i7 12700f
Xfx radeon Rx 6650xt
post 1 has a wealth of knowledge

Hi,
Gpu and processor is not showing in about this mac. Can you please help me
Z690
i7 12700f
Xfx radeon Rx 6650xt
Please note that AMD's RX 6650XT is brand new and probably uses a device-id that Monterey does not recognize. Fortunately we should be able to (remains to be tested) add a supported device-id to our config.plist as follows (for Asus ProArt Z690-Creator):
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 2.40.20 PM.png

Z690 is my favorite for several reasons:
  • More PCIe lanes; hence fewer constraints on which slots and ports can and cannot be used in what combination.
  • Faster CPUs; After years of stagnation at 14nm++++++, Alder Lake represents a solid breakout.
  • Thunderbolt Bus activates on Asus Z590 and Z690 boards that have built-in Maple Ridge controllers by simply adding a simple SSDT (Big Sur only, however).
  • Ability to replace on-board Intel WiFi/BT module with Broadcom BCM94360NG.
  • Supports PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 5.0 add-in-cards even though there are hardly any PCIe 5.0 offerings at the moment.
  • BIOS contains DMAR table without any Reserved Memory Regions, hence we can enable AppleVTD without removing and replacing the default DMAR table.

Yes I like z690. too. Competition from AMD coupled with Apple‘s exit seems to have forced Intel to wake up. Z690 is Refined, Alder Lake is the biggest launch in years with serious performance uplifts. just yesterday Intel announced the HX mobile series sku for mobile workstations and gaming laptops with up to 16 cores and 24 threads. Intel essentially took the desktop version of alder lake and thinned it down to fit in a mobile form factor. Brings PCIe 5 to mobile for the first time.

And I have much less issues than on z590. On my z590 box, for example, whenever I restart from macOS (say to install updates), the Thunderbolt bus is dead so I have to power cycle. My macOS disk is on a NVMe enclosure connected via Thunderbolt so as you can imagine it’s frustrating. On z690, no such issues It works as intended, and thunderbolt hot plug is working well with macOS unlike z590 gigabyte.

Looking forward to next gen AMD zen4 later this year as well as Intel Raptor Lake and then Meteor Lake. I wonder if macOS 13 will eventually gain support for next gen RDNA3 ? Only time will tell but overall I am happy to see both companies firing on all cylinders.

For me, the 500-series was - how can I put it? - a "mis-step" by Intel. Apart from increased OC memory speeds, which most won't or can't make use of, there was little to recommend it. Especially in a Hackintosh. So it's great that the 600-series has made solid, usable improvements.

:)

I've just bought one. It comes before 12 am GMT Friday. So I'll have my build apart and all that. However I'll try. What's the spoof code, mate?
The one highlighted in red?

so its the 7814000, any boot args or anything
you will have to test to see if it works

also will probably require:
agdpmod=pikera boot argument

Intel announced the HX mobile series sku for mobile workstations and gaming laptops with up to 16 cores and 24 threads. Intel essentially took the desktop version of alder lake and thinned it down to fit in a mobile form factor. Brings PCIe 5 to mobile for the first time.
I think there's room for interpretation and I'm amazed at what a gangly strange offering the HX seems to be. HX is in the lurch.

Without OC the HX is hitting 125W+ with a matching GPU for target market. IA can contend with Apple ARM only because of OC, but this means packing 300W+ in a laptop?Intel is doubling down on OC otherwise their latest product seems to be going backwards. But with OC the HX is absurd due to cooling problem.

If Intel is making any progress on power at all, that annoucement will have to come from an OS vendor. But the one that would have asked for E cores prolly just hedged while building their own chips instead. When I see Windows meaningfully touting efficiency, a new dawn will have come, possibly due to light of nuclear armageddon. If Microsoft ever does tout efficiency, you won't want it in the form of a shrunken Intel OC desktop! You'll want something like, you know, Apple is doing.

PCIe5 is in its infancy, and is only offered here for dGPU option, where soldering it into a brick makes no sense. Is gaming actually limited by PCIe? Maybe at 8 or 16K?

HX Thunderbolt (USB4) is not on die? Maybe I misread or didn't grok that... As total aside, does TB have any prospect of doubling or quadrupling wire speed? That will be news that could mean much more to mobile / modular builds than PCIe5, you know, like the way Apple thinks about it!

Yes, RocketLake and 500 series look pretty lame. The shortest running flagship in Intel's history.

But it's a jump to say 600 series is a real achievement because it simply works — I'm playing with words to make a point about how rarified and insular this local scene is regarding taste in offerings. Intel never thought "What if a hackkntosher wants to replace one of our AX modules with a Broadcom?"

I think that if Alder Lake is any sign of the future, and it seems to be, IA is over a barrel. Microsoft cannot offer the needed guidance and will go to grave before making needed changes in thinking. They seriously can't figure out what to do with the Start Menu.

From perspective of Apple users Intel has lost its way. The Mac Studio Ultra qualifies as portable if not mobile by Alder Lakr HX reckoning — Apple should introduce a $600 handle option. At other end of scale, per coming 56 core Xeons, I would like to read the application notes re workloads compared to M1 Ultra. And I'm sure those Xeons are in 2019 Mac Pro pricing zone.

If there's going to be real competition, the time is ripe for a Linux pheonix to rise, but what will such a bird look like? The Framework yahoos are busy building the world's most irrelevant modularity.

it's like PC thinking is back in 1995.

Thankfully crypto-currency is here to usher us into a brave new world of value! Maybe Apple will finally return to clone business and replace the PC entirely as all long-term signs point to DRM-mitigated rental schemes for content.

Back