Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, only on hackintoshes. I may not have stated it above, but my instructions are for only Hackintoshes. When you format a drive for Mac OS X, the Disk Utility takes care of the actual Mac bootloader. Do NOT use any of the tonymacx86 procedures, software on your Mac Pro except running UniBeast to make a UniBeast Installation USB Drive. If you run MultiBeast on your Mac Pro, you'll render it inoperable.

I have a partial success - can boot from hdd successfully using boot - ignore caches but verbose and normal boot gives me a kernel panic. asus rampage iv extreme, asus gtx 670 direct cu ii, i7-3930k, 32GB corsair vengeance 1866mhz, corsair h100i. booting from a 300GB sata drive, for whatever reason the 120GB sandisk ssd I had wasn't working so I will just carbon copy clone once I have this drive setup correctly.

Appreciate any insight...

I cant get the Black Magic card working, it will not boot no matter what PCI slot I put it in. Anyone has a suggestion what I could try?

Here is a pic of the screen I get when doing a normal boot or verbose boot - thank you so much for all of the great info in all nearly 60 pages of this thread! From what I'm gleaning I believe the kernel panic is due to my DSDT and my NVIDIA GTX 670 (Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II).

I am continuing to research this issue, I do have success booting with no cache, but I really want to get this install 100% stable...

20130610_163411_kernel_panic_1k.jpg

Attachments

• 20130610_163411_kernel_panic.jpg
    20130610_163411_kernel_panic.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 121
I cant get the Black Magic card working, it will not boot no matter what PCI slot I put it in. Anyone has a suggestion what I could try?
I have a Decklink SDI that has worked fine from day 1 without issue. The trick is not using a DSDT that was extracted on another system with different PCI cards installed. Try booting DSDT=No and see if everything works right. If it does, try following my DSDT guide to extract and edit your own DSDT with your specific PCI configuration so you don't get PCI conflicts. Also, every time you update your BIOS or add or rearrange PCI cards in their slots, you may need to extract and edit a new DSDT.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/9233...eme-x79-guide-extract-edit-your-own-dsdt.html

Ok thanx, I will try in 2 weeks as I am editing a huge project and dont want to mess up things. One question though, if I boot with DSDT=no, next time do I have to enable it again? Also, can I make a backup copy of working DSDT use new one and if that didnt work use the old one. Is there a place where you put these DSDT files ?

Thank you

Ok thanx, I will try in 2 weeks as I am editing a huge project and dont want to mess up things. One question though, if I boot with DSDT=no, next time do I have to enable it again? Also, can I make a backup copy of working DSDT use new one and if that didnt work use the old one. Is there a place where you put these DSDT files ?

Thank you
No you don't have to enter any flaggs to re-enable. When you enter DSDT=No at the chameleon or chimera screen, it only effects that boot, so you'll want to move it out of the /Extra folder until you want to use it again. When the bootloader see DSDT.aml in /Extra, it will use it unless you've entered DSDT=No. You can store the DSDT file in any folder you want. Put it back in /Extra whenever you are ready to start using it again or just put the new version there if you've made one. I like to store versions in folders named with the version name instead of naming the different DSDT files because the DSDT must be named "DSDT.aml" in order to be recognized. Also, when testing new DSDT functionality, make sure not to use Kext or Kernel cache or you will have trouble or see no change in functionality.

I currently have the XFX 6870 2GB in my PC. I was wondering if it was possible to install a GFX 770 with this motherboard? If so how would I go about changing from AMD to NVIDIA?
-Joe

Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 13.13.25.png

With some great help following this guide, as well as following shilohh's guide for patching and fixing DSDT for my R4E 4102 BIOS I've finally got my system up and running!

There is only a few things I don't understand, like why does system reporter report my CPU, as well as the Intel AHCI on-board SATA controllers as unknown?

Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 13.13.05.png

Is this normal, or have I managed to do something wrong along the way?

My biggest problem is that I can't get the audio working at all.. I followed all the instructions, I did the whole KextBeast with Interim_898_Lion_AppleHDA thing but I still got no audio going.

Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 13.08.53.pngScreen Shot 2013-07-03 at 13.08.27.png

As you can see the Intel High Definition Audio is listed by system reporter, so something must have been done right, but I also got this list of devices with on-board Apple things which I'm not entirely sure what's all about considering MK500 doesn't seem to have any of these listed at all in his screenshot.. And judging by my audio output panel it doesn't seem like the Intel High Definition Audio outputs and inputs are listed at all..

I also noticed that when I connect my headphones directly into the headphone jack at the I/O panel on the back of the motherboard, or through the HD Audio front panel connection I get a constant hiss for static noise through my headphones which sticks no matter if I chose other outputs, mute the volume and everything.

What might I have done wrong with the audio?

Scratch that audio thing, seems like the on-board jacks on my Rampage IV Extreme are not working as they refuse to work under Windows as well.. Only static noise and the Realtek control panel never recognises any connection whatsoever..

I won't bother with returning it and will just grab a optical DAC instead as optical out is working perfectly. Or are there some PCI-Express cards that actually work with OS X? I've got my Creative Titanium HD but I hardly doubt that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back