Contribute
Register

Asus Z590-E WIFI Gaming No longer boots after BIOS update

From here on out on if you are going to post about how im wrong and my ports are operating at the correct speed then just dont F'IN POST because I HAVE TESTED THE PORTS MULTIPLE TIMES. ALL THIS STARTED OVER A BIOS UPDATE OK. I NEVER said that the fact the ports were locked at 2.0 was the reason macos wasnt booting I was simply stating the obvious run around ASUS is giving me, but I swear im gonna lose my mind if one more person asks me if I checked the speeds myself because I dont know how many times I have answered that question now!

Secure Boot is not Enabled, and Ill even repeat it again the day before macos booted, next morning ran bios update, and from then on it has no booted. This has already happened once IT WAS IN FACT USB RELATED (that board also was capped at 2.0 speeds Im just finding out now tho too but dont matter) they swapped the board and all was good again. Now im not super intelligent when it comes to OC and MacOS stuff, but please do not treat me like im a complete idiot. If I tell you something was tested, or is working, then it is I have no reason to lie to anyoine here as I came here to seek help!

UtterDisbelief: Thank you! I will run a hardware report and see what I can come up with there...

...Ill even repeat it again the day before macos booted, next morning ran bios update, and from then on it has no booted. This has already happened once IT WAS IN FACT USB RELATED (that board also was capped at 2.0 speed
...I know its really hard to believe but its really starting to sound true both those board even tho they had plenty of USB 3+ ports only capped out at USB 2 Speeds.... thats pretty sad!
...I NEVER said that the fact the ports were locked at 2.0 was the reason macos wasnt booting I was simply stating the obvious run around ASUS is giving me...
Well I do believe they were working at one point [Windows?] as I never made any changes to my OC stuff and I know the day before it worked, the next it didnt

Your reports are contradictory. So there's no sense in following your reports.

If you want to move forward, first determine that your board works correctly for either Linux or Windows.

If it doesn't work under Windows or Linux, there's no sense in trying to debug a hack!

If it does work, then you can stop harping about ASUS gyping you on USB and move forward to figuring our what config needs to be adjusted to make macOS work.

The #1 reason a hack will stop working after a BIOS update is that settings are cleared by the update.

Last edited:
Your reports are contradictory. So there's no sense in following your reports.

If you want to move forward, first determine that your board works correctly for either Linux or Windows.

If it doesn't work under Windows or Linux, there's no sense in trying to debug a hack!

If it does work, then you can stop harping about ASUS gyping you on USB and move forward to figuring our what config needs to be adjusted to make macOS work.

The #1 reason a hack will stop working after a BIOS update is that settings are cleared by the update.
I CAN STOP HARPING? You should look at the logs I mentioned it once and said I would post stuff from the emails in the future, etc etc but people just kept saying im wrong or full of it or whatever so it most certainly wasnt me dragging this nonsense on I just wanted to make it known wht they are saying that was all I guess I should have put more at the end of the original post in the words of something like troubleshooting is on pause in the mean time but as youll see people kept sticking up for asus saying they never said that i misread it (LMFAO) or whatever.. It IS USB related problem since the bios update as its the same errors I had with the FIRST ASUS board. Im getting USB related errors that arent worth mentioning. I just need the board replaced at this point. Also my reports are not contradictory the wording sucks Ill admit to that but Its in regards to the same issue non stop which is USB.....

Lastly since I was simply originally troubleshooting till I figured it out I thought this was a good first place to mention how BAD ASUS has gotten, but an email I got from them last night confirms they indeed do claim that the ASUS Prime Z490-A LGA 1200 (the reason I had the board even replaced was because of the usb speeds and these idiots that did the RMA didnt even know of the limitation cuz i asked if the old board has the same issue) even though it has USB 3+ ports on it, according to them they are all capped at USB 2.0. Honestly this cannot be legal its false advertising you cannot say your product has the capability of USB 3+ speeds when it is not!

Also my current board ASUS Z590-E WIFI Gaming also has plenty of USB 3 ports on it, but once again ASUS straight up says the board is capped at 2.0 speeds and because of this they said they are giving me an exception but they want proof of purchase first (this is 2nd replacement idiots have it already) and they wont even tell me what the EXCEPTION is until I send my board in with ANOTHER proof of purchase only then will they tell me...Just keeps getting better and better now ill be without a board cuz I refuse to give them a CC as the first time they did they took so long to send me the replacement I even warned them the card was gonna be charged and they let it go thru anyways and it took almost 2 weeks to them to credit the card back!

