Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Ok, however, the phone should connect anyway, shouldn't it?
Does it connect to front panel USB-C port? Are you using a USB-C “data” cable or “charging” cable?

Which USB port map SSDT are you using? (Posting a screenshot of config.plist —> ACPI will show this.)

Also, have you seen the USB port map diagram in Post 1, which tells us which ports are enabled and disabled in each USB port map SSDT?

The Samsung phone uses either USB 2 or USB 3 (most likely USB 2).

Does it connect to front panel USB-C port? Are you using a USB-C “data” cable or “charging” cable?

Which USB port map SSDT are you using? (Posting a screenshot of config.plist —> ACPI will show this.)

Also, have you seen the USB port map diagram in Post 1, which tells us which ports are enabled and disabled in each USB port map SSDT?

The Samsung phone uses either USB 2 or USB 3 (most likely USB 2).
No, it does not. Yes. Tried both with USB-C to USB-C cable which came with HP monitor, also tried with various USB 3 to USB-C cables, all original cables which both power up and transfer data (checked in windows).

ACPI screenshot is attached.

Yes, I have seen it. I even tried SS01-HS01which is not disabled in 15-port limit.
Connecting the phone to that port also only charges it.
And, the phone details actually appear in USB devices tree list.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 8.26.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 8.26.00 PM.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 8.48.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 8.48.45 PM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 22
Casey,

I have few questions and issues:

1. For some unknown reason, WI-Fi cannot be toggled on/off in menu bar. I disconnected Ethernet cable to test if I am able to switch wi-fi on. There is exclamation mark on Wi-Fi icon. No Wi-Fii connection option in the Network Preferences Pane as well. But, as for post 1 onboard Wi-Fi should work on Mac, only BT does not work.

2. In post 1 you mentioned not to install Intel Optane drivers. Is it applicable even if Windows and Mac OS are on different M.2 drives? If yes, is there a work around like using different BIOS profiles? I am using three different saved BIOS profiles for Win 11, Win 10 and Mac OS.

3. The case I am using is beQuite 500DX and it has RGB lighting. RAMs also RGB. AIO is A-RGB Arctic Liquid freezer. GPU also has RGB lighting. All of them are connected to ADD GEN 2 connectors on mobo. I used Armory Crate in Win 11 to control RGB lighting but it only controls case, fan and RAM. GPU color could not be controlled. Is there any solution to unanimously control and set color profiles for all these devices?

No, it does not. Yes. Tried both with USB-C to USB-C cable which came with HP monitor, also tried with various USB 3 to USB-C cables, all original cables which both power up and transfer data (checked in windows).

ACPI screenshot is attached.

Yes, I have seen it. I even tried SS01-HS01which is not disabled in 15-port limit.
Connecting the phone to that port also only charges it.
And, the phone details actually appear in USB devices tree list.
Because the Samsung phone appears in System Information --> USB, it means it is connected. Because I have never owned an Android phone, all I can say is that the device is connected. What happens (or what should happen) if you connect the same phone to a real Mac?

Casey,

I have few questions and issues:

1. For some unknown reason, wi-fi cannot be toggled on/off in menu bar. I disconnected ethernet cable to test if I am able to switch wi-fi on. There is exclamation mark on wi-fi icon. No wi-fi connection option in the Network preferences pane as well. But as for post 1 onboard wi-fi should work on Mac, only BT does not work.
Intel WiFi is not natively supported in macOS, but it is supported by OpenIntelWireless drivers, namely AirportItlwm. Have you enabled this driver in config.plist --> Kernel?

2. In post 1 you mentioned not to install Intel Optane drivers. Is it applicable even if windows and Mac OS are on different m.2 drives? If yes, is there a work around like using different bios profiles? I am using three different saved BIOS profiles for win 11, win 10 and Mac OS.
Yes, I believe the problem will occur even if macOS and Windows are on physically separate drives. The person who originally reported this problem had a dual boot system with the operating systems on two physically different drives. Alas I have never used Optane myself. If this is a brand new system and you're willing to run some experiments, it may be worth an attempt to enable Optane and see what happens. Take all necessary precautions, such as fully backing up the macOS and EFI partitions.

3. The case I am using is beQuite 500DX and it has RGB lighting. RAMs also RGB. AIO is A-RGB Arctic Liquid freezer. GPU also has RGB lighting. All of them are connected to ADD GEN 2 connectors on mobo. I used Armory Crate in win 11 to control RGB lighting but it only controls case, fan and ram. GPU color could not be controlled. Is there any solution to unanimously control and set color profiles for all these devices?
You may want to try the latest build of OpenRGB, which is cross-platform. No guarantees it will detect and control RGB on your GPU, but worth a try...

Last edited:
Hello,

I am following this great thread as i'd like to replace my former Z390 Designare setup. But i'd like to go for an ITX system this time, and while the Asus board seems very good, i would be more interested in going for the MSI MEG Z690i Unify (because it has 3 M.2 ports). Did anyone tried with this board? Would there be something very different from Asus board (especially about Thunderbolt)?

Thanks and sorry if this is not the right thread to post, i just cannot find more info on this board and i find your guides very precise and always up to date!

Hello,

I am following this great thread as i'd like to replace my former Z390 Designare setup. But i'd like to go for an ITX system this time, and while the Asus board seems very good, i would be more interested in going for the MSI MEG Z690i Unify (because it has 3 M.2 ports). Did anyone tried with this board? Would there be something very different from Asus board (especially about Thunderbolt)?

Thanks and sorry if this is not the right thread to post, i just cannot find more info on this board and i find your guides very precise and always up to date!
I vaguely recall someone building a Hackintosh around the MSI MEG Z690i Unify. However, have a look at @NorthAmTransAm's MSI Pro Z690-A build thread here for some pointers:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-pro-z690-a-ddr4-i7-12700k-amd-rx-580.319149/
It should be straightforward to adapt that EFI folder to the mini-ITX board. The primary changes will be to:
  • USB port map
  • DeviceProperties
Because this board uses Realtek ALC-4080, we simply need to use AppleALCU.kext. No "layout ID" is needed because this is USB audio.

Hello,

See here #2,212 and here #2,387 for posts stating issues with Thunderbolt, I think I have an idea what to change in the BIOS now after returning the board but I can't say for sure.

Is there any solution to unanimously control and set color profiles for all these devices?
If Casey’s suggestion doesn’t work out, you can get something like this:

If have it on my z390m in my FD case and it’s trick. Since it’s a manual control, the cycles/color/etc would be set for all.

In post 1 you mentioned not to install Intel Optane drivers. Is it applicable even if Windows and Mac OS are on different M.2 drives? If yes, is there a work around like using different BIOS profiles? I am using three different saved BIOS profiles for Win 11, Win 10 and Mac OS.
What should not be activated is the "Optane" setting in the BIOS, which sets up Optane as a fast cache for a HDD (Intel's version of Fusion Drive): macOS does not know of this mode, and requires AHCI mode to access hard drives.

It should be possible to use Optane as regular NVMe drives for Windows and/or macOS. No driver is required for this, but it may be necessary to disable NvmeFix.kext (try with and without).
What is your use case for Optane?

Back