Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a new CPU/GPU test app from Blackmagic on another thread (here). I didn't want to double post on this thread, wasting storage space, but the app is a useful tool.

It could be reaalllyyy crazy if installing memory in wrong slot could work better than correct option... :) BTW: Check yours, if you didn't already :p

I think (today) we can install HS or Mojave on any X299 motherboard and CPU with Clover, but everything depend of our Clover config, drivers, patches etc... I would like be so smart and have so big experience as KGP or others great people from this forum, but for now I have to learn a lot.... so everything what I can say: if I were you - I'll try to find someone with the same MB and talk with him about his clover config (or open core cfg).

What is your status now..? I mean where you blocked, what's happen... etc... where you are at this moment? ;)

I'm online on the west coast of the United States. I ended up buying the high-end cpu 2018 Mac Mini with 2TB flash, then installed 64GB RAM into it.

I made a fresh Mojave installer with Unibeast for the Hack and the installer did begin to launch –the initial launch with the logo, before you hit options for Disk Utility, Terminal, Install OS– but it froze and remained frozen. I've read that Multibeast doesn't play well with X299, but I thought that I could get at least as far as testing a fresh installer.

I switched it off, reattached the internal NTFS/Windows SSDs, loaded the BIOS I use for Windows 10, and that runs flawlessly and I'm using it as a VSL slave. FWIW, I'm using 64GB RAM as I was for the Z370. I really should not have "upgraded"... :lol:

Gah! I completely went through the original guide and made a new EFI folder. Still have the Random Seed Error +++++. Could someone have a gander at my EFI? I feel like I've been looking at this issue for so long that either I keep repeating the same mistake, or this chip and board do not play well together -except for Windows 10. Please and Thank you...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I'm online on the west coast of the United States. I ended up buying the high-end cpu 2018 Mac Mini with 2TB flash, then installed 64GB RAM into it.

I made a fresh Mojave installer with Unibeast for the Hack and the installer did begin to launch –the initial launch with the logo, before you hit options for Disk Utility, Terminal, Install OS– but it froze and remained frozen. I've read that Multibeast doesn't play well with X299, but I thought that I could get at least as far as testing a fresh installer.

I switched it off, reattached the internal NTFS/Windows SSDs, loaded the BIOS I use for Windows 10, and that runs flawlessly and I'm using it as a VSL slave. FWIW, I'm using 64GB RAM as I was for the Z370. I really should not have "upgraded"... :lol:

Gah! I completely went through the original guide and made a new EFI folder. Still have the Random Seed Error +++++. Could someone have a gander at my EFI? I feel like I've been looking at this issue for so long that either I keep repeating the same mistake, or this chip and board do not play well together -except for Windows 10. Please and Thank you...

Some of the most critical factors for a successful boot are the BIOS settings. For example, some ASUS mobos will only boot into MacOS with Above 4D Decoding disabled; others require it to be enabled. The Launch CSM setting is sometimes influential: again some mobo like enabled, some disabled. Carefully check these with KGP's guide here (see Section B.1). Definitely make certain that MSR Lock Control is disabled and that MFC Mode Override is set to OS Native. Once you've got everything adjusted, remember to save your settings; later on, this makes updates go faster.

Also, if you get too many crashes, the BIOS can become corrupted; in that case, re-flash the BIOS (using the latest version) and re-set your settings ('restore' your saved settings).

One thing that isn't clear from your comments: do you have a fully installed Mojave and can't boot into it, or, are you still trying to install Mojave from a USB drive onto an SSD? If the latter, follow KGP's guide here (see Section D.2).

As for your EFI, you seem to have some unnecessary drivers and I'd change some of the kext entries too. None of your ACPI files are necessary for booting (the XHCI is only cosmetic and Mojave and Catalina automatically supply AMD GPU drivers). The ones I'll supply are also mostly cosmetic except for the Power Management stuff. I think VirtualSMC is a bit better, but I understand some use the FakeSMC version for reporting reasons.

I've prepped a revised EFI (Clover folder only) for you, changing various things in the config.plist file (mostly removing stuff) as well as the things I mentioned in the above paragraph. I also placed extra files into folders named Hide (both in ACPI/patched and kexts/Other). You can look them over later and adapt (like some of the SSDT files) or delete as you like. A few of the drivers I provided are also not absolutely necessary (AudioDxe, DataHubDxe and NTFS); these can be removed if you wish.

I did not change your AsEvil-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D2-XHCI.kext and TSCAdjustReset.kext files (except to verify your settings were correct for your CPU thread count for the latter file).

See how this works. If you still can't boot, re-re-check your BIOS settings.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Some of the most critical factors for a successful boot are the BIOS settings. For example, some ASUS mobos will only boot into MacOS with Above 4D Decoding disabled; others require it to be enabled. The Launch CSM setting is sometimes influential: again some mobo like enabled, some disabled. Carefully check these with KGP's guide here (see Section B.1). Definitely make certain that MSR Lock Control is disabled and that MFC Mode Override is set to OS Native. Once you've got everything adjusted, remember to save your settings; later on, this makes updates go faster.