I wont be posting here anymore until I either get the board replaced or if I get a new one entirely Ill let someone know they can close the post out!!!!!!

Last edited:
You write you are seeing reports "minor USB errors". Maybe you have a bad device that's crashing USB3 and leaving USB2 running? These are separate controllers and circuits that share ports.

Have you gone through your devices looking for a culprit like a damaged device connector or frayed cable?

Re Asus support headaches: They are messed up, but so is the entire PC industry.

My Asus board has a BIOS defect that causes it to report an "open case fault" at POST after a power cycle. Too bad there's no case header. It also often hangs at POST with an undefined code 80 requiring a power cycle, which causes another open case fault. Luckily the second reset usually doesn't hang again. There have been 18 BIOS versions so far and this open-case bug has been around for 5 of them. The hang bug has been around for all of them.

User posts on Asus forums reveal others see the same symptom for more than a year. Yet we all know that no vendor actually reads and responds to forum posts. That's just the approved space for customers to yell at each other and share misinformation about workarounds.

But my Asus glitch is nothing compared to an experience with a $30,000 Sun server that would shut down spontaneously with an open-case fault induced by a firmware update. Unfortunately for my job at that time, the service contract expired between the release of the firmware that introduced the bug, and the release of the firmware that fixed it. Sun support wouldn't provide a fixed firmware without a renewed service contract. It's like they were actively shaking their customers down for fees!

Forgive me, I am rambling. But this is just as an offer of relief from your troubles, to assuage you with my tales of the universal unfairness of life.

Regarding your specific plight...

I've read 10 of thousands of posts here, but I've never before read about a board's USB being "capped" by a BIOS update.

Your word "capped" is an odd choice of terms, because it suggests you believe something is intentionally limiting your kit.

I figure you would have used the term "kneecapped" if that's what you meant, so I am left to guessing about the dark implications of the word.
At this point, recitation of your logs in prayer outside the temple at Asus is more likely to gain the favor of the gods than shouting a litany against the corruptions of the BIOS in hackintosh public square.

Do not sacrifice a goat or other animal!

Blood sacrifice is only appropriate when begging for mercy from punishment by ESD damage.

USB caps are best handled with fasting and quiet prayer in penance for past sins.

May the gods of PC in their infinite wisdom take pity upon you.

You write you are seeing reports "minor USB errors". Maybe you have a bad device that's crashing USB3 and leaving USB2 running? These are separate controllers and circuits that share ports.

Have you gone through your devices looking for a culprit like a damaged device connector or frayed cable?

Re Asus support headaches: They are messed up, but so is the entire PC industry.

My Asus board has a BIOS defect that causes it to report an "open case fault" at POST after a power cycle. Too bad there's no case header. It also often hangs at POST with an undefined code 80 requiring a power cycle, which causes another open case fault. Luckily the second reset usually doesn't hang again. There have been 18 BIOS versions so far and this open-case bug has been around for 5 of them. The hang bug has been around for all of them.

User posts on Asus forums reveal others see the same symptom for more than a year. Yet we all know that no vendor actually reads and responds to forum posts. That's just the approved space for customers to yell at each other and share misinformation about workarounds.

But my Asus glitch is nothing compared to an experience with a $30,000 Sun server that would shut down spontaneously with an open-case fault induced by a firmware update. Unfortunately for my job at that time, the service contract expired between the release of the firmware that introduced the bug, and the release of the firmware that fixed it. Sun support wouldn't provide a fixed firmware without a renewed service contract. It's like they were actively shaking their customers down for fees!

Forgive me, I am rambling. But this is just as an offer of relief from your troubles, to assuage you with my tales of the universal unfairness of life.

Regarding your specific plight...

I've read 10 of thousands of posts here, but I've never before read about a board's USB being "capped" by a BIOS update.

Your word "capped" is an odd choice of terms, because it suggests you believe something is intentionally limiting your kit.

I figure you would have used the term "kneecapped" if that's what you meant, so I am left to guessing about the dark implications of the word.
At this point, recitation of your logs in prayer outside the temple at Asus is more likely to gain the favor of the gods than shouting a litany against the corruptions of the BIOS in hackintosh public square.

Do not sacrifice a goat or other animal!

Blood sacrifice is only appropriate when begging for mercy from punishment by ESD damage.

USB caps are best handled with fasting and quiet prayer in penance for past sins.

May the gods of PC in their infinite wisdom take pity upon you.
Where do I start..... OK...... First of all yes I probably checked all my devices like 5 times now lol!

NO worries on your rambling I appreciate your words.... I just used the word capped they did not and it wasnt the BIOS update they claim those models were only capable of USB 2.0 even before the update so im told earlier....

