Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thank you. The EFI allowed me to get to Mojave and/or Mojave Install; but it stops after the Random Seed error ++++++++ and reboots the machine.

Hello :) so maybe we have to use even more basic EFI at the beginning :p
Please try with this one and let us know, if something go wrong.
PS: Please say something more about your BIOS settings.. are they same as in KGP guide X299 Mojave....
then on what kind of storage you want to install it, did you add something
to EFI send by me before installation...? :)

Attachments

• EFI jiffy 2.zip
    35.5 MB · Views: 108
The attached BIOS is the latest version (1902) for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe I (not II) mobo.

The attached, modified BIOS uses the image below as a replacement for the ASUS stock image. I've been using this modified BIOS for a few weeks and it works well and is completely stable (unlike earlier BIOS releases for this mobo).

(In fact, I'd about given up on this mobo, but decided to give it one more go before moving on; this new BIOS was the ticket.)

I prepared the BIOS following the instructions laid out by KGP on the first post of his massive thread (I didn't quite like his image, nor that version of the BIOS). I re-sized the chosen image in an iterative process to maximize the size in order to fit in place of the stock ASUS image. I believe the image was created by someone known as Howiedi2.

This BIOS is flashed as per the ASUS manual. Before flashing, please duplicate (to keep a copy) and then rename the duplicate file to X299D.CAP prior to use.

Of course, after flashing, you'll need to either re-enter proper BIOS settings (if upgrading from an earlier BIOS), or, re-load previously saved settings (if re-flashing the same version), before booting into the Mac OS.

Again, the attached BIOS is ONLY for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe version I mobo. As with all posts regarding BIOS, use at your own risk.

EDITED 23 Sept 2019 (last updated: 23 Sept 2019)

added more modified BIOS (latest versions) for various X299 mobos. Listing to date:

ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe (I)
ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II
ASUS X299 Sage/10G
ASUS X299 ROG Rampage VI

ASRock X299 ITX/ac
ASRock X299 Extreme 4
ASRock Fatalty i9 XE

Gigabyte X299 Designare EX

This may not work for any GB mobo: I only have a GB Z390 Designare to test. I tried various image sizes, including the exact same size as the GB logo. Each time when I tried to flash the BIOS, I got "Invalid BIOS Image" error, and wouldn't flash. This may be due to an internal "Security Flash Check", which may prevent a successful flashing of any modded BIOS.

I downloaded the latest version of each BIOS from the their respective manufacturer's web site, and then substituted the image below for the stock image.

Remember to re-name each BIOS as per the manual for the respective mobo prior to flashing.

EDITED 6 Oct 2019: updated BIOS for ASUS (Sage/10G is not yet available) for Intel X-Series 10000 Processors.

The 1902 BIOS is very stable on my PD1 mobo, so I'm sticking with 1902, rather than changing to 2002 (also, I'm not planning on changing out my 9980XE).

AppleLogo.jpg

Attachments

• X299D-AppleLogo.CAP.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 96
  • X299-PD-II-0703-AppleLogo.CAP.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 57
  • WS-X299-SAGE-10G-1201-AppleLogo.CAP.zip
    9.7 MB · Views: 72
  • X299-RAMPAGE-VI-1902-AppleLogo.CAP.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 61
  • X299-ASR-ITX:ac-AppleLogo-X29IT2.10.zip
    12.2 MB · Views: 54
  • X299-ASR-Extreme4-AppleLogo-X29EX41.80.zip
    12.4 MB · Views: 60
  • X299-ASR-Fatalty-i9-XE-AppleLogo-X29PGX1.80.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 63
  • ASUS-X299-PD1-2002-Logo.CAP.zip
    9.4 MB · Views: 96
  • ASUS-X299-PD2-0802-Logo.CAP.zip
    9.7 MB · Views: 87
  • ASUS-X299-RAMPAGE-VI-2002-Logo.CAP.zip
    9 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Nice work man. Thanks
The attached BIOS is the latest version (1902) for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe I (not II) mobo.

The attached, modified BIOS uses the image below as a replacement for the ASUS stock image. I've been using this modified BIOS for a few weeks and it works well and is completely stable (unlike earlier BIOS releases for this mobo).

(In fact, I'd about given up on this mobo, but decided to give it one more go before moving on; this new BIOS was the ticket.)