Also, if you get too many crashes, the BIOS can become corrupted; in that case, re-flash the BIOS (using the latest version) and re-set your settings ('restore' your saved settings).

One thing that isn't clear from your comments: do you have a fully installed Mojave and can't boot into it, or, are you still trying to install Mojave from a USB drive onto an SSD? If the latter, follow KGP's guide here (see Section D.2).

As for your EFI, you seem to have some unnecessary drivers and I'd change some of the kext entries too. None of your ACPI files are necessary for booting (the XHCI is only cosmetic and Mojave and Catalina automatically supply AMD GPU drivers). The ones I'll supply are also mostly cosmetic except for the Power Management stuff. I think VirtualSMC is a bit better, but I understand some use the FakeSMC version for reporting reasons.

I've prepped a revised EFI (Clover folder only) for you, changing various things in the config.plist file (mostly removing stuff) as well as the things I mentioned in the above paragraph. I also placed extra files into folders named Hide (both in ACPI/patched and kexts/Other). You can look them over later and adapt (like some of the SSDT files) or delete as you like. A few of the drivers I provided are also not absolutely necessary (AudioDxe, DataHubDxe and NTFS); these can be removed if you wish.

I did not change your AsEvil-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D2-XHCI.kext and TSCAdjustReset.kext files (except to verify your settings were correct for your CPU thread count for the latter file).

See how this works. If you still can't boot, re-re-check your BIOS settings.

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. I'll try it out after I post this reply. I have a new Mojave installer that I created Thursday.

I have two BIOS setups; one for Windows and one for OSX. The Asus setup screen makes all the little things well-apparent. So with my to-the-digit KGP-friendly BIOS setup saved, I'll make a variation on it with the BIOS changes to test that you proposed. I did get into an installer once using a boot EFI alongside the Unibeast-created Mojave installer, but it hung at the black screen/white apple logo for an hour before I hit the reset switch on the Fractal case. I'm also wondering if there's a minimum RAM speed for this system definition. I've set my RAM to 2066.

I know what you mean about BIOS setup file corruption. The GA-Z370 had problems with this, so I learned to save "known good" setups on a backup flash drive as I became deft in the art of flipping-out mobo batteries.

I'll report back ASAP... Again, thanks.

Update: No dice yet... Still getting the random seed error+++++. It's gotta be the mobo/CPU combo. The only GPU is the RX-580. Since I performed my 2nd most recent config based on the X299 @kgp guide, it's becoming apparent that this may not work. Perhaps I'll try OC and see if I have better luck. Asus Prime Deluxe 2, i9 9940X, 64GB RAM, latest BIOS for this mobo.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. I'll try it out after I post this reply. I have a new Mojave installer that I created Thursday.

I have two BIOS setups; one for Windows and one for OSX. The Asus setup screen makes all the little things well-apparent. So with my to-the-digit KGP-friendly BIOS setup saved, I'll make a variation on it with the BIOS changes to test that you proposed. I did get into an installer once using a boot EFI alongside the Unibeast-created Mojave installer, but it hung at the black screen/white apple logo for an hour before I hit the reset switch on the Fractal case. I'm also wondering if there's a minimum RAM speed for this system definition. I've set my RAM to 2066.

I know what you mean about BIOS setup file corruption. The GA-Z370 had problems with this, so I learned to save "known good" setups on a backup flash drive as I became deft in the art of flipping-out mobo batteries.

I'll report back ASAP... Again, thanks.

Update: No dice yet... Still getting the random seed error+++++. It's gotta be the mobo/CPU combo. The only GPU is the RX-580. Since I performed my 2nd most recent config based on the X299 @kgp guide, it's becoming apparent that this may not work. Perhaps I'll try OC and see if I have better luck. Asus Prime Deluxe 2, i9 9940X, 64GB RAM, latest BIOS for this mobo.

During a recent X299 build, I saw this same error (with both OC and Clover; I don't think you're going to see a difference with the bootloader; you are on Clover v5070, yes?). On GB mobo, one needs "npci=0x2000" as a boot argument to overcome the " random seed error+++++". Not so with ASUS mobos.

It took me some time to track down the problem. It turned out that between boots, the BIOS was re-setting itself, forcing MFC Mode Override is to be re-set, preventing the OSX boot. Once I got it to stick (after repeated BIOS flashing) as OS Native, the boot went well. I also occasionally got the similar errors with CSM and 4D Decoding settings (make sure you try the various combinations of these).

When dealing with boot problems, the other thing to do, is to remove ALL cards and add-ons from the mobo except for the graphics card, including the BT card (use hard wired KB and mouse). This limits extra problems from add-on cards can even affect the required CSM and 4D Decoding settings.