Anyways I laughed rest of the read good times! I will reach back to yall if I get any useful information. They said they are willing to make an exception if I give them proof of purchase (this would be the 2nd RMA they already have the POF LMAO) they said when they receive that AND the board only then will they tell me what the exception is... ya because they are basically trying to get me to bend over and its not gonna happen lmao. Anyways sorry I was a dick earlier but I didnt appreciate being called a liar more or less not saying you just in general.. Have a great night... In the end im probably gonna drop the asus board not sure where maybe MSI cuz i really dont wanna go bak to asus and have the same problem happen a 3rd time lol!

Good Day everyone! Please leave post open for time being

Alright below is an excerpt from corp. cust service in regards to USB 2 Speeds........

-----------------------------------------

My name is Kat M., and I am contacting you in response to your recent emails. We understand that you are not satisfied with your experience, and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

In response to your question about the USB function, model ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI would be able to get 2.0 on those ports and not anything higher, as the specifications are set for 2.0 on the USB connections.

After reviewing your contact history, the resolution options we are offering are:
1. Replacement of your original motherboard (serial number of M9M0KS048253Z99) to an upgraded/comparable model of motherboard.
2. Return of the motherboard with serial number of M9M0KS048253Z99 to us for refund of purchase price and tax paid for the unit, after a valid receipt/invoice has been provided.
3. Reimbursement in the amount of the MSRP for the unit, with the return of the original motherboard with serial number of M9M0KS048253Z99 (without receipt/invoice).

----------------------------------------------

So after I think over a year they wont even OFFER me a board with USB 3 functionality... That even legal?

There's something very strange going on with your dialog with Asus:
ASUS: In response to your question about the USB function, model ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI would be able to get 2.0 on those ports and not anything higher, as the specifications are set for 2.0 on the USB connections.

Here's the marketing...

- Best Gaming Connectivity: Supports HDMI® 2.0 and DisplayPort™ 1.4 output, and featuring quad M.2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A and Type-C® connectors 

So there has to be a misunderstanding in your the dialog with ASUS.

Asus and the entire world are completely clear that these boards support USB3—not withstanding the one or two USB 2-only ports (black) used for old-school HID and flashback. ...I hope you haven't been confused about these.

Any further dialog with Asus support about USB 2-only seems crazy to me because that board is obviously specced as USB 3 capable which is in keeping with the chips they source to build the board!

Did you verify USB functionality on another OS?

You can boot a Ubuntu installer and test it without changing anything else in you kit. If USB 3 doesn't work under Linux, you can choose to return the board!

If you've never tested another OS, that's not carrying water: A hack that has only USB 2 only is a completely normal case of incorrect port mapping!

As to Asus Support language, that's a total mystery, and I would ignore it because it makes no sense.

What you want to figure out is what's so special about you that your experience of two USB 3-capable boards for which somehow USB 3 doesn't work, plus board support staff directly contradicting their own marketing this most obvious capability—!

It has to be a misunderstanding.

PLEASE BOOT LINUX AND REPORT

As I said in the past I have already tested and verified this to be true at least on the board that I have. There is no misunderstanding in my dialogue i asked them like SIX TIMES and this Kat person that just replied got involved because I kept asking them.. I would have never bought the board not to mention this is my 2nd motherboard they UPGRADED ME to because I sent the first board back because it was stuck at USB 2 speeds which they are now telling me that board has USB 2 limitations as well and it should have never been RMAd..

There is no way in hell this is legal to advertise a board as USB 3 but then the ports only function at USB 2.

Anyways Im off topic but I wanted to report back as over and over everyone keeps telling me test the board which ive done several times and that ASUS is pulling my chain or whatever, well if they keep on tugging im getting an attorny

This is not a "claim" vs "reality" problem. It's a true mystery.

How have you ended up with multiple boards that don't work according to well-known capability and support staff who believe that not working is normal and disavow their own claims? It's absurd.

It seems your next action must be to return the board for a replacement. The chances of 3 with the same problem should be so minuscule as to be beyond belief.

In the mean time, I am curious to know more about how you go about determining USB speeds, specific config, devices, test approach, etc.

I only ask this because it's the only aspect that can have further bearing on this story. Otherwise, you might as well expect a lightening strike to be as likely as any form other remediation.

Best to you.

@odine2012,

Okay, so let’s just say that what Asus says is true (that the ports are indeed capped at USB 2.0). I want to ask you - with mapping your USB ports which script did you use? USBToolbox, USBMap, USBPorts or something else and did you try them all? What does your USB Hackintool output say?

Back