Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this may fix the OWC card not working after update it fixed my 88SE9230 card

DSDT MAR1 Marvell card (PCI Slot 4)
Device (MAR1)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
}

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (PICM)
{
Return (AR21)
}

Return (PR21)
}

Device (PXSX)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero)
Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
{
0x09,
0x04
})
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x08)
{
"AAPL,slot-name",
"PCI4",
"device_type",
"AHCI Controller",
"name",
"Marvell AHCI Controller",
"model",
"Marvell 88SE9230 SATA Controller"
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-2-ghz-32gb-geforce-gtx-770-a.html#post670043

Tried that. I no longer get to the white screen. Goes through all the same text (seemingly), and then just blacks out.
What BIOS?
Try:

cpus=1 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No

If that doesn't work try:

cpus=1 npci=0x2000

10.8.5 version of the guide has been posted! Enjoy.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...reme-core-i7-3930k-successful.html#post326728

shilohh spent a lot of time helping me with this one; and the Tonymac admin team also made some tweaks to Unibeast and Multibeast that helped GREATLY. So spread around the thanks.

Make sure you use the new Unibeast 2.1.1 and Multibeast 5.5.2. The earlier versions caused kernel panics that I spent about a week trying to diagnose.

What BIOS?
Try:

cpus=1 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No

If that doesn't work try:

cpus=1 npci=0x2000

I just updated to 4206. Tried both options with a newly made USB stick using the latest UniBeast. Both ways, I get to a white screen with the Apple logo, then a spinner like it's loading, and then a black screen. From the white screen to black is about 15-30 seconds.

I just updated to 4206. Tried both options with a newly made USB stick using the latest UniBeast. Both ways, I get to a white screen with the Apple logo, then a spinner like it's loading, and then a black screen. From the white screen to black is about 15-30 seconds.
Hmmm, well cpus=1 is not needed anymore and neither is the VoodooTSCSynk kext we were using post install.

I'll try to explain a little about what we're doing to see if helps you understand a little more.

-v is what's causing all the text to apear when the system is booting. It causes the system to load slower which can be helpful or unnecessary. It's main purpose is to show you what's loading and what's not, and also to show errors.

GraphicsEnabler=Yes shouldn't be needed with 10.8.5 stock drivers but I can't say for sure on your system. My EVGA 580 3GB classified and EVGA 570 HD 2.5GB work without it. GraphicsEnabler=Yes is default in UniBeast. You override it by entering GraphicsEnabler=No.

PCIRootUID=0 or 1 tells the system which PCI UID. Our's is 0 and this can be seen in IORegistry Explorer. Some people can actually boot with 1 but the correct value is 0. Chameleon uses 0 by default but PCIRootUID=1 has been added to UniBeast overriding it to 1, but again the correct value for our board is 0 and that's why I must enter PCIRootUID=0 to boot. No explanation why 1 works for some with this board.

npci=0x2000 is still kind of a mystery to me. No one I've asked seems to know what it really does under the hood. The only answer I get is "it keeps the system from hanging at PCI Configuration Begin" but no explanation. The other thing that is commonly said is that 0x2000 is for lion and 0x3000 is for mountain lion but in 10.8.5, 0x3000 keeps audio from working and 0x2000 must be used instead.

With the current UniBeast and BIOS 4206 I'd use:

PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No -v

but you can try theses to:

PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 -v

or

npci=0x2000 -v (this wouldn't make sense to me if it worked but try it anyway)

or

npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No -v (this wouldn't make sense to me if it worked but try it anyway)

PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 -v

This is what ended up doing it for me! In the instructions in the OP, it still says to set GraphicsEnabler to No. This made my system not boot. Changed it to Yes and now it works! Thanks for everything!

Heads up everybody,

The 10.8.5 Supplemental update has been released but lots of actual "Apple Mac" users are still reporting bugs like apps crashing. I still haven't updated my main system drive from 10.8.4 and don't think I will until Apple gets it together. I have installed 10.8.5 fresh on a spare drive a couple of times for testing and havent experienced any issues but never used these installs for any extended period of time.

This might be just luck but I took my chances and upgrade from software update. I haven't run in any issues so far and believe me I'm rendering in AE, video and Psd etc. For my surprise I got a higher Geekbench Score.

Attachments

• geek.png
    geek.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 200
This might be just luck but I took my chances and upgrade from software update. I haven't run in any issues so far and believe me I'm rendering in AE, video and Psd etc....

I also applied the update via software update. It worked fine; but I had to run Multibeast 5.5.2 again and just apply the audio drivers. Then reboot and audio was back.

The only bug I've found so far; which has been reported by other "real Mac" users was that the mach_kernel file is visible at root. Just run this command line to fix:

Code:
sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel

Otherwise I am also running all my apps without problems. PS CS6, FileMaker Pro 11 Adv., Office Apps, iTunes, browsers, BBEdit, etc. So far so good.

I did have an issue where my bluetooth dongle had to be unplugged and reconnected after sleep; but I'm not sure if it was the device I was using or the actual dongle. Anyone else have an issue like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back