFI folder to its partition.

I'm assuming offline cloner would clone every partition over to the other drive, and one wouldn't need to go through all the extra stuff. I'm new to these cloners. :)

@CaseySJ or anyone with knowledge about this.

I got this offline cloner . It does M.2 SSDs. I was just wondering if you recommend CCC over this, or do you think it is okay for me to use an offline cloner.

I have actually never used it before, so I thought I could just take use of it, now that I already have it. if it is good to do so. I'm just not sure if it would be as good as CCC, and copying over EFI folder to its partition.

I'm assuming offline cloner would clone every partition over to the other drive, and one wouldn't need to go through all the extra stuff. I'm new to these cloners. :)
Hello @MuffinCrumbs,

I've not used an offline cloner myself, but I'm not opposed to such tools. Because you have one now, I'm sure many of us would be very interested in your experience. For example:
  • Do both NVMe SSDs have to be the same capacity?
  • How long does the cloning process take for a certain capacity?
    • For example, if you're cloning a 512GB or 1TB NVMe SSD, how long does it take for a disk of that size?
  • Is the clone fully bootable?
The disadvantage of an offline cloner is that we have to physically remove the NVMe SSD from our motherboard and install it into the cloner.

With Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, of course, the source disk remains where it is. These software solutions can also clone a source disk to a smaller destination disk as long as there's enough space. This is because only the used space on the source disk determines the minimum size of the destination disk.

Hello @MuffinCrumbs,

I've not used an offline cloner myself, but I'm not opposed to such tools. Because you have one now, I'm sure many of us would be very interested in your experience. For example:
  • Do both NVMe SSDs have to be the same capacity?
  • How long does the cloning process take for a certain capacity?
    • For example, if you're cloning a 512GB or 1TB NVMe SSD, how long does it take for a disk of that size?
  • Is the clone fully bootable?
The disadvantage of an offline cloner is that we have to physically remove the NVMe SSD from our motherboard and install it into the cloner.

With Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, of course, the source disk remains where it is. These software solutions can clone a source disk to a smaller destination disk as long as there's enough space. This is because only the used space on the source disk determines the minimum size of the destination disk.

Thank you for your answer. Alright. first for everything, right.

I got 512gb MacOS drive Samsung EVO 970, I'll clone it over to 1tb Western Digital SN850 and on 1tb Kingston Renegade 1tb.

I'll do this and report back. :) will try to do it later this week, before weekend, or the weekend. hehe

What should not be activated is the "Optane" setting in the BIOS, which sets up Optane as a fast cache for a HDD (Intel's version of Fusion Drive): macOS does not know of this mode, and requires AHCI mode to access hard drives.

It should be possible to use Optane as regular NVMe drives for Windows and/or macOS. No driver is required for this, but it may be necessary to disable NvmeFix.kext (try with and without).
What is your use case for Optane?
I just thought if it brings more speed to read/write. If it is related just HDD, then not much use.

Hello @MuffinCrumbs,

With Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, of course, the source disk remains where it is. These software solutions can also clone a source disk to a smaller destination disk as long as there's enough space. This is because only the used space on the source disk determines the minimum size of the destination disk.
I have used SuperDuper and it got the job done nicely and very fast for just clean Mac OS without any data. Only after cloning, need to copy EFI folder to clone disk EFI partition.

Because the Samsung phone appears in System Information --> USB, it means it is connected. Because I have never owned an Android phone, all I can say is that the device is connected. What happens (or what should happen) if you connect the same phone to a real Mac?
Solved it. Needed Android File Transfer app.

You may want to try the latest build of OpenRGB, which is cross-platform. No guarantees it will detect and control RGB on your GPU, but worth a try...
Open RGB did not work in Monterey. No devices were detected, rescanning caused it to quit.

** liquidctl 1.10.0 Released **

The latest release includes the Asus Aura LED driver for this motherboard’s controller and two similar controllers:
  • Device 0x19AF
    • found in ASUS ProArt Z690-Creator WiFi
  • Device 0x1939
  • Device 0x18F3
    • found in ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Formula

Hi CaseySJ or anyone, my geekbench score became very low, like halve of then normal value. I thought it was because I put single memory module, now that I have put 2 memory module, the score keep very low for i7-12700K.

1656922635993.png

The score just felt off the cliff. Booting into windows, getting the normal result.
1656940064178.png

1656924154725.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    38.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ or anyone, my geekbench score became very low, like halve of then normal value. I thought it was because I put single memory module, now that I have put 2 memory module, the score keep very low for i7-12700K.

The score just felt off the cliff. Booting into windows, getting the normal result.
Hello @maxxx,

Some questions / suggestions:
  • Was something new installed on the system recently that might have triggered this problem?
  • Looking through your config.plist I spotted two issues that should be corrected, but they may or may not have an effect on GeekBench CPU score. These changes should be made nevertheless.

Screenshot #1: Uncheck CpuTscSync.kext.
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 9.20.04 AM.png

Screenshot #2: Change ProcessorType to 3841 (not 3842). This should cause the right CPU name to appear in "About this Mac".
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 9.18.13 AM.png

Save the changes and reboot. Try GeekBench again.

Back