Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, my x79's alc892 works fine with 10.8.5, I just had to reinstall the stuff from multibeast 4.6.1 to get it working again.
No Multibeast audio has ever worked for our ALC898.

I dunno, my x79's alc892 works fine with 10.8.5, I just had to reinstall the stuff from multibeast 4.6.1 to get it working again.

Is your USB3 working on 10.8.5? If so, which driver are you using? Which BIOS are you on?

Is your USB3 working on 10.8.5? If so, which driver are you using? Which BIOS are you on?
The CalDigit ones still work and they have always had faster transfer speeds than the new "generic" one.

Attachments

• mlydinesh 2958-USB3_10.8.zip
    199.6 KB · Views: 73
The CalDigit ones still work and they have always had faster transfer speeds than the new "generic" one.

Pshew; those are the drivers I'm still using. They should be the ones included in MultiBeast 5.2.1

I never had any luck with the "Generic" ones included with the newer MultiBeasts. They crash my system.

So I'm going to attempt the update then and change my build if successful.

Thanks!

I'm running 10.8.5 with the GenericUSBXHCI drivers without an issue on my R4E with Bios 4206 (I can't get the system to overclock in OSX on the 4403 bios). USB3 speed seems fine, at least the write speeds. I'll run a few tests with it and the CalDigit driver to see if gives me better results.

Also, audio works fine with Toleda's Interim AppleHDA and DSDT edits for 898.

I'm running 10.8.5 with the GenericUSBXHCI drivers without an issue on my R4E with Bios 4206 (I can't get the system to overclock in OSX on the 4403 bios). USB3 speed seems fine, at least the write speeds. I'll run a few tests with it and the CalDigit driver to see if gives me better results.
My last test writing to an SSD using a usb3 to SATA adapter gave 20-25% faster read/write speeds with CalDigit over GenericUSBXHCI.[/QUOTE]

Also, audio works fine with Toleda's Interim AppleHDA and DSDT edits for 898.
Really weird.... Switching from npci=0x3000 to npci=0x2000 just brought audio back. Can anyone explain why that would matter? I thought npci=0x2000 was only for Lion but I know it still worked in ML.

My last test writing to an SSD using a usb3 to SATA adapter gave 20-25% faster read/write speeds with CalDigit over GenericUSBXHCI.
I tested my system last night with both and I'm getting almost identical speeds with both drivers. Perhaps the Generic driver improved a lot or it's the drive I'm using.

Really weird.... Switching from npci=0x3000 to npci=0x2000 just brought audio back. Can anyone explain why that would matter? I thought npci=0x2000 was only for Lion but I know it still worked in ML.
I thought the same thing. Although, I've never been able to get my system to boot with 0x3000, only 0x2000.

Ugh, 10.8.5 hasn't worked out well for me at all. Having major trouble with booting. Major frustrations!

As shilohh and others mentioned; I'm also noticing that I think 0x2000 is now working instead of 0x3000.

The good news for everyone else is that I'm probably doing a clean install shortly on a fresh drive and will update the whole guide with newest versions of everything at the same time. What a pain though.

At least I get to play with my new iPhones while I wait for installs. My wife and I were both on 3 year old phones (iPhone 4) so are loving the new 5s. Had to wait all night in line though (she wanted Gold).

new_phones.JPG

Did a fresh 10.8.4 install on a formatted ssd and got everything running the usual way but used npci=0x2000. Used all my usual kexts and settings. Rebooted, repaired permissions and installed 10.8.5 combo. Reinstalled interim HDA and hnak network kexts. Rebooted and repaired permissions and everything worked without issue. It just bothers me that I can't narrow down for sure what caused my first attempts to fail.

Ugh, 10.8.5 hasn't worked out well for me at all. Having major trouble with booting. Major frustrations.

Which bios are you running and did you generate a new DSDT w/patches? When I first updated I was having issues booting and it was a DSDT issue. I ended up deleting my DSDT then pulling a new one and patching it according to Shilohh's Guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/9233...eme-x79-guide-extract-edit-your-own-dsdt.html (big thanks Shilohh!). I did that with bios 3602, although I ended up updating to 4206 and generating a new one for that. Both work fine. I tried running 4403 but I couldn't OC, etc.

You might also try disabling kernelcache until you get things running solid. I recently added "kernelcache=no" to my boot args just to avoid any issues there. It takes a little longer to boot, but that doesn't bother me since my system is a production machine and stays on all day once I boot it up.

It's worth noting that I don't use Chimera from here, but Chameleon (currently on rev 2263). You can use Chameleon Wizard to update and stay current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back