I prepared the BIOS following the instructions laid out by KGP on the first post of his massive thread (I didn't quite like his image, nor that version of the BIOS). I re-sized the chosen image in an iterative process to maximize the size in order to fit in place of the stock ASUS image (I'll separately attached the final-sized, compressed RAW image in case someone wants to try to use it for some other BIOS). I believe the image was created by someone known as Howiedi2.

This BIOS is flashed as per the ASUS manual. Before flashing, please duplicate (to keep a copy) and then rename the duplicate file to X299D.CAP prior to use.

Of course, after flashing, you'll need to either re-enter proper BIOS settings (if upgrading from an earlier BIOS), or, re-load previously saved settings (if re-flashing the same version), before booting into the Mac OS.

Again, the attached BIOS is ONLY for the ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe version I mobo. As with all posts regarding BIOS, use at your own risk.

View attachment 427018

Hello :) so maybe we have to use even more basic EFI at the beginning :p
Please try with this one and let us know, if something go wrong.
PS: Please say something more about your BIOS settings.. are they same as in KGP guide X299 Mojave....
then on what kind of storage you want to install it, did you add something
to EFI send by me before installation...? :)

Thank you. I'll try the new one. No, I didn't add anything. But are you using those older versions of ALC, Lilu, and WEG for a specific purpose?

I'm using the standard BIOS settings that @kgp outlined. I double checked everything. Maybe it's the mobo. I have the Deluxe II, not the Deluxe (I) and it came with BIOS 0703 x64, ME version 11.11.65.1590.

I'm wondering if I should try an EFI copy with nothing but Fake SMC in there and see how far I can get. If I can't get into Mojave, then I can't examine the system with Hackintool, CC, etc.
Then, maybe I should try to see if it'll go with High Sierra, even though HS was much more difficult to install in my Z370 build. Hmm... I'll report back...

Last edited:

I prepared the BIOS following the instructions laid out by KGP on the first post of his massive thread (I didn't quite like his image, nor that version of the BIOS). I re-sized the chosen image in an iterative process to maximize the size in order to fit in place of the stock ASUS image (I'll separately attached the final-sized, compressed RAW image in case someone wants to try to use it for some other BIOS). I believe the image was created by someone known as Howiedi2.

View attachment 427018

Very nice mate, very nice... Can you please tell us where’s the command to change splash screen in Asus BIOS?

For all the Sage 10G owners, question about power connectors. There are the 24pin power, 2x8 pin EPS and 1 6pin EPS connectors. Do you need use both 2x8pin + 6pin, or just the 2x8pins, or 1 8pin + 1 6pin ??

Thank you

For all the Sage 10G owners, question about power connectors. There are the 24pin power, 2x8 pin EPS and 1 6pin EPS connectors. Do you need use both 2x8pin + 6pin, or just the 2x8pins, or 1 8pin + 1 6pin ??

Thank you

I use just the dual 2x8 pin. The 6 pin is for the pci slots but I didn’t need it so ymmv

Very nice mate, very nice... Can you please tell us where’s the command to change splash screen in Asus BIOS?

It's more complicated than a command switch inside the BIOS setup pages. Within BIOS, you can often turn on or off the logo page, but not vary the actual logo. The image is embedded in BIOS.

In other words, to change a BIOS boot image, you must flash a new BIOS with the desired image over the current BIOS. But before that, you must prepare the BIOS with the new image, writing the new image to a copy of the BIOS to the exact area in the BIOS that stores the old image, and then flash this modified BIOS to your mobo. And most importantly, this BIOS is unique for each mobo.

The technique is described in detail on KGP's first post (here), near the bottom, as reproduced in the Spoiler below. I followed these instructions. His first steps in the instructions, tell you how to compile UEFITool, which is the tool used to read and write the image to a copy of BIOS. This work is done only to the BIOS file; you are not directly writing to your mobo. That is why this modified BIOS must then be flashed to your mobo.

Following the compilation of UEFITool, KGP then describes how to locate the correct image location within the BIOS file and then how to write the new image to that same area.

He does describe how to first verify the image location before writing the new image. Using this method, it should be possible to carefully study a new BIOS, determining where to extract and then write an image. I would think the Mk II version of the Prime Deluxe might not be too difficult to modify; maybe even the Sage/10G has the image in the same location too. Verification would be needed in either case.

I'll look into it. I modified both files for ASUS PD-II and Sage/10G. See my original post (here) for the modified BIOS files.