And one other issue. I recently had a bad DDR4 stick (one out of four) that was fouling up boots. Sometimes the opening BIOS screen wouldn't show and repeated boots led to BIOS corruption. Once in BIOS, I corrected the settings, saved them and exited BIOS. On re-boot (as I only later found out), it would not keep these settings, but instead restored stock, default settings, which, in turn, prevented the OSX from booting. A frustrating cycle to say the least.

To sort it out, required placing the minimum amount of DDR4 sticks (usually two), into their proper locations (there is only one; see manual). Repeating this setup to isolate the bad DDR4, finally allowed the correct, Mac-friendly BIOS settings to stick (no changes each time the system was re-booted) and consequently, a proper OSX boot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have a different mobo: The X299 Prime Deluxe II. I have yet to see proof of compatibility with this combo. Windows 10 is flawless on this setup, The RAM is solid (same guts like RAM, PSU, GPU, SSD type, NVMe, cabling and case as the successful Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 build. Unless a fellow Deluxe II had a BIOS config file to try, I think this is bust. I built an OpenCore EFI for the system today. No boot.

Well, it was an interestingly maddening experience, but I'm returning the mobo and processor. It's a shame. I love the processor, I hate the motherboard. -But it is flawless with Windows 10 Pro.

@rj510 you mentioned about RAM, I remember my problem after BIOS update (1603 if I remember well)
with my 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz sticks.
- I had error on MB with RAM, so I couldn't even boot to BIOS, after 3-4 tries I changed back my BIOS to 15xx
2-3 months later I bought 32Gb of Trident Z 3000Mhz 4x8 sticks, I updated BIOS to 19xx from your post
and the problem was the same as before - I couldn't even go to BIOS,
but I knew... it's impossible to have the same error again with new, better type of RAM.

So after 8-10 boot PC started and then everything was OK - Weird thing to do but after that - everything work perfect..
I think if someone have similar problem, it worth to try even 10-15 times to turn off PC, boot, reboot etc, until it works...
It can be related to XMP which (maybe) is not enabled after first boot on new BIOS...
I'm not sure, if it's ASUS tech-team which changed something with new BIOS updates, but I think it's worth to mention about that if you or other users hear somewhere about this kind of problem ;)

PS: I will not mention about my 2nd monitor CF791 which is great but reaaaaly slow to read/transfer signal after turning on... it can be really disturbing when you boot PC and don't see boot screen fast enough...
The same thing is ... when I wake up OSX after sleep, sometimes this screen just seems to be buggy, and can't read/transfer image data immediatly and reset screen few times before finally I see my password screen....
(problem is never present on different monitors) but it's different kind of subject... so ... let's forget about that :p

Hi,
can anyone help me with the error msg I get during boot "amfi code signature failed"
System runs fine otherwise.
Asus Prime Deluxe running latest Mojave build
Thanks

Hi,
can anyone help me with the error msg I get during boot "amfi code signature failed"
System runs fine otherwise.
Asus Prime Deluxe running latest Mojave build
Thanks

AMFI = AppleMobileFileIntegrity check.

Are you using Clover or OpenCore? What boot arguments are you using? What is your SIP boot setting? Are you using FileVault (and which UEFI drivers)? Are you using NVRAM?

Do you place kext files in /L/E/ folder or keep all in kexts/other folder only in EFI boot folder? (They're best kept in kexts/other, and if removed from /L/E/ folder, the cache needs to be re-built: in Terminal, type: "sudo kextcache -i /" without quotes.)

It's my understanding that this can be a graphics issue. Has any settings in either BIOS or config file changed for graphics card (slot used vs BIOS setting)?

Was system booting okay until recently; if so, did anything change? Did this happen after the latest Mojave update (if so, download the delta, or the Combo, update and run again)?

Last edited:
I mean you can try, but I have tried 2 different cards and 3 different antennas when I had the Designare EX X299 (horrible BIOS and major issues btw). The signal strength on the BT was pretty bad and choppy, Wifi was marginal at best, and no BT keyboard/mouse support on boot. It's just not worth the headaches, even though it may seem like a fun experiment for a "clean" system.

So I started using an OSXWifi card (from a previous system) I had and that had issues too. Recently switched to a BCM943602CS PCIe card and all is perfect.

Sorry if I keep repeating stuff, but I'm hoping this helps people avoid spending money/time on things they will have issues with :thumbup:

Using up an extra PCIe slot is no big deal and worth it if you need WIFI/BT. Which nowdays should be all built in anyway (That's what Intel is doing with newer chipsets anyway).

When Intel chipsets with built in BT/Wifi + USB 3.1 become mainstream, Apple will most likely implement drivers for them. For now Apple us using custom BT/Wifi chips that are nowhere to be found ever since 2015/2016 Macs I believe. So we are stuck with many year old Broadcoms.
Hi Izo1...please can you tell me in what order you use sage 10/g slot? i think 2nd for TB card, 3rd for gpu, and for wifi/bt and usb pci/e?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back