1.) Installation of the BREW distribution:

a.) Open a terminal and change to "bash" shell.

Code:
bash
b.) Now enter the following "bash" terminal command and follow the standard BREW installation instructions:

Code:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

2.) After the successful installation of the BREW distribution, we have to implement the QT5 distribution, again by using a "bash" terminal shell. Just enter the following "bash" terminal commands:

Code:
brew install qt5
Code:
brew link qt5 --force
3.) After successfully implementing BREW and QT5 and if not already performed in Section B.1), we can now download the actual CodeRush UEFIPatch distribution from Github to our home directory with the following terminal command:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool
4.) Now compile the UEFI Tool distribution with the following terminal commands:

Code:
cd /UEFITool/
qmake uefitool.pro
make
5.) Download and unzip iMacPro.raw.zip to your Desktop.

6.) Now launch by UEFITool by clicking on the newly compiled UEFITool.app in the UEFITools Folder in your home directory.

a.) Select "File" -> "Open image file" and load your patched or unpatched BIOS Firmware distribution.

Select "Search.." in the UEFITool "Edit" Menu and perform a "GUID" search of "7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D" with "Header only"...

You will receive a message "GUID pattern "7BB28B99-61BB-11D5-9A5D-0090273FC14D" found as .... in 7BB28B99-....". Double click on that message and search for the "Raw section" accompanying the "7BB28B99-...." entry, which indeed is the Boot Image, which you can easily verify by extracting the raw section body (right-click on "Raw section" and select "Extract body") to your Desktop and by subsequently opening the extracted raw-file directly with Apple's "Preview.app" (right-click an the raw file and select "Open with.." -> Preview.app).

b.) To exchange the default original ASUS Boot Logo image file stored in "Raw Section" by the iMacPro.raw image file that you previously downloaded to your Desktop, right-click again on "Raw section", select this time "Replace body" and select the iMacPro.raw image file on your Desktop.

Note that the actual image dimension of iMacPro.raw (2131pix x 1457pix) was adopted for its use on my 38" LG 38UC99. For monitors with reduce screen resolution, iMacPro.raw might have to be adopted to an image dimension that suites your particular screen resolution, before its upload to "Raw section". If the Boot Logo image dimension is too big for your Monitor's screen resolution, you might just end up with a black screen during the BIOS initialisation at boot.

To do so, select in the Preview.app Menu -> "Tools" -> "Adjust Size". Change the image dimension and save the modified image with "File" -> "Export". In the "Export menu" press "Save", after selecting "JPEG" under "Format" , after choosing "Desktop" as the place to store the image, and after entering the new file name, which has to end with ".jpg".

Double-check by right-clicking on the resulting jpg image file and selecting "Get Info" that its file size does no exceed 200KB by far. If the latter would be the case, you would not be able to save the modified BIOS Firware file subsequently.

Finally just rename your new "XXXX.jpg" file to "XXXX.raw....

I guess, that by following the procedure detailed above, it is obvious that iMacPro.raw also can be substituted by any other image of your personal choice. Just be aware that it's background colour should be black (ecstatic reason for a its nice integration within the else black ASUS BIOS Boot Screen)

c.) After replacing "Raw Section" with iMacPro.raw or the XXX.raw image of your choice, save your modified BIOS Firmware File with the Option "File" -> "Save Image File..."

d.) Copy your modified BIOS Firmware file to a USB3.0 Flash Drive, formatted with FAT32.

e.) Reboot, enter the Mainboard BIOS and save your BIOS settings to the USB Flash Drive

f.) Flash your mainboard BIOS with the modified BIOS Firmware

g.) Renter the Mainboard BIOS and restore your BIOS settings from the USB Flash Drive

h.) Save your restored BIOS settings with (F7) and (F10), reboot and you are done.

Just don't forget to set BIOS Setting "Boot Logo Display" to "Auto", when using this new approach. Any different setting might result in a black screen during BIOS initialisation.

Last edited:
This morning I downloaded the latest version of each BIOS from the ASUS web site. I next verified that the same location was used for images for each BIOS: extracted the original images, wrote new images and re-extracted those too. All matched up.

Accordingly, I updated my above post (here) to include latest BIOS version for a few mobos.

Remember to re-name each BIOS as per the manual for each respective mobo prior to flashing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back